Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The son just bought a 2011 Street Glide with 5K on it & of course can't wait to have me ride. It is bone stock, with ABS & cruise package. Here are some thoughts as it compares to my 2011 XC:
A) I love the low end torque. The Vic develops most torque at the mid to high end. However, once in 6th gear, the HD falls flat & has no passing power at all.
B) I love the buttery smooth motor at high rpm. The faster you go, the smoother it gets.
C) Fly-by-wire throttle rocks. When using cruise, the grip stays put & doesn't roll under your hand like the Vic.
D) Superior brakes, by far, but very touchy.
E) Nice handlebar position, no need for pull backs.

The bad:
A) Wind buffeting issues as bad or worse than the XC
B) Radio & cruise controls very small & awkward to use, especially with gloves on.
C) Although the handling is right up there with the Vic, bottoms out real easily on rear suspension.
D) Very cramped seating position (I am 6' with a 31" inseam). Felt like I was driving a compact car!
E) Really miss those huge XC floorboards! Found using the heel shifter very awkward.
F) Limited digital display as compared to Victory.
G) The saddlebags capacity is like a glovebox as compared to the XC!
H) The biggest joke of all: HD gives you a CD player with an I-Pod jack. The son says they want something like $500 bucks to wire the bike like the XC is set up to work the I-Pod thru the audio system:ltr:
He ends up spending $40 for a magnetic I-Pod holder that sits on the gas tank so he can use his I-Pod thru the audio jack!

Conclusion: Other than low end torque, which can be beefed up with cams, I only wish for the smoothness of the HD motor at cruise. I was actually getting used to my XC at 75mph until I rode the Harley!

·
Registered
16 Posts
H) The biggest joke of all: HD gives you a CD player with an I-Pod jack.
Actually, they give you an MP3 disk capable player, not just CD.

Holds about 125-150 songs per disc, at a high bitrate, more at lower quality. At 4 mins per song, thats about 8 hours worth before a song repeats.

Don't see that as a "Joke"

Cant say I agree with you assessment of the radio/cruise switches. I find them VERY usable. Far more so than whats on the Vic. Wind buffeting? With the (useless) stock shield on the SG, yes. Tell your son to look at the "wind-splitter" shield HD sells. Huge improvement and looks good.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
I would actually prefer an MP3 disk player but I guess tech progress waits for no one.

Better yet, if the stereo would just accept an SD card and flash drive, it would be so much better than having to use an iPod. Much less expensive too. I'm not real sure why Victory went with iPod's anyway. What's wrong with a plain 'ole MP3 player. I'm surprised the stereo can't read them or control them; only play them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It took me a while to get use to the IPod on the XC.
I can only get 110-115 max on a cd but it is around 8 hours.
I actually like the CD/MP3 better. I am starting to get the hang of the XC hand controls but it's taking a while. I made a set of cruise peg mounts for my XC so I would have the same position that I have with the tour tech cruise pegs, more natural.
It bottoms out because you are not running enough air in the shocks. The shorter shocks on the Road/street guild are for some folks but not me. They ride rough that is why I still have the factory shocks on my Ultra. More movement.
Once he gets use to the bike he will like it.
I will just stick to my XC

·
Registered
679 Posts

Holds about 125-150 songs per disc, at a high bitrate, more at lower quality. At 4 mins per song, thats about 8 hours worth before a song repeats.

Don't see that as a "Joke"

Cant say I agree with you assessment of the radio/cruise switches. I find them VERY usable. Far more so than whats on the Vic. Wind buffeting? With the (useless) stock shield on the SG, yes. Tell your son to look at the "wind-splitter" shield HD sells. Huge improvement and looks good.
Even that technology is new that their engine design:):)thumb up

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Street Glide vs. XC

Interesting how this was started an HD vs. Victory thread & now has become an "auxiliary audio features" thread.
Just to set the record straight, I am an old fart & initially thought I would never have any use for an I-Pod till I got my wife one. The I-pod touch is great as it has built in wi-fi that enables you to check your e-mail anywhere there is a hot spot. (I am too cheap to get a "smart phone" & pay big bucks for an all-in-one calling plan, would rather spend my money on my ride).

Forgot to mention, I have noticed that the HD motor puts out a lot more heat; not a good thing here in Phoenix in the summertime:mad:
I figure it is due to the fact that the HD is 100% air cooled with no oil cooler like the Vic.

In no way am I meaning to bash Harley, just wanted to post my observations. I still say if I was to buy a bike strictly on sidewalk appeal & accessory availability, I would go HD. The main reason I went to Victory was that their mechanics are known as the "Maytag repairmen" of the industry:)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have noticed that the HD motor puts out a lot more heat; not a good thing here in Phoenix in the summertime:mad:
I figure it is due to the fact that the HD is 100% air cooled with no oil cooler like the Vic.

In no way am I meaning to bash Harley, just wanted to post my observations. I still say if I was to buy a bike strictly on sidewalk appeal & accessory availability, I would go HD. The main reason I went to Victory was that their mechanics are known as the "Maytag repairmen" of the industry:)
I agree. I loved the look of my HD, loved the styling, loved the white walls, loved the lump. But I hated the lean angle, hated the heat off the motor, hated the suspension.

If I were to want a bike for curb appeal or show...no doubt the HD is the clear winner! But I wanted a bike that I could ride without issues or concern. I know that millions of people do ride their HD's millions of miles a year but IMHO the Victory does it better. Would I rather do a long trip in my F250 with its stiff as hell suspension or in a caddy? In the Caddy for sure! The bad thing is that the suspension on my F250 is hard for a reason the HD has no reason!

As far as the heat, this has to do with the amount of oil HD runs vs Victory and the Oil cooler. I installed an oil cooler on my HD it helped some but still hot as hell.

Would I still own an HD? Maybe! Hell if they would have come down to my asking price I would be on a Road King now. Could I afford the Road King, yes but I wanted a bike for what I had in cash! I am glad they did not cuz it forced me to look out of the box and back to Victory. I found a bike for my asking price and I was shocked at what I got for that price. Win win cheers

You mention the smoothness of the HD. I agree with this but the shake at a stop vs the buzz in WOT of the Victory.... well I guess it depends on what a person is willing to live with and what they are sensitive too.

I tend to keep it around 60 here and I have not to much reason to go to sixth. We all know that fifth is smooth as silk on the Vic. Even going to sixth is not bad at cruise just a little noise that I barley can hear.

But setting in traffic I can not stand the shake or the heat!!! :crzy:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I spend 12 weeks a year in Florida, and usually rent a new Street Glide. I agree with most of your comments, other than I have XM so don't use an Ipod.

Also, I have the LLoydz cams now (and still have way less $$ in the XC than a comparable SG). For me, the biggest difference was the suspension, and handling in the mountains where I usually ride. Those rear shocks on the SG are really really inadequate on anything other than perfectly smooth pavement (which we don't have in either California or Florida).

I don't really notice the difference in smoothness, although I agree there is one. However, I don't spend that much time on the freeways anymore. I have a place in the mountains, with the Harleys I usually took the freeway. With the XC, I take Angeles Crest, 75 miles of twisties with only 4 stop signs and very little traffic.:D

Thank goodness we have choices.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Never noticed a signifigant vibration on the X bikes, but that does not mean it has none.
Also if you want the same kind of bottom end that the HD has. All you need to do is get a UNDER drive front pulley, and you will have a huge gain in grunt. At NO POINT in the torque curve does the HD have more torque. They just use lower gearing

·
Registered
528 Posts
Never noticed a signifigant vibration on the X bikes, but that does not mean it has none.
Also if you want the same kind of bottom end that the HD has. All you need to do is get a UNDER drive front pulley, and you will have a huge gain in grunt. At NO POINT in the torque curve does the HD have more torque. They just use lower gearing
first let me say I like my 2011 XC just fine

I disagree with the lower gearing on the HD's. Maybe the newer models but my 07 Ultra is geared a lot higher than my XC is.
They only increased the rear wheel pulley by 2 teeth. 1st gear is a pita when taking off on a incline and loaded as where the XC is sweet.
The torque comes on at 2,000 and fade around 4,500 rpms. It's a 96 ci but have the 103/110 cams.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
first let me say I like my 2011 XC just fine

I disagree with the lower gearing on the HD's. Maybe the newer models but my 07 Ultra is geared a lot higher than my XC is.
They only increased the rear wheel pulley by 2 teeth. 1st gear is a pita when taking off on a incline and loaded as where the XC is sweet.
The torque comes on at 2,000 and fade around 4,500 rpms. It's a 96 ci but have the 103/110 cams.
My charts show signifigantly lower torque from the HD all across the board. A 96" peak of [email protected] and at 2000 it is only making around 70FtLb. The reason the X bike is easier off the incline is that though it has higher gearing; it also has higher torque. Two teeth up on the rear is the same as pulling one off the front, like the under drive pilley

·
Registered
528 Posts
My charts show signifigantly lower torque from the HD all across the board. A 96" peak of [email protected] and at 2000 it is only making around 70FtLb. The reason the X bike is easier off the incline is that though it has higher gearing; it also has higher torque. Two teeth up on the rear is the same as pulling one off the front, like the under drive pilley
I always look forward to reading what you have to say about the cross bikes, that's what I have. You are straight forward and to the point.
The numbers we read are usually basic numbers.
The cams are the SE255 cams. In the stock form my XC has it no doubt about it.
My comparison is with everyday riding. 2 up and passing my Ultra does it a lot easier.
The only reason I say this is I live on a mountain so I ride the same roads almost daily. I have passed cars/trucks in a location that the Ultra had no problem doing with space to spare. I started around a truck in this location (2 up both times) on the XC and almost had to back down because I almost did not make it, even my wife said something about it.
She never says anything.
After riding most of the day yesterday I noticed the Xc is starting to pull better. I have to realize the XC only has 1,800 miles. In about another 3,200 +- the comparison could very well change.
I am still satisfied with the XC. I would like to see Victory offer a new cam with a higher lift and more duration to get the tq. improved at lower rpm's and still keep the warranty like HD does.
The complete cam change on my Ultra was around $600 total.

I am very impressed with the gearing on the cross country

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where can I get the smaller front pulley? That change would also make 6th usable at a lower rpm. I came from a Vulcan with almost 150 ft/lb torque that could go to top gear at most any rpm w/o falling on its face like my XR does.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have been riding for 47 years. Been though a lot of riding courses thought out the years.
She knows that I will not take chances, this is what brought about my post. What happened made both of us nervous.
She is a great passenger. Oh, my Ultra will walk away from a stock Vision.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I seriously doubt that,unless of course you had some major work done on it......If you like the Hardly Dangerous then ride one...I chose to NOT be another sheep in the flock...I don't buy things just because others do or they say this one is better...I look at the total picture.....any questions.....? Keep the rubber side down........

·
Registered
528 Posts
I seriously doubt that,unless of course you had some major work done on it......If you like the Hardly Dangerous then ride one...I chose to NOT be another sheep in the flock...I don't buy things just because others do or they say this one is better...I look at the total picture.....any questions.....? Keep the rubber side down........
I do not either, I buy what I like. Walking away does not mean I stomp them it simply means I keep pulling away. I am not sure if they have better top end but I would think they do. I know my XC does.
My XC is becoming my favorite bike for short rides, 300 miles or less.

·
Registered
573 Posts
When I purchased my XC I had a RoadGlide with a 103" motor and the SE 255 cams. My initial reaction was it had much more torque than the XC. Gearing felt the same, same RPMs at speed in 6th gear.

However, after adding Lloydz cams to the XC, I think it is faster, although not sure about the low end grunt. The XC was several thousand $$ less than a new Harley, so adding cams was a no brainer.

My wife had a minor neck injury several years ago, and she cannot ride pillion on the Harleys because of the limited rear suspension. The XC really soaks up the pot holes:).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I REALLY wish this site would do something to make it reasonable to post images off my drive. I have a HUGE library of dyno charts that would make things much easier to show the how, and why things feel certain ways.

That said.....A cam with higher lift, and longer duration pretty much always shifts the curve UP the scale. Lobe centerline, timing, and overlap is the magic that moves it lower on the scale.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I REALLY wish this site would do something to make it reasonable to post images off my drive...
LOL. It's easy for those of us who are more nerdy. By the same token, I could say I wish it was easier to tune my engine, and you'd probably be slapping your forehead, thinking it's too easy as it is.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts