Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally decided to purchase the Tri-Pro exhaust after doing a bunch of research and looking at videos that I could find. Although the Cobra systems are not favored on these forums, I really didn't find anyone that was disappointed in the bikes performance who had purchased the system. The major complaint was the lack of sound level, but to me these pipes are a huge improvement over stock. I like the way they look, I like the way they sound, and I like the fact that even with the re-calibration shop fee of $50 my total investment was still only $400. I got them from LeadersRPM and used a 10% off promotion. Besides the system, it includes a new better performing air filter and the re-calibration card that the shop uses to reflash the ECU.

I don't like loud Harley-like bikes, and this system for me is perfect. I wanted to get away from the all-black look, so I wanted something in chrome. Although I wear earplugs that have a wind noise filter, I can now hear the bike while cruising and it sounds excellent during throttle runups from 2K rpm to 5K. I don't detect any performance loses and from the seat-of-the-pants dyno it feels better in the 2,500 to 4,500 range.

https://leadersrpmshop.com/victory-motorcycle-new-oem-chrome-cobra-stage-1-tri-pro-exhuast-2878995-156/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIra2QyO2n2QIVHrnACh0JSgQJEAYYASABEgLFNfD_BwE

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, the only thing I didn't like about this system is having to cut the stock lower chassis bracket. It's necessary in order to install a new bracket which holds the muffler and keeps it close to the bike. If you end up purchasing a future system which uses the stock bracket configuration then you will probably have to find an uncut unmodified bracket.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Exhaust looks great on your bike except for one thing, the big Cobra advertisement on the side of the pipe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One word of caution. We put that same pipe on my girlfriends 2011 KingPin and had trouble with the supply line for the rear brake. I assume that line runs next to the lower frame as it does on the KingPin. Well that line is a plastic line and the the Tri Oval pipe runs closer to the frame than the stock pipes did. The plastic line melted and luckly I noticed brake fluid on the ground before she took off. I ended up replacing it with a custom steel line I made. So you may want to shield it if you can just in case. I informed Vic about the issue in 2012 but not sure if anything was done to correct the possible problem.

By the way she liked those pipes

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the warning...however, the Kingpin uses a different Cobra/Victory version/part number, so they are not identical systems. I don't know if the headers are different shape or if perhaps the muffler attachment points are different (Hammer has the wide back tire/swing arm), or both. It looks to me that the front header is in the same position as stock, and there are three small stock brackets that keep that brake supply line tucked in against the lower chassis bracket. I'll keep an eye on it for a while to be sure.

Here is the system for the Kingpin:
https://leadersrpmshop.com/victory-motorcycle-new-oem-stage-1-tri-pro-exhaust-system-vegas-2878996-156/

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I examined the clearance between the front header pipe and the rear brake lines (supply and pressure) and I found nothing to be concerned with. The tightest clearance is where the header travels over the right foot bracket, and based on what I see I don't think any additional clearance could have been created. Here are two photos taken just behind the foot bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All it is is an ECU update with a fueling map that was developed for the bike/exhaust system. It only takes a Victory/Indian dealership about 10 to 15 minutes to upload (basically a re-flash) into the bike, so I had to pay a 30 minute labor charge. The system comes with a calibration card code that allows the dealership to access and upload the map. Can't complain about the cost. Bike is running better than before, plus I noticed that my idle is more smooth and about 50 RPM's higher. It was 850/900 and somewhat chaotic, but now its smooth at 900/950.

If I ever get a Power Commander, then I might upload an aftermarket map designed for this system, but right now I don't see a need.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So I examined the clearance between the front header pipe and the rear brake lines (supply and pressure) and I found nothing to be concerned with. The tightest clearance is where the header travels over the right foot bracket, and based on what I see I don't think any additional clearance could have been created. Here are two photos taken just behind the foot bracket.
Yes the tube melted at that point, near where the tightest clearance is. I would say the header pipe would follow the same path as on the pin. It also sounds like the supply line is identicle to whats on the pin. Both follow and are tucked into the frame rail and held in place by those clips. I compared her KingPin to my KingPin and the header does tuck in slightly closer. I also thought there should be enough clearance. I am pretty sure your brake supply is plastic but your pressure is steel of course. I would probably add some heat shielding to protect that plastic line.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, that line is plastic and is what you see in those photos I provided. Yesterday afternoon, with temps in the low 70"s I went for a 20 mile ride. When I got home a pulled into the garage, left the bike running until I removed my jacket, helmet, and gloves. I shut the bike off and then placed my finger (carefully) against that plastic line as close to that area as possible. The only heat I felt was from the engine case rather than from the header. Nonetheless I would be interested in seeing some photos and write-up as to the mod you did on the supply line.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wanted to post the pictures of the line i made but I think I just dumped them several weeks ago. I will have another look. If I recall the plastic line converts to a rubber hose at the master cylinder and resivoir. I used a steel line inplace of the plastic and braised (using silf cos 15) duo-barb fittings on each end and crimped the rubber hose back in place.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was able to find them and recover. You should be able to blow the photo up where the hole is on the plastic tube. This did not develop right away. I agree it seems like there should be enough clearance but here is what happened to ours. Maybe we were sitting at a long light or stuck in traffic and the radiant heat did this. I dont know for sure. I did the fix for piece of mind rather than another stock part.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I was getting ready to remove my stock exhaust and install the Cobra, I had a question about the supplied support bracket, so I called Cobra and got to speak with the Tri-Pro designer. I'll call him next week to see if he has any info on this possible issue. I wonder how easy I might make a small curved heat shield and attach it using the front bracket screw.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ya I would say some heat material shield would work. Here is another picture close up. I dont know if anyone else has had the problem but I woukd hate to find out the hard way. Just saying.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
As you can see from her picture we were also running bags. Well the exhaust was melting the bottom of the bag so I designed an aluminum heat shield and attached it to the bottom of the bag with an air gap which worked great. Maybe a piece of thin sheet aluminum to absorb the heat in that area and dissipate it better.

·
13,263 Posts
Spacecoast

It would be nothing to buy 2 ft of rubber hose cut it the long way and slide it over your brake line. Then clamp each end . That would keep all heat off brake line

·
Registered
103 Posts
Spacecoast

It would be nothing to buy 2 ft of rubber hose cut it the long way and slide it over your brake line. Then clamp each end . That would keep all heat off brake line

Other than the fact that the both hoses are side by side in an already tight space and you would not be able to reclamp them using the stock clips with the addition of the rubber tube and it is a little bit of a challenge to remove those lines. Thats a long sentence :smile I think the shield would be the easy fix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts