Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Not trying to offend..but i love Victory bikes..and all the media and great kudos they receive...

Living Down under..some of your'e war heroes and film stars we may or may not know...as you would have no clue who ours are...Hugh jackman, Nicole kidman, Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe etc..and of course Paul Hogan..AKA Crocodile Dundee..

I look at the victory videos on you tube.. and if i close my eyes Gunny IS Grandpa Simpson....

Again , please dont berate me as i am not trying to offend, and Gunny does a great job of taking it to the street..

regards,

Derek cheers cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes..don't know Gunny's history..

But know the Simpsons voices.

Regards all,

Derek

And no offence meant..thumb up

·
Registered
554 Posts
R. Lee Ermey is a real Marine Gunnery Sergeant and Drill Instructor who got into acting. He has played some pretty amazing characters but ironically his most famous might be playing a Marine Drill Instructor in the movie Full Metal Jacket.

·
Registered
851 Posts
No offense taken but at the same time I just don't see it. Maybe because most of us Yanks know Gunny as this guy
(Warning: vulgar language - don't select if you are easily offended)

And Grandpa Simpson as this guy

BTW here is Gunny's bio from his website http://www.rleeermey.com/about.php
As a Golden Globe nominee and Boston Society of Film Critics Award-winner for Best Supporting Actor in director Stanley Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket (1987)", R. Lee Ermey is one of the most successful and talented actors working in film and television today.

His numerous roles in feature film include: "Switchback (1997)", starring opposite Dennis Quaid and Danny Glover, "Seven (1995)", "Leaving Las Vegas (1995)", "Murder In The First (1995)", "Life (1999)", "The Frighteners (1996)" and "Sommersby (1993)" as well as his critically acclaimed role opposite Jared Leto in "Prefontaine (1997)". He continues doing numerous voice over roles which span from "The Simpsons" to "Toy Story (1995)" and "Toy Story 2 (1999)".

Ermey spent eleven years in the Marine Corps, Two of which were spent as being a Drill Instructor at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, India Company 3rd Recruit Training Battalion 1965-67, Arrived in Vietnam in 1968 spending 14 months attached to Marine Wing Support Group 17 and 2 tours in Okinawa. He rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant and was medically retired for injuries received. On May 17, 2002 he received an honorary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant (E-7) by Commandant James L. Jones, becoming the first retiree in the history of the Marines to be promoted. Using G.I. Bill benefits, Ermey enrolled at the University of Manila in the Philippines, where he studied drama. Francis Ford Coppola was filming "Apocalypse Now (1979)" in the area and cast Ermey in a featured role. He has since gone on to star or appear in approximately sixty films.

Ermey is no stranger to prestigious television either. He has starred in numerous telefilms including HBO’s "Weapons Of Mass Distraction (1997)", TNT’s "Rough Riders (1997)", and TNT’s "You Know My Name (1999)", starring Sam Elliot, as well as Showtime’s "The Apartment Complex (1999)".

Recently, Lee starred with Elizabeth Pena in the feature "On the Borderline (2001)". Just before that, Lee was in the feature film "Skipped Parts (2000)", with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Drew Barrymore. He also had a recurring role on FOX’s critically acclaimed "Action", starring Jay Mohr and Illeana Douglas.

Watch Lee each week on his NEW show, LOCK N' LOAD on History. Lee most recently starred in "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)". Lee has appeared opposite Jeff Bridges in "Scenes of The Crime (2001)", Harvey Keitel in "Taking Sides (2001)" and Crispin Glover in "Willard (2003)".

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Goatlocker, you felt the need to put up a 'vulgar language' warning for THAT, if some big pussy on this site is offended by that I think it would be instructional to find that out, I find your warning offensive.

You must have voted for Obama... and how the hell old are you? I thought it was only our young brain washed masses that were so PC indoctrinated that such a warning would enter their minds...

Ok... I have vented.

:crzy:

Oh, by the way I forgot to say "Goatlocker, if you are easily offended please don't read this comment" sorry.

:cool:

·
Registered
851 Posts
You must have voted for Obama... and how the hell old are you? I thought it was only our young brain washed masses that were so PC indoctrinated that such a warning would enter their minds...

Ok... I have vented.
I guess you can't always judge a book by its cover now can you. 26 year Navy Senior Chief (Google Navy Goat Locker and maybe you'll get a clue) and a Republican but nice try.

However, I am also a Christian who believes in being respectful of others.

I do hope that you feel better after your vent :rolleyes:

Have a nice day :)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Yes, the venting helped.

Thanks for your 26 years in the service of the Country!

I'm former Army, in and out in 3 years.

I'm a heathen who doesn't mind if some weiner gets his panties in a bunch.

Thanks for that clip, the donut scene is priceless.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's all good and thank you for your service as well.

Being a heathen and former Dog Face maybe you can appreciate this scene since it has extensively more vulgar language (sorry just can't help myself :p ) Although, depending on when you came in, if the Army boot camp is anything like the Navy's then it is MUCH more PC these days :(

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Now THAT was properly offensive, thank you.

My basic training was in the early 70's, perhaps the Navy had gone limp by then but that clip was pretty much a right on portrayal of the U.S. Army training. :cool:

... although a little tame by comparison. thumb up

·
Registered
851 Posts
I went through boot in 84. Wasn't quite as intense as that scene but not exactly a picnic either. I understand that the Navy doesn't drill with rifles anymore, and they wear sneakers during drill :eek:

I guess the Company Commanders or CC (Navy's version of the DI) can't curse at the boots anymore either. Boot camp is about tearing down individuals and building teams as well as weeding out the ones who just can't hack it. You can't do that when you are worried about hurting their feelings. I just hope our next enemy is as "PC" as we are or else we'll get our butts kicked :mad:

Although, as I've said before, I do believe in respect for others, the military is about giving and following orders; they aren't suggestions or requests. After all when the Huns are coming over the hill they aren't coming for tea ;)

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
To my fellow veteran buddies; ain't it the sh*ts having to vote for presidential candidates that never donned a uniform and served their country? BTW, what does a Kenyan Army uniform look like?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Who is the market he appeals to?

FWIW, I'm in PR and marketing and came to Victory through an unusual door--the one that didn't have the Moto Guzzi I wanted behind it. Anyway, about the time I arrived, so did "Gunny." And I've been puzzled, if not put-off, by his diatribe ever since.

I did Army Basic a long time ago (Viet Nam era) and laugh at the stupidity of most of it now, but still believe in the institution's value. What I don't get is who this actor's character is aimed at? Is he appealing to older crotchrocketeers? Even-more-mature Harley guys? Eurobike owners who want better-engineered cruisers than Harley offers? If you answered yes to any of these, I'd like to know your rationale for being attracted to, much less, believing this barking actor.

Glad he retired from service with a legitimate disability; I was wondering if it were DADT. :p

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
To my fellow veteran buddies; ain't it the sh*ts having to vote for presidential candidates that never donned a uniform and served their country? BTW, what does a Kenyan Army uniform look like?
NO **** dont get me fuckn started... OooooRahhh...Kill em all and let God sort them out..pass the doobie and give me a beer..

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
FWIW, I'm in PR and marketing...What I don't get is who this actor's character is aimed at?
You are in marketing and don't understand the use of celebrity in selling a product?

Look at the number of vets that ride bikes and the Vic discounts afforded to vets to court that population. What better celebrity could one hope to find to market to this demographic?

I also find all the barking silly and did at the time I was subjected to it too, but watching Gunny pull off his shtick so smoothly is truly a thing to behold IMO.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What I don't get is who this actor's character is aimed at? Is he appealing to older crotchrocketeers? Even-more-mature Harley guys? Eurobike owners who want better-engineered cruisers than Harley offers? If you answered yes to any of these, I'd like to know your rationale for being attracted to, much less, believing this barking actor.
Personally I see him as being aimed at the Harley crowd (though I disagree with the "even-more-mature" part). The reason is because, in America, he is recognized as an icon from the Nam era. Not only because he served in Nam but also because of his many movie appearances from that time as well.

His persona is that of a hardcore red-blooded American; the type who wouldn't be caught dead on any "Jap Crap". I think the idea is to have the Harley crowd ask themselves "If a real American like R. Lee Ermey can ride a Victory why not me?" And the whole Sturgis series was all about challenging Harley riders by questioning whether or not they had enough cojones to ride a motorcycle that outperforms their Harley.

I don't think there would be any appeal to the older crotchrocketeers or Eurobike owners. They don't seem to be the type swayed by his personality but would rather be brought over with the technological advantages that Victory offers.

As for his effectiveness, I didn't nor would I buy a Victory or any other product becasue of their spokesman. But that's me ;)
Glad he retired from service with a legitimate disability; I was wondering if it were DADT. :p
I'd like to know YOUR rationale for thinking that :confused:.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hi Guys,

Not trying to offend..but i love Victory bikes..and all the media and great kudos they receive...

Living Down under..some of your'e war heroes and film stars we may or may not know...as you would have no clue who ours are...Hugh jackman, Nicole kidman, Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe etc..and of course Paul Hogan..AKA Crocodile Dundee..

I look at the victory videos on you tube.. and if i close my eyes Gunny IS Grandpa Simpson....

Again , please dont berate me as i am not trying to offend, and Gunny does a great job of taking it to the street..

regards,

Derek cheers cheers
that is pretty funny D. Its a little bit of a stretch but i think if gunny tried his older lol man voice it might be spot on..thats funny as hell. Now when i see it cause i actully hate it..i will think of that...

Since I am a Marine and knowing other Jarheads I bet gunny would laugh his ass off at that..cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
FWIW, I'm in PR and marketing and came to Victory through an unusual door--the one that didn't have the Moto Guzzi I wanted behind it. Anyway, about the time I arrived, so did "Gunny." And I've been puzzled, if not put-off, by his diatribe ever since.

I did Army Basic a long time ago...

First off, you were Army, Arent Ready to be Marines Yet (if that gets your panites in a bunch then you are probably not combat vet and a POG). So until you post up your ribbon bar, R. Lee Ermey's chest holds more wight then yours.

Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Drill Instructor Ribbon, Vietnam Gallantry Cross, Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Rifle Expert Badge, Pistol Sharpshooter Badge

Who does he appeal to? Well Marines first, anyone else who repects the military second, and third anyone who appreaciates a bad ass. Everyone knows him from the movie... but he backed it up with ribbons on his chest.

Dont worry though... soon they will have a playmate as a secondary spokes person for everyone.

Semper Fi, Kill babies, YUT YUT!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts