Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you drill thru the top lid from the dimples on the inside do you drill straight or at an angle? I see the legs are at an angle but not sure if that matters. Also should the top lid be removed before I drill. Thanks much for any advice.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Try to drill as perpendicular to the lid as possible. I used a small drill for the pilot hole, then worked my way up to the final size.

I've done 2, easy.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I added a rack from CycleOps, i.e., not one from Victory, but it uses the same dimples. Regardless, I left the lid in place, just holding it open most of the way with one hand while drilling with the other. Like ridinman, I used several sizes of bits, and I agree that perpendicular is the way to go, unless looking at the angle of the rack's support legs gives you some reason to think otherwise.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
One other thing: I don't know what washers you get with other racks, but instead of using the supplied ones, I bought some 1 1/4" fender washers and also correspondingly wide rubber washers at Lowes, to spread the load out some more. (I left the outside "as is," and with the supplied legs and rubber washers.)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I was planning on bigger fender washers on the inside, someone posted about some decorative washers they mounted under the rack but I can't find it.

Plus when drill I drill dead center of the dimples in that direction or make sure my 1/8" bit is square in the dimple don't angle it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes I was planning on bigger fender washers on the inside, someone posted about some decorative washers they mounted under the rack but I can't find it.

Plus when drill I drill dead center of the dimples in that direction or make sure my 1/8" bit is square in the dimple don't angle it.
Yep, I guess the best way -- IMHO -- is to pretend that the drill bit is the bolt, i.e., follow the angle that the bolt will wind up taking, as best you can determine from looking at the legs. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
... someone posted about some decorative washers they mounted under the rack but I can't find it.
For the top side of racks, "star" washers are pretty commonly used. See http://wingstuff.com/shop/rack_washers_risers to see what I'm talking about; that page has these from several manufacturers.

If you want to go upscale a tiny bit, you might be interested in something like American Motorcycle Accessories' part # 2013. You can find those at http://www.hondadirectlineofshadyside.com/stores/product.asp?pid=6639&str=4&ID=594283315 and http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/trunk_rack_base_washer_kit/79/132318 , as well as the manufacturer's site, http://www.americanmotorcycleaccessories.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AMA2013 .

·
Registered
204 Posts
For a real challenge, try drilling your trunk for a non-Victory luggage rack....;)!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Is that the Harley-Davidson premium luggage rack? If so, then that's the one I want to install also. Very reasonable price and looks great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Did you bend the legs inward before mounting?

·
Registered
100 Posts
That rack looks amazing on the bike. I think I found the perfect one. And it's less than $90 from Surdyke HD. Did you just set it on the top, center it and then mark the holes for drilling?

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is the sidecar rack. I almost installed one, wife didn't like it.:crzy:
Seeing as Netnorske hasn't replied I'll correct you in that it is the Premium rack not the sidecar rack. I know this as Netnorske and I both had the same rack and bags on our Nomads and he opted to put the same setup on his Victory and I'm wishing I had done the same instead of going with the Victory rack and bag.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, it is the Premium HD rack. I did have to carefully bend the legs and also use some small rack risers on the legs for it to fit just right. Once you get the angles all worked out, it's just a matter of centering it up and with the help of some painters tape and bungee cords, mark and drill the holes. I love the rack as it carries a real load.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Yes, it is the Premium HD rack. I did have to carefully bend the legs and also use some small rack risers on the legs for it to fit just right. Once you get the angles all worked out, it's just a matter of centering it up and with the help of some painters tape and bungee cords, mark and drill the holes. I love the rack as it carries a real load.

Cool Which rack risers did you use and where did you get them from? Looks awesome!

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
New Kuryakyn Rack

Hey Brogg,
FYI, Kuryakyn now has a "multi-fit" rack, its capable of fitting several different tourpacks. similar design as the HD premium, but you don't have to bend the legs. The way it's built, the legs conform to the what ever top it's being put on. Sorry I don't have a pic, but it works, cost is 179.00. However, Net's set up does look better, but I am extremely satisfied with this one. Like I said, just an FYI

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts