Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am replacing the cams in my victory at the moment and have read and watched about every video and forum there is on the topic.
Rear cam is in without issues.
front cam is almost there, but that is where I ran into an issue. I cannot get the cam chain back on the actual cam. the rear went on without a problem. The engine is locked in TDC and the chain is zip tied to the wheel so it cannot move. however I really cant get the wheel back on the cam itself. any suggestions?

Yes I have the chain tensioner out, but that didn't really help me

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:

I got it on finally, but for some reason the marks on the cam do not line up with the wheel. I have attached a picture. The motor is pinned at TDC and has not moved, and my chain is zip tied to the wheel so that also did not move. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Post pic of crankshaft. If crank actually at TDC, then rotation of cam and gear is needed, loosen carrier first. If crank 180 degrees out, rotation of crank needed to get to TDC with cam out. Then reinstall cam and gear at TDC.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
UPDATE:

I got it on finally, but for some reason the marks on the cam do not line up with the wheel. I have attached a picture. The motor is pinned at TDC and has not moved, and my chain is zip tied to the wheel so that also did not move. any suggestions?
looks like cam is 180 out, but want to see crank shaft position.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Hey all,

I am replacing the cams in my victory at the moment and have read and watched about every video and forum there is on the topic.
Rear cam is in without issues.
front cam is almost there, but that is where I ran into an issue. I cannot get the cam chain back on the actual cam. the rear went on without a problem. The engine is locked in TDC and the chain is zip tied to the wheel so it cannot move. however I really cant get the wheel back on the cam itself. any suggestions?

Yes I have the chain tensioner out, but that didn't really help me

Thanks in advance
I just did something similar and buttoned it all up and had me a one cylinder Victory just running on the rear, rang Kevinx and sent him pics of the front cam markings turned out I had got the front cam in upside down, So Kevin suggested I unbolt the cam sprocket and carefully turn the engine through by hand till the front lined up properly and then bolt the cam sprocket back to the cam.'
Worked a treat!
I thought Ihave to unbolt the cam carrier again after everything was retorqued but doing it Kevs way made sense.

all the youtube vids I found were crap made by people waffling on and jumping past crucial steps, Vindex sent me the PDF of the S&S install instructions clear and precise...have a look back a few pages on my Back in Black thread and see if youve done what I did, if so theres an easy way out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts