Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a 1800 mile 6 day ride with a group of friends. Most of the group were riding Harley's so we stopeed at some Harley dealerships and the guys bought shirts and had coffee or soda.
So I pestered the guys and we went to a Victory dealership. The dealer was a very small shop, it shared the building with an import auto dealership and the salesman (a young kid that did not look like he ever rode a motorcycle) did not know much about the Victory's. We asked if they had something to drink and he pointed to the drinking fountain. I then asked if he had any dealer T-Shirts for sale he said no just the generic Victory stuff.
I think one of the biggest things that I miss about being a Harley owner are the dealerships. I sure hope the dealerships get better the longer and more established the Victory brand is around.
We covered 3 states and we never saw another Victory.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The difference between a motorcycle company with over 100 years vs. one with just over 10. The big thing you mentioned was the salesman not knowing anything about what he is selling. It is a problem that is all too common, even in the metric arena (never stopped in and asked about too many Harleys). I guess that why it's a good thing that the Victory is such a bullet proof bike (except for getting nails in your tires :rolleyes: ).

As far as not seeing another Victory on the road, you could always trade it in on a Harley so you could be unique...just like everybody else :ltr:

·
Registered
112 Posts
It does seem like alot of their dealers are smaller or shared with other things. If you are going to work at a bike dealer you should know your product these bike's pretty much sell themselves. Just spend 25 mins and watch the Vic vs Harley video's on youtube. I know it was something I encountered before I bought my Victory.

I know one the reasons I didn't buy a harley is because I didn't want to see three of my same bike parked at the local hangout or a Chihuahua wearing a shirt with my motorcycle brand on it.cheers

·
Registered
545 Posts
One of the aspects that I hated about owning and riding a Harley, was that most of the ride plans were to travel from dealer to dealer and buy a shirt. I much prefer to take the byways and end up where I end up... without making a store closing deadline and miss the trip because of it. I prefer the scenic pull-outs, or the museums, or the local points of interest over the generic same ol' HD store.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Goat nailed it - HD has been playing the game for almost 10 times as long as Victory so it's pretty obvious that there are going to be more dealers, more bikes, and more knowledge from the dealers.

HD also has the edge because their models really haven't changed much over the years other than being tweeked into "new" models. The number of years in buisness and the number of models throughout those years has pretty much turned the list of HD models into alphabet soup. Could you imagine trying to list all the models out loud? You could spent hours saying F this and F that...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I kind of agree with the O.P. .... I miss some of the comrade that comes with being on a Harley, heck a week ago I was ready to sell my bike, and go back. Then, I stepped back and thought through it, and fixed my problems, and rode 600 miles in 32 hours, and remembered why I bought this machine. But yeah, the whole "being a part of something bigger than yourself", was pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Around here, that's common for ALL metric dealers. No single make gets much play, the dealers support three or four manufacturers. The Idaho Falls dealership that sells Victories has the best support for 'em in the state, even has some nice branded stuff, but even they don't hold a candle to a Harley dealership. Places are like toy stores for your bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just returned from a 1800 mile 6 day ride with a group of friends. Most of the group were riding Harley's so we stopeed at some Harley dealerships and the guys bought shirts and had coffee or soda
Although it's GREAT that you get to take advantage of that coffee and soda shop - let's remember why it's there......
.....it's to help the Harley owners pass the time while they wait for their bike in the shop (same as a car dealer)

I hang out with Harley guys and enjoy the coffee and soda when they want to stop at their dealerships.... They all enjoy the coffee, water, soda - etc when we stop at my dealerships of choice.

The "Fellowship of Riding" is NOT bike specific - it's fellowship specific.

I've never been turned away from a beverage, snack - etc from any dealership regardless of what I was riding.

cheers

·
Registered
790 Posts
Harley works at making it a "lifestyle" you join. They as the manufacturer put all the resources into making it a comfortable atmosphere and and place you can also go to hang out.

Victory riders make it their own lifestyle and while it would be nice to have Dealers where you could hang out and get free drinks and shoot pool, completely different marketing and dealer ownership rules.

Personally I drop in at my dealer to shoot the bull and bring THEM drinks, whether beer or sodas, no difference to me.

·
13,177 Posts
What we should when we go to Vic's open house in August is wear a white Tshirt. Draw something on it what ever you like then across the back write ( Victory doesn't design one so I did)
They have stuff for there other lines but not ours such a shame

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yep, I really hate the fact that there isn't a Vic dealership every 150 miles where I can stop and buy a $40 T-shirt or a $400 jacket. Those $100 "Made in Taiwan" chrome accessories are nice too.

Guess I'm pretty lucky here, our dealer sells Vics & Polaris ATV's which are front and center in the showroom. They also carry Triumph's and a few scooters. The sales and service staff know these bikes inside out, and remember you by name when stopping by for a visit. thumb up

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Guess I'm lucky in the fact that my vic dealership has plenty of personality. If you ever get down around Dallas, check out Stroker's. They'll be happy to sell you a few t-shirts. Was there today and picked up a couple of victory t-shirts - under 20 bucks. Total cost of ownership on a vic rocks! thumb up

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dealerships and general attitude

Man have i had this conversation ever since I got interested in Victory around 2005. Everyone says its because HD has experience and the faithful market. But remember, HD early on was devoted to spread the word about their product. They listened to those interested in their new motor bike. I think Polaris is still stuck in the mode of 4-wheeler bliss.
The ride we went on to Bikes Blues & BarBQ in Fayetville resulted in the following: Pig Trail Harley shop had a big barbq on sunday after the rally. SUNDAY! They had vendors, and a good 2000 bikes showing. The Victory shop next door not only didn't open but didn't have any tshirts any other day during the rally. Really?!! In the group I rode with I was the only Vic rider. They gladly wanted to go with me to the Vic shop only for me to get embarrassed by their lack of pride. I've tried for a solid year to get a Victory group in Tulsa together, asking Vic dealers here. No go. Now I'm using other avenues to get it done. On another note, I went to a Victory shop in Houston. Yeah. Same story. What's up folks!
Again I dont attribute it to years of experience. When Nike came on the scene they didnt tell converse, well, you've been around longer. No, they took it by the horns now look at them. WTH!?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am talking about the "Harley Experience" where the name on the tank transcends riding a motorcycle. I ride what I want, when I want, with who I want and I don't need a dealership to help me with that.

Honestly if that's what you want then what's stopping you? Take the initiative and ask your local dealer if you can setup a barbecue on their premises. Spread the word and make it happen cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
experience

Gotcha. My apologies if I took that wrong. The experience any more seems to be "thank you for buying product x.....see you when you come in to buy parts". I want an experience that's "lets get together all of the locals who have purchased this product and have a little throw-down". If you don't go to Iowa, you're not going to get that around here. I want to change that. Cheers back at ya cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts