1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Reactions: 53canuck

·
Registered
566 Posts
Interesting article, especially the comment about going to smaller bikes to appeal to new riders. That's the allure of the Scout Sixty and Victory will probably do something similar with the Octane (please don't call it the Octane Sixty).

I'd also like to see Victory go after the sportbike segment, too. There's probably a lot more in the new Scout/Octane 1200.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This article is from last winter.

Reactions: SubDude

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
This article from march 2015 is mostly right on IMHO. I would certainly hope that by now the pinheads at Victory have determined they have little chance of taking too much from H-D. Especially with most of their eggs firmly in the Indian basket these days. Victory is so clearly playing second fiddle that it seems most Victory motorcycle owners care much more for the brand than does Victory Motorcycles.

The Vision - IMHO, the Vision has been the single biggest albatross around the neck of Victory Motorcycles. At the time (2007) of the Vision's introduction, Victory was chasing H-D and their customer base like a teenager yearning for attention. Same as from their first V92C in 1997. A company (H-D) that's been looking at its past for its future models for many generations. The aesthetics of the Vision proved so polarizing, that most of the very customers Victory was helplessly chasing, literally laughed them off at their first sight of the Vision. Most, to this day, still consider Victory the company makes that 'odd looking' bike. For many of those riders, Victory has forever been withdrawn from their purchase consideration. Even non riders when told about a Victory will often ask if that's that weird/ugly/odd/strange looking bike.
I've read that Victory hasn't really sold many Visions since its introduction. If that's true, or close to it, the Vision would certainly have proven to be a hugely unsuccessful motorcycle. Maybe that's why the Vision price is lower than the CCT price.
Yes, I know nearly all Vision owners swear by, not at, their Visions. The problem is there simply has never been enough of you. In that case, it's a sales failure.

Go Smaller - done, in part with the Octane. Pretty easy to guess an 800cc version could be a very short 'design team' effort.

Adventure Bike - I hope not. That market is so over done there really isn't a place for Victory IMHO. Nearly all the major companies are already their so what's the point? Further distraction from Victory's core competence?

Victory Sport Bike - Why, because EBR hasn't proven that dog won't hunt enough.

Go Electric - done, almost with the rebranded Brammo unit. I suspect the first 2 or 3 series will be very slow sellers. Give it another 5 to 10 years for the potential riders to find their interest. By that time, Victory may not be recognizable as it is today so who knows.

How about Victory Motorcycles simply improving on what they have done well. A few steel frame models and a few cross models. All with improved aesthetics, engine fueling, amenities, a quieter transmission, factory kits to increase engine size, hp and torque and more color options.

Reactions: ozpacman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts