Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been an ongoing debate about Victory brand oil. Seems there are those in the camp that say Victory sesigned this oil for the overhead cam engine that Victory designed.

Then there is the other camp who say hog wash and use other brands and weights of oil with no problems at all.

Well I think we can now put to bed the issue about Victory brand oil was designed solely for the design of the Victory engines. Seems that Polaris is using the same 20-40 oil in the new push rod Indian engines with the only change being the labeling on the bottles being Indian instead of Victory.

This pretty much confirms that Polaris' choice to use 20w-40 is an attempt to lock in sales of their over priced group 2 semi synthetic oil. Remember group 3 oils can be labeled as full synthetic per the courts. After all there are very few oils offered in the 20w-40 spec so you more than likely have to buy Victory oil it you insist on running their 20w-40 spec.

The Indian and Victory engines could not be any more different from each other. One is a push rod engine the other an overhead cam engine. They both produce power differently within the RPM ranges.

Even Yamaha has dropped their 20W-40 oil and went with 20w-50 as their spec now.

The debate is over, use any brand you want from 10w-40 to 20w-50.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
You have to be a paying member to start a thread like this didn't you read the rules. Starting a thread just for arguments sake is strictly for paying members.

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
How about warrenty work?

I use Victory oil just because as funny as they are about repairs I don't ever want them to throw this in my face.
Would they be able to tell what brand oil is in it?
I would like to try the Rotello

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
You have to be a paying member to start a thread like this didn't you read the rules. Starting a thread just for arguments sake is strictly for paying members.

:D :D :D :D :D
hahaha.....thumb up

·
Registered
636 Posts
Seems Polaris is using the same 20-40 oil in the Indian? Can you please provide proof other than the all encompassing words "it seems".

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I use Victory oil just because as funny as they are about repairs I don't ever want them to throw this in my face.
Would they be able to tell what brand oil is in it?
I would like to try the Rotello
IMO, as long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the manufacturers recommendation (Victory in this case), how can they "throw it in your face"? I doubt there is any law in the land that states "if you ride a Victory, you MUST use THEIR OIL".

The concern would be more to proving you've changed the oil at the recommended intervals.

·
Registered
636 Posts
:)
IMO, as long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the manufacturers recommendation (Victory in this case), how can they "throw it in your face"? I doubt there is any law in the land that states "if you ride a Victory, you MUST use THEIR OIL".
I had a long conversation about using other brands in the Vic engine with customer service in Minnesota. The guy made it very clear to me that should an engine implode or suffer some catastrophic failure while under warranty, they will do an oil analysis to see if it played a part in the failure. If it is an oil other than Ma Vic's lubricating elixir, then the customer is hooped if a determination is made the oil contributed to what it was that blew the motor up. So in my mind, while it's still under warranty, I'll be happy to use the company elixir to keep the motor running. I don't have deep pockets to file suit if I disagree with their findings.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Seems Polaris is using the same 20-40 oil in the Indian? Can you please provide proof other than the all encompassing words "it seems".
Lloydz words (without the use of "it seems"):

"I get asked this ALL the time. Which oil do I recommend in a Victory? My answer is Victory 20w40 oil! I don’t care about your oil analysts, I don’t care to hear your primary sounds quieter, I don’t care to hear the other oil you use is cheaper, I don’t care to hear any other comment you have about another oil. Cause and effect, you may have caused one thing to “get better” but you just affected another to get worse. I see HUNDREDS of torn apart motors every year, I can with a great deal of accuracy tell which oil was in that motor. It’s not a super power I possess; certain oils leave characteristic stains, marking, smell and wear in different areas of the motor. I’m by all means not experienced in all oils in these bikes but there are the top 4 used that I’m experienced with.

Now I will also say, I’m not suggestion Victory oil is by far the best oil in the world for these bikes. I am saying, with the ones that are typically used Victory oil lends itself to be the superior oil for wear and parts protection that provides a manageable and stable temperatures.

One issue raised is this, if there is better oil, let’s say Royal Purple. It’s oil I’ve wanted to try for years. It would take me an unknown amount of years gathering information to sit down and recommend another brand. Conclusions can’t be made on 1 engine, that’s bit me in the ass before.

So what’s my ending statement?

If you have the ability to buy Victory oil, IMO there’s no reason to open the top on another brand."

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
I love oil threads especially when the resident part time troll starts them and now that I've said troll he'll break the rules and start another username.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I love oil threads especially when the resident part time troll starts them and now that I've said troll he'll break the rules and start another username.
(continued from above).....hahaha.....thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Lloydz words (without the use of "it seems"):

"I get asked this ALL the time. Which oil do I recommend in a Victory? My answer is Victory 20w40 oil! I don’t care about your oil analysts, I don’t care to hear your primary sounds quieter, I don’t care to hear the other oil you use is cheaper, I don’t care to hear any other comment you have about another oil. Cause and effect, you may have caused one thing to “get better” but you just affected another to get worse. I see HUNDREDS of torn apart motors every year, I can with a great deal of accuracy tell which oil was in that motor. It’s not a super power I possess; certain oils leave characteristic stains, marking, smell and wear in different areas of the motor. I’m by all means not experienced in all oils in these bikes but there are the top 4 used that I’m experienced with.

Now I will also say, I’m not suggestion Victory oil is by far the best oil in the world for these bikes. I am saying, with the ones that are typically used Victory oil lends itself to be the superior oil for wear and parts protection that provides a manageable and stable temperatures.

One issue raised is this, if there is better oil, let’s say Royal Purple. It’s oil I’ve wanted to try for years. It would take me an unknown amount of years gathering information to sit down and recommend another brand. Conclusions can’t be made on 1 engine, that’s bit me in the ass before.

So what’s my ending statement?

If you have the ability to buy Victory oil, IMO there’s no reason to open the top on another brand."
Great info XRoads- thanks thumb up
Nuff said- this debate is done.....

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There has been an ongoing debate about Victory brand oil. Seems there are those in the camp that say Victory sesigned this oil for the overhead cam engine that Victory designed.

Then there is the other camp who say hog wash and use other brands and weights of oil with no problems at all.

Well I think we can now put to bed the issue about Victory brand oil was designed solely for the design of the Victory engines. Seems that Polaris is using the same 20-40 oil in the new push rod Indian engines with the only change being the labeling on the bottles being Indian instead of Victory.

This pretty much confirms that Polaris' choice to use 20w-40 is an attempt to lock in sales of their over priced group 2 semi synthetic oil. Remember group 3 oils can be labeled as full synthetic per the courts. After all there are very few oils offered in the 20w-40 spec so you more than likely have to buy Victory oil it you insist on running their 20w-40 spec.

The Indian and Victory engines could not be any more different from each other. One is a push rod engine the other an overhead cam engine. They both produce power differently within the RPM ranges.

Even Yamaha has dropped their 20W-40 oil and went with 20w-50 as their spec now.

The debate is over, use any brand you want from 10w-40 to 20w-50.
I am absolutely amazed that engineers who have had reliable success with bearing clearances and such for 40 weight oil would again use similar clearances when designing a new engine. You would think they would go back and start from scratch wouldn't you?

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
Great info XRoads- thanks thumb up
Nuff said- this debate is done.....
So we shouldn't use Amsoil??

I predict at least 5 pages before this thread tires out and stops.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
:) I had a long conversation about using other brands in the Vic engine with customer service in Minnesota. The guy made it very clear to me that should an engine implode or suffer some catastrophic failure while under warranty, they will do an oil analysis to see if it played a part in the failure. If it is an oil other than Ma Vic's lubricating elixir, then the customer is hooped if a determination is made the oil contributed to what it was that blew the motor up. So in my mind, while it's still under warranty, I'll be happy to use the company elixir to keep the motor running. I don't have deep pockets to file suit if I disagree with their findings.
The only reason you would be "hooped" is that ma Vic probably has no direct recourse with the other brands. That said, "you" would be the one to take the other brand oil co to court to recoup your losses. That's how I sees it anyhoo and frankly, and again IMO, if a guy uses the proper oil (the one that meets or exceeds ...blah blah...) and changes it regularly, it's highly doubtful in my mind that any failure such as that would be due, in whole or in part, to the oil.

Not tryin to convince you or anyone otherwise, just stating my opinion and we all know what opinion is worth LOL

·
Registered
851 Posts
...Well I think we can now put to bed the issue about Victory brand oil was designed solely for the design of the Victory engines. Seems that Polaris is using the same 20-40 oil in the new push rod Indian engines with the only change being the labeling on the bottles being Indian instead of Victory...
It is true the Victory OIL was designed to work with the Victory ENGINE What you fail to realize is the Indian ENGINE was then designed to work with the Victory OIL. :D

LONG LIVE CAPITALISM!!!! cheers

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
made for profits

victory like hardly does not blend oils, both are made to a "price point" supplied by them. hardly said no synthetics until they had one produced for their screamin chicken brand. amsoil asked hardly to put in writing when they claimed synthetics voided warranty before they had one made for their brand, of course that never happened! with only a year warranty then use what you want!

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
oil is good

The only way a manufacturer can require you to use their parts is if they supply them for free. Victory is not changing my oil for me for free (last I checked). They can set industry accepted standards that replacement parts must meet.

Oil is slippery stuff that goes in between moving metal parts.

Larry

1 - 20 of 153 Posts