Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this should be in the techie section, but I'm a newbie with less than 5 posts.

Well, My XC wouldn't start and I diagnosed it to the starter motor. Resistance from the +ve terminal of the motor to the case was 70 ohms, which is way too high. So, I thought, take out the starter motor and see what's what.
First, check the service manual:

1/ Remove chin fairing center section.
2/ Disconnect battery -ve terminal. Fair enough.
3/ Remove pannier bags. I could see this was going to be a mission.
2/ Remove mufflers. Remember, the starter motor is at the front of the engine.
3/ Disconnect the O2 sensors and remove the front parts of the exhaust, with the right-hand passenger foot board.

This didn't work - I had to move the front right footboard as well, and just managed to remove the front header pipe after a lot of wiggling.

Getting the starter itself out was easy, and when I checked it again the resistance was down to 3 ohms. It probably would have worked, but this is still way too high.
Took the starter apart and cleaned the brushes and their channels. reassembled it. Resistance now at 0.1 ohms so I'm happy.

Put everything back on the bike, and it started just fine, a day and a half after I began stripping it down.

Took it for a test ride - - - Once it got warm the MIL came on, and I got a error code indicating the rear cylinder is running lean.

Now, the only thing that I can guess has happened is that I've damaged the connection to the rear O2 sensor, but I can find no information on how to test whether it is good or bad. Digital wrench will tell you what figures the ECU is using, but if the sensor is bad it's probably using a default value which tells me nothing about the sensor. A straight resistance test of the two sensors both read OL on any available range.

How can I test an O2 sensor?

Best wishes,

Chris DC

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That is the code you get when the ECM see one 02 sensor plugged in. Unplug them both, and enjoy the ride

02 sensors of this type work by exciting a pizio crystal , and creating between 0 to 1v. If you have a good DVOM you can see the voltage. Like I said though. Unhook them bike, and force the bike into open loop. It will run better then the 1970's tech driven crap it's using for EPA compliance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - all OK

Thanks for the info, which was spot-on. I disconnected both sensors, and the MIL light hasn't come on since. It may be psychological, but the bike does seem to run better without them, particularly at low revs.:laugh

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
It more then likely does ....:laugh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts