Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm currently on an '02 Gold Wing but now thinking of moving on to a big CI bagger. Latest issue of Rider magazine had a feature comparing the Vic XC, Harley Street Glide and the Chieftain. Had me leaning towards the XC but I've since seen a video that had Jay Leno testing the Indian and interviewing the designers. Damn - that Indian looked and sounded nice! Jay loved it. So, I'm definitely going to do some more research, give it a hard look and hopefully a test ride. The elect windshield is also attractive I must say. My main worry would be "first year production" potential problems. Will at least have to give the HD a look too! Just told my wife tonight that I'm looking for a new ride while we were out to dinner... Got a long quiet stare initially but she "thawed" some as the night progressed. She used to ride her own bike (we're both in our mid 60s) so I think I could do this without her leaving me (after 44 years)... $$ not a deal killing issue.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The XC and Indian are both nice rides. The best thing that you can do is test ride both and see what you like the best. You should try out the vision too.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
They're both very nice motorcycles. I prefer an overhead cam 4 valve engine that can rev a bit higher over a 2 valve pushrod engine. Strickly a preference on my part. I like the Chieftain but I'd never trade my CCT for one. But I'd not trade away the CCT for anything else either.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well, I'm currently on an '02 Gold Wing but now thinking of moving on to a big CI bagger. Latest issue of Rider magazine had a feature comparing the Vic XC, Harley Street Glide and the Chieftain. Had me leaning towards the XC but I've since seen a video that had Jay Leno testing the Indian and interviewing the designers. Damn - that Indian looked and sounded nice! Jay loved it. So, I'm definitely going to do some more research, give it a hard look and hopefully a test ride. The elect windshield is also attractive I must say. My main worry would be "first year production" potential problems. Will at least have to give the HD a look too! Just told my wife tonight that I'm looking for a new ride while we were out to dinner... Got a long quiet stare initially but she "thawed" some as the night progressed. She used to ride her own bike (we're both in our mid 60s) so I think I could do this without her leaving me (after 44 years)... $$ not a deal killing issue.
Take a look at Leno's body position. He's only 5'10" and he's cocked back like he'e riding a chopper with the curve in his back in an ergonomically disasterous C shape, his feet are falling off the front of the floorboards, knees are above the hips.

Leno.jpg

It may seem perfectly comfortable for a 40 mile ride around the hills, but I'm thinking his comfort would diminish quick on the long haul.

Harleys are similarly compact, but tall people still seem to manage. Just don't know why one would unless they are more about the badge than the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
While was thinking seriously on a Chieftain for a while even to the point of Trading in both Bikes owned to get one, am starting to think The 2 Vics I own are just fine .. Not saying it couldn't happen, but for the time being will Enjoy my XC and KP ..

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well, I'm currently on an '02 Gold Wing but now thinking of moving on to a big CI bagger. Just told my wife tonight that I'm looking for a new ride while we were out to dinner... Got a long quiet stare initially but she "thawed" some as the night progressed. She used to ride her own bike (we're both in our mid 60s) so I think I could do this without her leaving me (after 44 years)... $$ not a deal killing issue.
Biggest thing she will beat you about is the rear seat comfort. the GL1800 is the gold standard is passanger comfort. Ii have had my XCT for a year now and I never hear the end of ho w the GW was so much more comfortable.

If $$ are not a deal killer keep the GL1800 and get a Bagger.

Wife will be happier and life will be easier.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I am liking your KP gatorjoe!, good color combo and the luggage goes well with the bike.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I test drove a few of the Harley Ultras a few years back...and settled on the Victory XCT. Last year I test drove TWICE at two different locations the Indian Cheftain...and while I really liked the STYLE of the bike, and I really liked the HISTORY and TRADITION of the bike, for me personally, I would NOT GIVE UP MY VICTORY XCT. I love this bike STILL after almost 2.5 years and 30,000 miles. LOVE RIDING IT!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I rode all the new Chief models and even though I'm only 5' 6" I felt that crampness like the touring Harley's are only not quite as bad. The Indian's rode really nice suspension wise and power was adequate but not thrilling. I didn't like the way the air cleaner pushed your leg outward on one side of the bike but not the other, felt un-natural. My conclusion after riding them....there is no bike out there that compares to an XC like the one I already own so I've already got the best bike that can be had. Sorry Indian, I'm sure some people will really like them but the X bikes win IMO.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I wanted an XC from the 1st time I laid eyes on one. I got over the Street Glide thing when I took ownership of my 11 XC. When it comes down to HD and Indian it's definitely about the badge. There is not one XC owner that has ran to trade his bike for a Chief that I know of or read of. The ones that did cant admit it is a better bike. If you think HD and Indian is better than a Cross bike I would like to hear why. Looks alone wont get it and so far neither has me wanting to trade my XC.

Polaris, Please re-design the looks of the Chieftain fairing (not the function). Fuggly!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I gotta agree with what you guys are saying about the XC. It is a great bike. I love that for the same price if not less. My XCT can be a slick bagger by removing the trunk and having klockworks windshield. Or it can be a touring bike in under 30 min by putting the tall windshield back on and the trunk back on. The are also more aftermarket mod out there for the cross bikes. With Lloydz air filter, VFC, Timing wheel and patriot true duels it sounds and runs like a beast. With a little trip to Lloydz this summer it will be even better. At this point with indian you are stuck with stage one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the real question is what are you riding styles?

On a Wing I'm assuming you like the touring aspect/luggage. Or you must just like the comfort.

I absolutely love the new Indians but I'm leaning towards a Vintage.

The Vision is Victory's best riding bike but suffers somewhat in storage. The Cross Tour is a close second but kicks the Vision to the curb in storage.

The only plus the Chieftan has at this moment over the CCT is the electrically adjustable windshield.

Power wise down low the Indians just rock, over 4500 fall flat right now.

If Victory redoes the saddlebags and Vision lighting I'll trade my CCT in New York minute. Until then my CCT is my go to bike.

The Indians are very nice but it'll be a season or two for the tour pak for the Chiefs and they are a bit smaller.

·
Premium Member
13,709 Posts
Biggest thing she will beat you about is the rear seat comfort. the GL1800 is the gold standard is passanger comfort. Ii have had my XCT for a year now and I never hear the end of ho w the GW was so much more comfortable.

If $$ are not a deal killer keep the GL1800 and get a Bagger.

Wife will be happier and life will be easier.
+1. Add to the stable and have your touring 2-up bike and your day riding bagger for one or two up. Of course this bagger could easily go touring but that is more of a bonus than a reason to have two.

I know it's not easy to have two bikes but if possible; it's a really good way to go. Keeps both rides fresh and interesting.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Couple points. I own a Cross Country Tour and it replaced a 2003 Indian. Knowing that the Indian I owned is not a Polaris product, the similarities, especially to less knowledgeable eyes, are visible.

On the Indian you will get saddled with conversation until everyone that lived through the fifties and sixties is dead. Pop has owned vintage iron for most of my adult life and nothing sparks a sidewalk interrogation more than a new Indian except an old Indian, but it's close.

You ain't gonna get that on a Cross bike. Not nearly to the degree you will on the Indian so if you are sociable and like to shine for the crowd, then nothing compares to valanced fenders.

I bought the Vic planning to trade it for the Indian when it was released. I have since rethought that plan. I'm keeping the red bike. It fills some niches I haven't previously had filled by my other bikes. If nothing else it's a source of consternation for some of my pals. That alone is enough benefit to me to keep it. The only people that you will have to suffer slings and arrows from on the Indian are the keepers of the Hendee flame who feel all their years of carrying the torch is belittled by Johny Come Latelys.

Going to get a new Indian. Not yet. Somewhere along the line though. It will have a place of honor next to my Vic and my HD's. It won't take the place of any of them.

The other point is somebody has been waiting for this. Somewhere in Polaris central some pencil neck is sitting at a monitor reading this. If I was Mr. Polaris I would be beside myself to have reported to me that on a web forum there is a thread that is gathering comparison data so a buyer can decide between one of my products and the other of my products.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Couple points. I own a Cross Country Tour and it replaced a 2003 Indian. Knowing that the Indian I owned is not a Polaris product, the similarities, especially to less knowledgeable eyes, are visible.

On the Indian you will get saddled with conversation until everyone that lived through the fifties and sixties is dead. Pop has owned vintage iron for most of my adult life and nothing sparks a sidewalk interrogation more than a new Indian except an old Indian, but it's close.

You ain't gonna get that on a Cross bike. Not nearly to the degree you will on the Indian so if you are sociable and like to shine for the crowd, then nothing compares to valanced fenders.

I bought the Vic planning to trade it for the Indian when it was released. I have since rethought that plan. I'm keeping the red bike. It fills some niches I haven't previously had filled by my other bikes. If nothing else it's a source of consternation for some of my pals. That alone is enough benefit to me to keep it. The only people that you will have to suffer slings and arrows from on the Indian are the keepers of the Hendee flame who feel all their years of carrying the torch is belittled by Johny Come Latelys.

Going to get a new Indian. Not yet. Somewhere along the line though. It will have a place of honor next to my Vic and my HD's. It won't take the place of any of them.

The other point is somebody has been waiting for this. Somewhere in Polaris central some pencil neck is sitting at a monitor reading this. If I was Mr. Polaris I would be beside myself to have reported to me that on a web forum there is a thread that is gathering comparison data so a buyer can decide between one of my products and the other of my products.
Ha! your hot **** pop! So what your saying is no matter how crude and ugly something is it just may be good enough to be the King? :crzy: Then I would have to put HD as the undisputed king of the cruiser bagger world. No sense in arguing about it. It is what it is. I don't have to like it which obviously shows in my choice. cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
They're both very nice motorcycles. I prefer an overhead cam 4 valve engine that can rev a bit higher over a 2 valve pushrod engine. Strickly a preference on my part. I like the Chieftain but I'd never trade my CCT for one. But I'd not trade away the CCT for anything else either.
I love my 2013 XCT too. I might buy a Chief Vintage or Chieftain over a XC, but neither over a XCT. I had a 2010 Electra Glide and I use to ride Wings, Voyagers, and Ventures but the XCT is the best so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts