Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after waiting months for the opportunity to ride a Victory I finally got the chance as there was a manufacturers demo ride two weeks ago in Sudbury Ontario. I live in Sault Ste. Marie, so I had roughly a 200 mile ride. Unfortunately the dealer sold the Hammer 8 Ball they had in stock the week before, so I couldn't see one up close and the manufacturers demo ride didn't have a Hammer 8 Ball to test, so I took out the Gunner as I was advised it best represented the posture and seating position of the Hammer. As you obviously realize there is not a dealer for Victory in my home town.

Well first I must say the motor is everything plus more than I ever expected. "Absolutely incredible". However I was disappointed with the following;

1) lash or slop, when at speed when letting fully off the throttle and then accelerating.
2) very loud when shifting, all gears
3) disappointed that the extending of the side stand does not automatically shut down the engine (safety).
4) the quality of the foot pegs, shifter and foot break were very disappointing.

I only can wonder if I had the chance to ride the Hammer, regardless of my complaints if I would have left with one, but not having this opportunity and no close dealer I doubt that I'll ever know.

I ride a Honda VTX-C 1300 and although similar in looks I absolutely admit the Hammer is better looking and is one Bad Ass bike, but I feel the aforementioned complaints are better on the Honda. If only the manufacturer would have a factory billet foot brake peg and better quality foot rests, who knows.

I guess there still a chance..........

Cobra:confused:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Vic engines love to rev , if you were short shifting it or not running it up over 2500 RPM 's then the results are clanky shifting and a lot of backlash ... The more it revs , the smoother it runs / shifts . I think the quality of the controls is really good , keep in mind most people always swap out the pegs ... But , as simple as the stockers are , they are bullet proof . Good luck in your search for a Hammer , they are great bikes , so is the Gunner too .cheers

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Cobra, i got a Jackpot 2013 so that is pretty close to a Hammer

1) lash or slob, ??? Do you mean slow of reactions ? Or pick-up speed again ? Then change gear..

2) it is american made, everything is loud, ha ha, no mate Lilmags is right, 3000 rpm and you hear nothing, nevertheless it is not a Jap bike, smooth as silk ...
3) sidestand down IN gear = bike shuts off on overseas VIC's, if not ? Maybe USA has different regulations ...
4) i like my foot pegs / controls

Mate this is the first Vtwin i ever owned, always Jap / euro bikes,

You cant compare them ... Totaly different .... So stop comparing

Engine is good & sollid / looks are awesome

The rest I am gradually fixing and replacing .... With help of these forum junkies as myself

:D

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Buy the Honda:)

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Yup MbX just as nuts as myself about riding haaaaaaaa

·
Registered
889 Posts
Cobra, it's just my 2 cents but if you watch the forums for awhile you'll begin to see there are two camps regarding the inherent characteristics of Victory motorcycles. Both base their opinions on what their experiences have been with their previous rides.

The first group are those who previously rode the HD products. To them, the Vic is a step up in many ways and they extol the virtues of a more reliable, advanced, cheaper, attractive and power-wise an easily upgraded product. Of course they are smiling. Well, maybe not all the time.

The second group is those who previously rode foreign products, primarily Japanese. The Japanese are not innovative and rarely develop new technology. What they do well, and have done for the last 100 years or so, is take a product or idea and develop it further for their own, then foreign markets. Make it a bit better, smaller or cheaper than the original developer did who just wanted to get a product out to market in a minimal amount of time. Apply that practice to vehicles and you end up with some very nice results. They have in fact driven the advancements and changes in many aspects since the 60's. They left other established manufacturing standards in the dust and all have their proven results and icons every one of us would recognize. Those riders whose experiences have been from that motorcycle background may find the Vic in many ways is a step backwards. Fit and finish, wiring connectors and routing, engine clatter, transmission synchronization and reliability may not what they are used to. There are a couple of very important aspects that are attractive to the Japanese rider though. Ergonomics and torque. If you come from one of their mid-size cruisers you may find the Vic's fit better and certainly has a ****-load more torque. The happy stuff that helps you overlook most of the negatives.

Is the Vic a good product? Yes it is. Can it be made better? Of course it could; but not at the same price point. (Well, not in North America anyway.)

We each ride what we do. Even within the Vic product there are different models and likes and dislikes. If you like what you see you can also make it your own as is usual with bikes. For me and many others the mods and upgrades are part of the addiction. If all that is holding you back is something simple like changing the foot pegs then maybe the cookie-cutter Honda is the bike for you. FYI, I actually looked and test drove the KP for 9 years before I bought it. I really liked the bike I had and never had a reason to kick out the extra cash until a dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Again, maybe right now it's best just to stick to the Honda. If you regret the change it'll take you a long time to get over it on a bike you are always comparing and finding lacking in one way or another.

Good luck with your choices and if it's a Vic, maybe we'll see you back here.

·
Registered
784 Posts
1) lash or slop, when at speed when letting fully off the throttle and then accelerating.
It is drive lash and it is in every single bike on the road. Victory's are amplified if lugging around and under 2500 while in motion is lugging. Sounds crazy, but happens. Stop snapping the throttle. You probably noticed it and tried to do it, thinking or not.
Well, you have to learn to shift. This gets a lot of banter, but is said to get attention. Every MC I have owned has had a learning curve to sweet shifting. Nothing really new to see here. Time and effort cures it, or just pound through them. Plenty do and seem fine with it.
3) disappointed that the extending of the side stand does not automatically shut down the engine (safety).
I'm with you on this one. A lot of getting used to after Honda's and Yamaha's in the past
4) the quality of the foot pegs, shifter and foot break were very disappointing.
Not sure on this one. Pegs are pegs and Honda uses some scanky aluminum alloy on their Goldwings. Fugly but works and solid. Shifter, not sure but think they are the same. I have heard complaints on them, I guess I got a good one. Don't like it, don't take delivery till you do. It is fine and works well.

Happy shopping and don't expect a Honda when you buy, you aren't getting it. For better and worse, Vic marches to their own drummer. Either accept it or move on seems to be their attitude. They do build a pretty good bike and in the touring class, one of the best riders out there.

FWIW

·
Registered
566 Posts
However I was disappointed with the following;

There is a 1/4 turn throttle mod sold to resolve this issue. Cheap and easy.

That's just part of Victory character/charm, I was initially put off by it too,but then really grew to appreciate it overtime. It's kind of awesome to hear the big pop when you shift gears while you running it like you stole it. The sound tells you you didn't miss the gear and kind of enchances the experience for me. ;)

Whatever, no comment here. It might be important if you are new to riding motorcycles, but I've never missed this feature.

I have never tested a gunner, but I have to say, that bike does seem to be built to a pricepoint, which might mean that they used less expensive stuff in some places. Here's the thing, the gunner is $13k BRAND SPANKING NEW. How much does a comperable HD cost?! Probably +$18k... and you could change those parts out for better quality stuff if it really bugs you.

I only can wonder if I had the chance to ride the Hammer, regardless of my complaints if I would have left with one, but not having this opportunity and no close dealer I doubt that I'll ever know.

I guess there still a chance..........

Cobra:confused:
In the end, don't buy the bike if you don't feel that you're making the best decision for you. If there's enough that turns you off, then it's not the bike for you. Go test ride other brands and find the one that checks all the boxes.

I personally have been looking around to see if I should replace my Hammer, however, I can't find anything that compares for how I like to ride. And that only makes me appreciate it more. :D

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Marius,
If i wanted to replace my Jackpot it would be with a Yamaha Vmax 1800 CC nickname "widow maker"

It is an amazing machine, but does not look like my Vic .....

·
Registered
566 Posts
Marius,
If i wanted to replace my Jackpot it would be with a Yamaha Vmax 1800 CC nickname "widow maker"

It is an amazing machine, but does not look like my Vic .....
Funny you mention that bike. It's been on my bucket list to test ride, thought its price is completely out of sight in terms of what I'd be willing to spend on a non touring rig. Also, I have sat on one a few times, and I don't see it being more comfortable for my riding style than my hammer. The Hammer is hard to replace because it does chill cruising as well as it does "ballz to the wall" stupid riding. My riding is about 50/50 :D

But I don't know what I don't know since I have not actually riden the VMAX.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2016 Hammer S

Cobra, it's just my 2 cents but if you watch the forums for awhile you'll begin to see there are two camps regarding the inherent characteristics of Victory motorcycles. Both base their opinions on what their experiences have been with their previous rides.

The first group are those who previously rode the HD products. To them, the Vic is a step up in many ways and they extol the virtues of a more reliable, advanced, cheaper, attractive and power-wise an easily upgraded product. Of course they are smiling. Well, maybe not all the time.

The second group is those who previously rode foreign products, primarily Japanese. The Japanese are not innovative and rarely develop new technology. What they do well, and have done for the last 100 years or so, is take a product or idea and develop it further for their own, then foreign markets. Make it a bit better, smaller or cheaper than the original developer did who just wanted to get a product out to market in a minimal amount of time. Apply that practice to vehicles and you end up with some very nice results. They have in fact driven the advancements and changes in many aspects since the 60's. They left other established manufacturing standards in the dust and all have their proven results and icons every one of us would recognize. Those riders whose experiences have been from that motorcycle background may find the Vic in many ways is a step backwards. Fit and finish, wiring connectors and routing, engine clatter, transmission synchronization and reliability may not what they are used to. There are a couple of very important aspects that are attractive to the Japanese rider though. Ergonomics and torque. If you come from one of their mid-size cruisers you may find the Vic's fit better and certainly has a ****-load more torque. The happy stuff that helps you overlook most of the negatives.

Is the Vic a good product? Yes it is. Can it be made better? Of course it could; but not at the same price point. (Well, not in North America anyway.)

We each ride what we do. Even within the Vic product there are different models and likes and dislikes. If you like what you see you can also make it your own as is usual with bikes. For me and many others the mods and upgrades are part of the addiction. If all that is holding you back is something simple like changing the foot pegs then maybe the cookie-cutter Honda is the bike for you. FYI, I actually looked and test drove the KP for 9 years before I bought it. I really liked the bike I had and never had a reason to kick out the extra cash until a dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse. Again, maybe right now it's best just to stick to the Honda. If you regret the change it'll take you a long time to get over it on a bike you are always comparing and finding lacking in one way or another.

Good luck with your choices and if it's a Vic, maybe we'll see you back here.
It is drive lash and it is in every single bike on the road. Victory's are amplified if lugging around and under 2500 while in motion is lugging. Sounds crazy, but happens. Stop snapping the throttle. You probably noticed it and tried to do it, thinking or not.
Well, you have to learn to shift. This gets a lot of banter, but is said to get attention. Every MC I have owned has had a learning curve to sweet shifting. Nothing really new to see here. Time and effort cures it, or just pound through them. Plenty do and seem fine with it.
I'm with you on this one. A lot of getting used to after Honda's and Yamaha's in the past
Not sure on this one. Pegs are pegs and Honda uses some scanky aluminum alloy on their Goldwings. Fugly but works and solid. Shifter, not sure but think they are the same. I have heard complaints on them, I guess I got a good one. Don't like it, don't take delivery till you do. It is fine and works well.

Happy shopping and don't expect a Honda when you buy, you aren't getting it. For better and worse, Vic marches to their own drummer. Either accept it or move on seems to be their attitude. They do build a pretty good bike and in the touring class, one of the best riders out there.

FWIW
In the end, don't buy the bike if you don't feel that you're making the best decision for you. If there's enough that turns you off, then it's not the bike for you. Go test ride other brands and find the one that checks all the boxes.

I personally have been looking around to see if I should replace my Hammer, however, I can't find anything that compares for how I like to ride. And that only makes me appreciate it more. :D
Thanks to all for your answers of which they were all very helpful, especially about the one relative to throttle lash. I think I was purposefully looking for faults in order to convince myself not to buy a new bike as I really do like my Honda VTX-1300C.

Well I'm happy to say that three weeks ago I purchased a brand new 2016 Hammer S and it should be delivered mid January. I also ordered Bevelled grips, pegs, cam tensioner covers, a bandit seat, Tri Pro 2-1 exhaust, chrome billeted foot brake pedal, chrome shifter, Ness mirrors, and Ness finned engine covers. I can hardly wait for spring! My bike is very close to the photo attached. Again, thanks to all for your assistance.

Cobra

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
That is a cool looking bike ....

Welcome to the vic group then, spring here we come ha ha

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Cobra- welcome soon to the fold. If I can offer any advice re the Hammer S, just fire away. I've had mine for just over 4 years now, and I don't intend on ever selling it. I'll get another in a year hopefully- lately I've been having wet dreams over an Indian Darkhorse.

But back to the Hammer S- yep lash (back lash) is evident on many Victorys, just some not so noticeable. I actually took mine back to the dealer and made them change the torque compensator under warranty, which did improve it maybe 30%. But the positives of the bike far out way the negatives, and that's the only one I have now. Let's face it- no bike is perfect, that's why we need more than one- kinda like women? The stock seat was another that really used to **** me- I got it recovered, now it's awesome.

Anyway, post some photos once you're up and running in the Hammer forum- been a while since we had fresh blood :)

BTW- hope you didn't order the Ness Rad levers? They are complete ****!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Great build Cobra thumb up...May the winter not be too long for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts