Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been thinking about something lately but I don't know what the rules are or if there's enough interest to bother with this - your feedback appreciated.

Now that Polaris is not making Victory parts or accessories how would someone go about acquiring a sticker of the brand? I've seen some eBay listings for plain vinyl stickers but nothing for full colored graphics (which I am all about these days). I could so easily make solid colored stickers with my plotter and wide selection of colored vinyls, but after a couple sleepless nights wrestling with the amount of work it would be to custom make a $3 sticker to a specific size and color decided it just wouldn't be enough payback for the time involved. However it might be worth doing in short runs of a couple specific sizes and colors which I could pop into an envelope and send with a postage stamp. So here's what I was thinking - pic below - just a couple sizes and colors which would appeal to a wide selection of Victory faithful. I'm not sure I could do it for the prices shown but if I could, would there be any takers for this? You guys can be my guinea pigs and if it turns out to be financially worthwhile I would sell them on the VicWrapz website. Any interest in something like this?

·
13,263 Posts
Maybe look into see what or how the logo is trade market. You can do it on line. I haven't seen that little R on the logo so maybe there is a loop hole. Maybe just leaving off motorcycle will get you by. Victory is a general name. Maybe add 1998.
I know HD would be all over the people that do there logos that are not authorized

Reactions: SkInM4N and id-man

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I'd jump on a few.....dependent on how "red" the red looked in natural light....... :ltr:

Reactions: broggyr and id-man

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
I'd like a few myself but VJ has a good point about the patent on the trademark. Some people sold Harley and Sturgis T-Shirts in Sturgis in past years, were taken to court over it because neither HD nor the city of Sturgis got their cut. The T-Shirt makers/sellers had to pay out a lot of money which they probably could not afford so they likely went into bankruptcy and out of business which was the goal.

If you could make it different enough to get around any trademark patents; you would be better off. I think we would still want them even with the changes. CYA bro.

You could use an edgy font, something Victory never used, and I don't think the word Victory can be trademarked but in a certain font and design it can.

Besides, if only other Victory riders get what it is, that's okay too right!

I do like what you did with these though...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure the trademark is still owned by Polaris who registered various iterations of its logo as far back as 1996, but I wonder if anybody gives a damn anymore whether it's reproduced. I could send a letter to their legal or marketing departments but would anticipate only two possible outcomes; no response at all, or an emphatic hell no, just because. It may be a case of better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Why should the Victory faithful be denied the freedom to flaunt their pride just because Polaris won't make stickers themselves?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I could sidestep the trademark issue by giving them away free I suppose. Free with a VicWrapz purchase that is!!! That's the ticket.....
I'm kidding, the purpose of doing it would be to provide a product that you can't get anywhere else and make a little money in the process - not that it would be much, but enough for the effort to be worthwhile - if there's even a market for it, so I'm listening.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
You can do anything you want. You are taking all the risk so it's completely your call.

I suspect you're right about Polaris not giving a damn but is it worth the risk? I assumed risk by compiling a bunch of service manuals to distribute for free online on the forums. Of course Polaris knew about it but decided it was in their interest to allow people to have these otherwise I would have gotten a little cease and desist letter.

Chances are, since you are a small operation and not some big company, IF, and that's a big IF, they cared enough about you making these emblems they would likely send you a cease and desist warning letter before taking it to the next level. If you chose to ignore the warning then you might find out what happened to to those T-Shirt makers/sellers at some point.

The fact is Victory is no longer in the motorcycle manufacturing business and as soon as they sell off their inventory; they won't even be in the motorcycle selling business. They probably wouldn't give a hoot if you sold a few hundred of these or whatever. Besides, in a way, you are helping by advertising for them; they just aren't getting the few dollars for the emblems in the process. I don't think it would be worth it to them to give it another thought if they did find out.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
That's likely the outcome, but we have all seen what happens when an otherwise insignificant venture gets strung up because some lawyer got a bug up his ass about it...

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
That's likely the outcome, but we have all seen what happens when an otherwise insignificant venture gets strung up because some lawyer got a bug up his ass about it...
Can you give me an example of something like that you might be thinking of?

This is such small potatoes it would take a really desperate lawyer to care and who would be paying him? Attorneys don't go after a mom and pop business on a Pro-Bono basis for some big corporation. There's no upside for him to do so.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Can you give me an example of something like that you might be thinking of?

This is such small potatoes it would take a really desperate lawyer to care and who would be paying him? Attorneys don't go after a mom and pop business on a Pro-Bono basis for some big corporation. There's no upside for him to do so.
OK, let me revise my statement to say that a corporation will get a bug up their ass about it and enforce it with the help of their legal department ;)

Here's a small example. A pub in Britain used the term "Family Feast" to describe a Christmas Day offering, but KFC decided they didn't like it and attempted to fight it (they didn't prevail). This kind of thing happens all the time.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/kfc-backs-down-in-legal-challenge-against-country-pub-6581357.html

I assume that if they did give a **** and wanted him to stop, they'd first have to send a cease-and-desist letter, etc. so there'd be plenty of warning.

Polaris actually sells (or sold) sicker sheets with their various Victory logos on it. So, who knows?
https://store.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/shop/apparel/gifts-collectibles/gifts/2863590/

Reactions: id-man

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you could make it different enough to get around any trademark patents; you would be better off. I think we would still want them even with the changes ~ Besides, if only other Victory riders get what it is, that's okay too right!
Thanks BBob, you just gave me a good idea to make other Victory-related stickers that do not infringe on any copyrights or trademarks, such a couple nice designs for "TTWFO2" or the bike model's names in a non-regulated font "Cross Roads", "Gunner" "Vision" etc.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Good points Broggy. Whatever you think is best id-man. :)

I still like that copper inlay design...

Maybe I'll buy one of those sticker sheets. It says stickers not decals. Anyone know the difference? Shipping cost more than the sheet.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
If these "adhesive-backed decorations" (see what I did there?) are of the same quality material that the Vicwrapz are made of, then it is most definitely worth it.

Reactions: id-man

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks BBob, you just gave me a good idea to make other Victory-related stickers that do not infringe on any copyrights or trademarks, such a couple nice designs for "TTWFO2" or the bike model's names in a non-regulated font "Cross Roads", "Gunner" "Vision" etc.
Here is a graphic of what I mean - no infringement here as these are all original creations of my own with zero resemblance to any Polaris graphics.
The only problem with this type of graphic is I'd have to have to limit them to just a couple color options, and probably contain them somehow inside a panel
to keep from having to contour cut and mask the small pieces.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I would certainly be interested in a few, whether original pattern or not, if you could post to Taiwan.... maybe drop off Polaris?! Maybe even have a VictoryForums one?

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I bought these off ebay a few weeks ago to replace the crappy OEM Victory by Polaris badges.
Cheap as, and great quality.

Attachments

Reactions: RICZ and SkInM4N

·
13,263 Posts
here is a victory bicycle. It doesn't say who makes it. But if you drag your courser over the neck part you'll see the logo/badge. It looks like our badge.
So like I said if you leave (motorcycle) off I don't think you would be infringing on Polaris rights or if you changed 60% of the original design

Victory - Touring 126M Cruiser Bicycle | eBay

1 - 20 of 62 Posts