Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a contractor assisting the Military in Baghdad, Iraq. I have been doing internet research on the top touring bikes and will be purchasing a new one when I return to the world in January.

The top three contenders are the HD Ultra Classic, BMW K1200LT, and the Victory Cross Country. These bikes best fit my riding style for long distance touring and have the style I like in a machine.

For all of you owners of the Victory Cross Country, what are your honest opinions about the bike? My wife will be riding with me and I wonder about the passenger comfort on this bike. Of course, there are no Victory dealerships in Baghdad, so I can't see one up close and personal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RobDog
Texas Rider in Baghdad

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Robb first and foremost thank you for your service to our country.

My best advice is to test ride the three bikes you are considering. A bike that may feel perfect for me at my weight, height, riding style may be terrible for you.

Victory encourages test rides. They know that it is the best selling point.

I have heard good and bad about the XC. No one hates it but as with any bike they have things they nit pick about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is my exact plan with I hit the States. I have heard good things about the Cross Country. Can't wait to ride one. Take care.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RobDog,
I picked up my XC on 11/7. Living in MA my ride time was limited due to the weather. I managed (with some cooperation from Mother Nature) to put about 400 miles on it before the snow fell. I'm coming from a VTX 1800. The XC handles like a dream. Very low COG. I'm 5' 10" w/ 32" inseam. I find the seating position to be extremely comfortable. Plenty of room to move feet around. Ride quality is much nicer than the X. Cornering is very easy, and begs to be ridden hard into the twisties. Power is plenty. Not quite the same as the X, but has more in the top end for touring (which is what Vic designed it for). The biggest complaint from most is the windshield and buffeting. I didn't find it to be too bad. Yes there is some buffeting, but I still think that lowers adjusted properly will take care of that.
Having ridden 400 miles, I am glad I bought the XC and can't wait for spring so I can ride some more.
Phil

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just about the ONLY complaint I've heard, is the buffeting. But usually a taller or shorter windshield, and maybe lowers help with that issue. (both available for the Cross bikes)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just rode my Black CC 200 miles in 55 deg. weather with my better half on the back and it was awesome! The bike was smooth (lacking a little in the low end though) and comfortable to ride. The only problems I have with it are the buffetting which is coming up from below the fairing and can be reduced somewhat by keeping your legs against the tank and the amount of reach required to make tight turns at slow speeds because of the handlebar design. Other than these two thiings this bike is wonderful!

R

P.S. I forgot to mention the lack of any security features for the bike. I suggest purchasing a disc lock if you aregoing to leave the bike alone for any length of time.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Congrats on your bike.

Others that have XC's have discovered the buffeting is NOT from under the fairing but from the low windscreen.

The bars are adjustable so you might be able to adjust the reach a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rode with the taller fairing when I test rode the bike and got the same buffeting. I noticed that when I pushed my legs out at 65+ mph the buffeting increased dramatically. I tried different head positions and got the same reaction. As far as the handle bars they only adjust up or down and do not take into account the arc they create because they are longer from the steerer tube than normal bars.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Very conflicting info from the others I've heard mention this. That sucks. I wonder if the buffeting is from design they added to the fairing for pushing water away from the riders hands?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think it might have to do with the design of the crash bar. Some said that Victory already has deflectors available? Everything I've tried to order so far is on back order.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I like the crash bars but worried about them causing lift and putting the XC in flight. LOL

Hmmmmmm...removing them would tell for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
victory cc

just picked mine up friday., great bike, it does have buffeting, my opinion is its from low windshield. putting hand above windshield stops most of it. I will probably buy higher shield or a laminar lip if available I put one on my fjr and it worked great

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just about the ONLY complaint I've heard, is the buffeting. But usually a taller or shorter windshield, and maybe lowers help with that issue. (both available for the Cross bikes)
Sorry Batman. The tall windshield is in fact available; however, the two support brackets needed to attach the windshield is not.
Well, they are, but only the left brackets. They forgot to make one for the right side. Unfortunately, you need a left and right bracket to support the windshield. However, not to worry. The Victory people say it will only be a few more months before they can produce the right bracket. Hello, quality control. Seems they're working hard to get out next year's snowmobiles and ATVs.
I totally suggest separating Polaris and Victory motorcycles. Maybe then the quality control will improve.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Seems that buffeting effects a lot of bikes these days. Not sure why a wind tunnel tested and designed bike three years in the making would have a buffeting problem though. Oh well, so did my Moto Guzzi with the stock shield.

I've also read the low speed EFI is kind of disapointing as is the seat comfort. What do you Cross Country/Cross Roads owners think about the EFI and the stock seat?

Thank You,

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wind Buffeting

I hear this is a problem from some of you. Please tell me, what did you ride consistently just before you bought your Cross Country. I think I have the solution but, need to be sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts