Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Great video, thank you for posting it. So much was said in it about the Victory line looking forward. Only it was all replaced by the Polaris Indian line that only looks back.

Reactions: FoFo

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I didn't see one burn-out in that whole video.... :rolleyes:

I am actually a little sad after watching, it hit home as to what could have been and what motorcycling has lost.

·
Registered
801 Posts
wow that really made it hit home....WTF have they done!!!

Rob

Reactions: FoFo

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I didn't see one burn-out in that whole video.... :rolleyes:

I am actually a little sad after watching, it hit home as to what could have been and what motorcycling has lost.
Exactly, a total disconnect between those with the passion to 'build' something unique and senior management who ultimately did a duck and run.

I'm sorry to be a skipping record here but Polaris 'could' have taken Victory into several market segments. Dual Sport, Naked, Off Road, 750cc entry level etc. All the things they now talk about doing with Polaris Indian. Can anyone besides Steve Menneto see a Polaris Indian in those market segments?

Reactions: abe5 and pagan43

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I wished we could have had a 20th Anniversary. I've been riding Victory's for 14 years. They screwed us all. You can't depend on Polaris to stay in to it for the long run. How long will Indian be here?

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
The big mistake Polaris made was buying the Indian name then putting all its motorcycle segment eggs into one basket shutting out future development of the Victory line.

They literally threw the baby out with the bathwater. Their own baby; their own beautiful creation that just kept getting better (mostly).

All those responsible for this extremely stupid and very poor decision should be replaced with people who actually have a brain. Then do the right thing and bring Victory back. Downsize Indian to a few models because America already has a nostalgic brand of bikes with HD.

Victory was the edgier more modern American bike to bring young people into the sport then Polaris just threw it away like it was nothing. How completely ignorant on so many levels. If they were going to be this stupid I wish they would be a little dumber and sell the brand to someone who is smart enough to build into what it was meant to be.

It's still possible. It can still happen. Likely? No; but it is possible.

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did the asshole want indian when everything was going there way. Guess they forgot about this great video telling how everyone felt

·
Registered
348 Posts
The dealer I bought my Vision from is hurting really bad, sales are down more than 50% at his 3 locations and he sells Indian, Polaris and sold Victory. Loosing Victory has taken a big chunk out of his pocketbook.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah its rich. I hope they dont look back too much with Indian. The world deserves better. Low performance nostalgia is over with and that's something to celebrate about.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
The dealer I bought my Vision from is hurting really bad, sales are down more than 50% at his 3 locations and he sells Indian, Polaris and sold Victory. Loosing Victory has taken a big chunk out of his pocketbook.
The people who own and work at my local dealer are great people. They opened Crockett Powersports with Indian, Victory and Slingshot. After just over a year in business, Polaris killed off one leg of their tripod business model. I hope everyone at Crockett Powersports does well, I really do. They're real motorcycle enthusiasts, wonderful people and they're my friends and neighbors.

But as I travel around to dealers in the Southeast I continually see ever expanding Polaris Indian motorcycle inventories. The comments I typically get when I ask how things are going is "great". But that's about what I'd expect them to say. The Victory displays are nearly all gone and the dealers are mostly selling whatever they had left online at places like eBay and Amazon.

So, when does the Polaris Indian market get saturated with people wanting an ergonomic copy of a H-D Street Glide with fat fenders and less power? Getting rid of the fat fenders like Polaris has done on some of their model versions IMHO, really takes away from what brought the Polaris Indian buyer into the showroom in the first place. It's the most visual clue that it's an "Indian'. I don't like the fat fenders nor the Chieftain fairing at all so they can do whatever they want to. I'm not their target market, at all.

After just a couple minutes with most Polaris Indian dealer reps and the most common comment I hear is: "I don't think they (Polaris) understood how loyal Victory owners are to Victory." and various versions of "they (Polaris) tell us great things are coming for the Indian line" to which I always respond: "the same people who are telling you that said the exact same thing about Victory before they killed it off".

Oh well, I'm loving my CCT and I'm very happily staying with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The big mistake Polaris made was buying the Indian name then putting all its motorcycle segment eggs into one basket shutting out future development of the Victory line.

They literally threw the baby out with the bathwater. Their own baby; their own beautiful creation that just kept getting better (mostly).

All those responsible for this extremely stupid and very poor decision should be replaced with people who actually have a brain. Then do the right thing and bring Victory back. Downsize Indian to a few models because America already has a nostalgic brand of bikes with HD.

Victory was the edgier more modern American bike to bring young people into the sport then Polaris just threw it away like it was nothing. How completely ignorant on so many levels. If they were going to be this stupid I wish they would be a little dumber and sell the brand to someone who is smart enough to build into what it was meant to be.

It's still possible. It can still happen. Likely? No; but it is possible.

Man you hit the nail on the head. Could have kept a few Indian models for american nostilga (cause can't really expand on them). Then kept victory for the future of american motorcycle innovation (to keep the market fresh). And to keep HD on their toes. I hate that that HD can just keep going on the fact they don't really have any direct competition. Sad.

·
Premium Member
13,730 Posts
Man you hit the nail on the head. Could have kept a few Indian models for american nostilga (cause can't really expand on them). Then kept victory for the future of american motorcycle innovation (to keep the market fresh). And to keep HD on their toes. I hate that that HD can just keep going on the fact they don't really have any direct competition. Sad.
That's not really true. Indian is its most direct competition now that Victory is gone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I went to the local Harley shop and people everywhere. Left and went to the Indian dealership and it looked like a ghost town. That's all I'm saying. I think victory was much more compition to Harley. That's just my thinking.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Watching that video was a bittersweet experience. Those talking heads were so full of pride and optimism for Victory's future. But somewhere along the way they lost the vision - pun intended. There's nothing that can be added here that I and others have not said before...its like kicking that proverbial dead horse. So sad when you consider what could have been and should have been. Damn!

·
Registered
435 Posts
They need to push innovation and performance advantage over HD if Indian is going to survive.

Here is the Terminator 2 Cop bike. I almost died when I seen this. A Buell dressed up as an Indian...cop bike. Now thats entertainment!
FAKE NEWS /
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Sad sad sad...great video.
Polaris execs should be strapped into chairs with eyes wired wide open and forced to watch this video.
A la Clockwork Orange style!
And given electric shocks to boot!
https://youtu.be/E51-2B8gHtk

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
That's not really true. Indian is its most direct competition now that Victory is gone.
But now with the H-D 107 and 114, there isn't a single model that Polaris Indian has that betters its H-D counterpart. Add in the H-D network, aftermarket and resale and well...why buy a Polaris Indian?

Reactions: BBob

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Watching that video was a bittersweet experience. Those talking heads were so full of pride and optimism for Victory's future. But somewhere along the way they lost the vision - pun intended. There's nothing that can be added here that I and others have not said before...its like kicking that proverbial dead horse. So sad when you consider what could have been and should have been. Damn!
To me the saddest parts are it's very likely those in the video didn't lose any of their their original vision, passion and eagerness to build the Victory brand and to successfully take it in many directions. Their direction and their directive was likely dictated to them by senior management as follows: "Forget Victory and start working on Indian. We paid MILLIONS for the name and we need to turn a profit asap."

To add insult to injury, these same passionate designers then had to look through books at what other passionate designers had done with Indian in decades past for their major design cues.

In the last few years of Victory and certainly now at Polaris Indian, the designs reek of stifled creativity. Paint, wheels, chrome, blacked out and a big or 'normal' front fender do not a make 'new' models.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I went to the local Harley shop and people everywhere. Left and went to the Indian dealership and it looked like a ghost town. That's all I'm saying. I think victory was much more compition to Harley. That's just my thinking.
Not in my neck of the woods. Been on my XR since 2012 and I rarely see another Victory around here but as soon as the local Indian dealership opened up I started seeing Polaris Indians all over the place. They even have a club started up and their own bike night but usually more HD's there than any thing else.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts