Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all... as I mighta mentioned in my few existing posts, I've been an active Triumph twin rider for about 4-5 years now and am now looking to add a large displacement cruiser to my stable. The Gunner is my #1 choice due to style, price and specs, and actually it's my only choice right now. If it doesn't pan out, I don't have a second in mind.

Intro done, I was wondering what the culture of Victory riders is like? I have to admit, I'm not interested in a Harley because of their culture, because the MoCo seems like a marketing machine that makes their annual revenue off of t-shirt, temporary tattoos and branded dog toys... and oh yeah btw, they sell cycles too. That, and every local poker run I see resembles a casting call for extras trying to be on Sons of Anarchy.

What about Victory? Does V. sponsor dealership-organized riding groups like HOG or RAT? (Riders Association of Triumph... yes there is such a thing) Are there large rallies each year?

Or is it more like a loose-knit community of riders that communicates on sites like this one?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Well you're new so pardon my response but......

Oh God not this again just buy the bike because you like it you don't like H/D because of a t-shirt then by all means buy the Victory.

We're all riders and being pretentious enough to talk down another in favor of your choice is a shame.

I don't see nearly as many anti-Vic threads on the H/D forums as I do anti-H/D on the Vic forums almost seems like.......dare I say.......jealousy.

Just buy and let it sit gathering dust then you'll be like the majority of all riders.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oh God not this again just buy the bike because you like it you don't like H/D because of a t-shirt then by all means buy the Victory.

We're all riders and being pretentious enough to talk down another in favor of your choice is a shame.

I don't see nearly as many anti-Vic threads on the H/D forums as I do anti-H/D on the Vic forums almost seems like.......dare I say.......jealousy.

Just buy and let it sit gathering dust then you'll be like the majority of all riders.

Wow, snippy! Sorry, didn't mean to reach into your jeans and twist your panties.

Not sure where the gathering dust comment came from, as I'm a year round rider (yes here in NJ, that's why they make winter gear).

And in your tirade, you managed to answer none of my questions about victory culture, rider organizations, rallies, etc. but thanks for your quick and scathing opinion! thumb up

·
Registered
784 Posts
Pardon Vindex, he is a good guy and has something to contribute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,However he is right about the ad nauseum discussed question.

to answer the question, you get what you want from them. if you want all the hoopla, HD is your ride. Victory riders are more like, well nothing.
There are forums, groups and such that are around but none I'm aware of that are factory sponsored. If you want Vic garb, it is out there but not always in the stores like the boutiques that sell the HD.

Not sure about the question but hope this gives some insight.

Welcome to the forum. Get something you like and ride it. There are enough folks to cover the spectrum from gear heads, to weekend warriors, to casual, to anti-(insert brand), to folks who think odometer clicks are what it is about.

Cheers

·
Registered
477 Posts
Buy what you like, man, it's supposed to be about enjoying yourself. I don't have Problem with anyone and really like H-D as well, triumph also makes a cool machine. In any event, I really don't think you'll regret a Victory. Initially my only gripe with Vic was the aftermarket support but that seems to be getting better and better. Buy and enjoy, dog.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pardon Vindex, he is a good guy and has something to contribute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,However he is right about the ad nauseum discussed question.

to answer the question, you get what you want from them. if you want all the hoopla, HD is your ride. Victory riders are more like, well nothing.
There are forums, groups and such that are around but none I'm aware of that are factory sponsored. If you want Vic garb, it is out there but not always in the stores like the boutiques that sell the HD.

Not sure about the question but hope this gives some insight.

Welcome to the forum. Get something you like and ride it. There are enough folks to cover the spectrum from gear heads, to weekend warriors, to casual, to anti-(insert brand), to folks who think odometer clicks are what it is about.

Cheers
Points all well-taken, thank you. :)

And while I need no endorsement from other people, I do enjoy group rides with like-minded riders. Not pub crawls or poker runs, but trips to interesting cycle events, AMA and AHMRA races, etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I do apologize it's a subject that comes up multiple times a week and for the life of me I don't know why.

I belong to a Victory riders group that's national do some searches it'll pop up I can't even P.M. it to you because the forum blocks it.

Sorry but they do have T-Shirts so read past that. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do apologize it's a subject that comes up multiple times a week and for the life of me I don't know why.

I belong to a Victory riders group that's national do some searches it'll pop up I can't even P.M. it to you because the forum blocks it.

Sorry but they do have T-Shirts so read past that. :D
And it does appear that I might've mixed 2 topics that could've been better served apart (ie "Hey what's the Victory rider culture like" and "hey how bout them Harley pirates?") lol

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Points all well-taken, thank you. :)

And while I need no endorsement from other people, I do enjoy group rides with like-minded riders. Not pub crawls or poker runs, but trips to interesting cycle events, AMA and AHMRA races, etc.
It would help if you'd update your signature with your location so that others know where you are and can reatch out to you for riding opportunities if they are close to you. The guy that I ride with most often is Half_Crazy and I met him right here on this forum by seeing his location and contacting him.

There is a vicotry riders group close to me, but I never got involved with them. My understanding is that they do several group rides each year. Just not my thing to be part of a club like that.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
What about Victory? Does V. sponsor dealership-organized riding groups like HOG or RAT? (Riders Association of Triumph... yes there is such a thing) Are there large rallies each year?
I think Harley culture has bled into cruiser culture. No matter what brand of cruiser I see these days, it's almost certain that its owner is a middle aged guy adorned in a beanie and a patch covered leather vest. A chain belt/colorful bandana are typical accessories to add flair to the ensemble.

I didn't dress like that on sportbikes, I don't dress like that now, and I won't dress like that if I buy a Harley. So far, no one has insisted that I must.

Typical events consist of getting in large groups going someplace to ingest calories in a long traffic annoying line. Not really my kettle of fish either, but I do do this occasionally. Provides a good opportunity to bike sniff.

There are a couple of folks on these Vic boards that like to talk racing, but they are few and far between. Doubt if you'll be seeing any sponsored rides to the types of events that you mentioned.

Around here, Harley dealers are apt to have bands, serve beer, roast pigs and host other interesting activities. Vic dealers do some of that too, usually if a demo truck is present. Most people are there to test ride though and try as they might, those dealer events don't typically end up as much of a festive event.

I'd say the Harley thing is a lot more socially oriented. If you're in it for a cultural experience, that'd probably be the way to go. Vics are great bikes, but you probably aren't going to find the kinda HOG club opportunities you will with the MoCo. If you do find one, it will undoubtedly be a very similar experience. But don't expect the dealers to be as event oriented.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Harley culture has bled into cruiser culture.

I'd say the Harley thing is a lot more socially oriented. If you're in it for a cultural experience, that'd probably be the way to go. Vics are great bikes, but you probably aren't going to find the kinda HOG club opportunities you will with the MoCo. If you do find one, it will undoubtedly be a very similar experience. But don't expect the dealers to be as event oriented.
I certainly am not looking for the HOG experience, lol. Pig roasts with beer bongs... Not my style. :rolleyes: And not to sound preachy, but my current RAT group is led by an MSF instructor and if anyone decided they'd enjoy a beer or ten during one of our group riding events, it would not be well-received, to say the least. It's a real ATGATT, safety-oriented experience.

PS - Signature added, if I did it right. Thanks for the tip. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Let me attempt a response:
Victory culture? I think you just got a taste of it... The average Victory owner is a motorcyclist who appreciates motorcycles in general (all of them). There really is no attitude, although some like to bash on Harley as if they were somehow justifying their choice to own the alternative.
Victory clubs? Sure. Most of us don't choose our riding buddies and friends by the brand of bike they ride, and there's no guarantee that just because a guy rides a Victory that he and I are 'like-minded' in any way.
Victory rallies? Sure. AVR, Southeast Rally in Helen, Ga., etc... There are several events each year.
Dealer sponsored events? Sure. This will vary by area... but most dealers do open houses at least.

Victory is not going to sell you a lifestyle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it's culture your looking for why not get involved with a local group like CMA or any number of others. I own the brand you seem to dislike but I ride with all brands of bikes. The banter between riders gets kind of fun.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just buy the bike you want. Culture has nothing to do with it. You'll still ride with your friends, go to the events you want to. You will continue to dress as you please. I ride with a couple different groups, no one cares what you ride. If you saw how I dress, you would have no clue the make of bike I own. Don't worry so much. Buy what you want and ride the damn thing.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Please dont pretend there isnt anti Victory comments on hundreds of threads (that dont even have anything to do with Victory) over in the HD forums... There are lots of straight out Victory haters over there, they are much more hateful about it also...most here will crack a joke about it, but if you mention Vic over there, they come out of the woodwork screamin like you just ran over their dog....
They have already beat it to death over there..
and to the OP...dont worry about any of the crap...test ride em all, have some fun and buy what you like...
F the rest...btw, i ride a triumph twin also

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
There are those hater types and then there are some that look down on those that ride a Victory. I find it very amusing that grown men and women behave the way they do.

I recently had another experience while rolling up to my local shell station two miles from my home. There were two solo HD riders and one two-up HD rider that was waiting on their buddy to top off. I shut down my XCT and looked at them and said Hey, how's the ride today?

The "tall one" with his full face helmet resting snuggly on his dome, looked at me, and then instantly looked away with some kind of "how dare you address me, peasant". I kicked my leg over and said so they could all hear me, "O.K. then."

They began talking about where they were going to next and rode off.

cheers

·
Registered
837 Posts
I love the Victory culture!!!!!!! Here it is.

I live in a very rural area. I am the ONLY person in ANY GROUP I RIDE WITH ON A VIC and I like it that way. 95% of my riding is done alone and I do around 10,000 a year avg. My closest Vic buddy lives about 70 miles away--I bought bars from him and he bought a backrest from me. Nobody has anything close to my bike, which is one of the things that drew me to the brand. I avoid the dealerships as much as possible (sore subject with me) and don't care what they have going on. I love the quality of my Vic coffee mug, pirate hat, and jacket, complete with Witchdoctor patch. I visit the dealerships in Myrles Inlet, SC and New Smyna Beach Fl during bike weeks when I go and hang out for a while and shoot the bull.

Not very exciting, huh?? cheers

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please dont pretend there isnt anti Victory comments on hundreds of threads (that dont even have anything to do with Victory) over in the HD forums... There are lots of straight out Victory haters over there, they are much more hateful about it also...most here will crack a joke about it, but if you mention Vic over there, they come out of the woodwork screamin like you just ran over their dog....
They have already beat it to death over there..
and to the OP...dont worry about any of the crap...test ride em all, have some fun and buy what you like...
F the rest...btw, i ride a triumph twin also
Oh, I'm actually a long-time (although inactive) member on the HD forums, as the first bike I ever learned how to ride on was an older used Sporty, and even that wasn't enuff to satisfy the tuffest of the tuff guys on those forums, because I didn't learn how to ride on a 900-lb big twin as a rank newbie fresh out of MSF class.

And I quickly learned there that it's not just victory that they hate. Other brands that will quickly get you cussed out if brought up conversationally because "Raaa! That's not a Harley!"... Triumph, Kawasaki, Suzuki, ktm, ural, Honda, enfield, guzzi, Ducati, aprilia, BSA, Matchless, Vespa, schwinn, huffy, you get the point. :crzy:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love the Victory culture!!!!!!! Here it is.

I live in a very rural area. I am the ONLY person in ANY GROUP I RIDE WITH ON A VIC and I like it that way. 95% of my riding is done alone and I do around 10,000 a year avg. My closest Vic buddy lives about 70 miles away--I bought bars from him and he bought a backrest from me. Nobody has anything close to my bike, which is one of the things that drew me to the brand. I avoid the dealerships as much as possible (sore subject with me) and don't care what they have going on. I love the quality of my Vic coffee mug, pirate hat, and jacket, complete with Witchdoctor patch. I visit the dealerships in Myrles Inlet, SC and New Smyna Beach Fl during bike weeks when I go and hang out for a while and shoot the bull.

Not very exciting, huh?? cheers
"Exciting" doesn't matter, I appreciate reading how Victory riders enjoy their bike ownership and interact with other types of riders. I guess really, that type of reply that you've given me answers my initial question. thumb up

1 - 20 of 256 Posts