Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What bikes does this fit. My apology if this is a stupid question because it fits all Victory bikes.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Hey Batty--ya selling or showing off?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What bikes does this fit. My apology if this is a stupid question because it fits all Victory bikes.

G'day,

Vinish
This one is for all steal frame bikes. But the engine bolts will fit the CC, CR, and Vision. The only bolts that I don't think are used are the 4 8mm fender strut bolts on the Cross Country.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts

·
13,048 Posts
use paraffin wax on the threads of stainless bolts so they don't seize
up when installing them. You'll be really sorry if they do

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
I use "Vaseline" coz that's available without running to a shop .... Lasts for many years ... Tested on my 4x4 for many years and now on my Vic

EDIT: i changed 50% of the Vic bolts to stainless, cheap and looks COOOL

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
use paraffin wax on the threads of stainless bolts so they don't seize
up when installing them. You'll be really sorry if they do
I use "Vaseline" coz that's available without running to a shop .... Lasts for many years ... Tested on my 4x4 for many years and now on my Vic

EDIT: i changed 50% of the Vic bolts to stainless, cheap and looks COOOL
Now that's new. I've never heard of using paraffin wax or vaseline (petroleum jelly) on stainless steel. By my own admission we don't use a lot of stainless on aircraft so my knowledge is limited to what I've read and my limited experience of use. I have always used a high quality anti-seize like Permatex 77124 which is specifically designed for stainless steel. That's the common silver anti-seize you probably have in your toolbox now.

I do however have a good knowledge of metallurgy because of my failure analysis education. Using the wax or petroleum jelly makes sense as you need a barrier to prevent galvanic corrosion which is all the anti-seize is doing. I will say this; I'd never run a stainless steel bolt into an aluminium case. I don't care how much anti-seize you slather on it. Galvanic corrosion is caused by electrolysis. The more anodic(anode) which aluminium is and cathodic(cathode) which stainless steel is the more galvanic corrosion you have. Not worth the risk to me. Forget the barrier protection and you're screwed. I'm not saying it's verboten, I'm just saying I tend to keep motorcycles and cars a long time so I'm usually the idiot taking them apart.

·
13,048 Posts
vaseline (petroleum jelly) is a great grease for electrical and plug ins.
NOT for axles or bearings.
If you don't think it works smear some on the palm of your hand and run some tap water on it. You'll see the water run off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts