Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
13,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time h-d rider and was shocked to see that victory has no real performance. All they have is exhaust and air filter. But is it really performance. They offer a down load but that only bumps up the red line and adds a little fuel.
Where are the cams the ignition's and tuners and the real performance air filters.
Yes i know you can go to Lloydz and get more power then you can hang onto.
Is h-d the only motorcycle company that offers performance or does Honda Suzuki or Kaw

·
Registered
784 Posts
Drinking and posting?
HD sells a bike that they make the way they do so they can sell you more and more and more. Then they sell the clothes from skivvies to ball gowns. Then they sell you a fake "lifestyle" that turns the stomach of most motorcyclists.

Great market plan for them. Doubt many could pull it off. Most of the others don't sell performance packages. They put it in at the start or give you the option for after market. Some aren't upgradable.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My Victory has performance for me. I love the way my bike performs...and it is stock except for the airbox. cheerscheerscheers:D

·
Super Moderator
5,060 Posts
Drinking and posting?
HD sells a bike that they make the way they do so they can sell you more and more and more. Then they sell the clothes from skivvies to ball gowns. Then they sell you a fake "lifestyle" that turns the stomach of most motorcyclists.

Great market plan for them. Doubt many could pull it off. Most of the others don't sell performance packages. They put it in at the start or give you the option for after market. Some aren't upgradable.
Genius is what it is create your own aftermarket for the bike and the person.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Drinking and posting?

How do you really feel? Lol. ?

Sent from my nifty phone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda sells HRC kits (Honda Racing Corporation) for the CBR1000RR.

KTM sells a racing kit for the RC8.

Yamaha sold a hop up kit for the Star Warrior. Hi Comp Pistons, Cams, Exhaust, and ECU.

Kawasaki has racing kits for the sportbike line.

All of the above are very expensive. At least $3k up front. Not a lot of cruiser/ touring performance parts from the manufacturers though.

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
Geez VJ, I've learned to expect more from you than that bit, or are you quoting another source? H-D owners have to shell out mucho dinero to just match the power of the 106. My mods cost me less than $400 and my power output is much greater than it was stock. Hell, just the $142 Lloydz adjustable timing wheel alone will let out a big herd of horses.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
VJ- I dont get this- did someone hack your login and post this?
Victory are too small yet to offer their own power enhancements, but it will come with time once they grow. Is that what you are asking?

·
Registered
690 Posts
The reason HD has all that stuff, is because you need to buy it to make the bike perform the way it should from the factory.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'll bite...
The performance packages that HD offers (stages 1, 2, 3) are warranty compliant. This is their selling point AND their downfall because any aftermarket package will perform better than the Screamin' Eagle stuff... just like any aftermarket package will out-perform the "Victory Performance" stuff.

Like the rest of the HD 'all image' thing... most guys don't really care if the bike performs its best, they just want to say they have a Stage 3 because it sounds badassed when said on a bar stool. When riding, the bike needs to look and sound badassed... but if it were actually badassed (you know, made some serious horsepower) the owner would be afraid of it. The image of power is far more important than having power for real.

I'm sure this will be seen as bashing on the bikes and the people who ride them... but I see it all the time. A guy spends $25,000 on a bike to look cool , sound cool, and when the bike doesn't perform he will say, "Powerful enough to get me in trouble". Yeah, OK, but for the riding you do (light cruising), and the performance you require, any 800-1300cc cruiser would do the job as well or better and cost $15,000 less. They bought the Harley BECAUSE it was a Harley and to have the image that comes with that. Hey, if that's what a man is after, fine with me, but what chaps my ass is the "Harley is the best motorcycle in the world". Sorry, no it isn't.

The truth is that lots of these guys wouldn't recognize best bike if it walked up and kicked them in the nuts. Exactly the reason why the Kingpin didn't sell like hotcakes... most guys didn't appreciate that it was the most competent and versatile American cruiser on the market. "I don't like the fenders".

In the two years I spent deciding what would be the best motorcycle for me... I just compared fender styles and bought the one with the cutest fenders. Not.

Example: Vegas sales not so hot. What to do? Should we improve the way the bike runs, rides, handles, and stops? Hell no, put apehangers, spoke wheels, wide whitewalls, and a flat black paint job on it. Sales are up!

Sell the image of performance. No one cares about actual performance.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I hop on. I turn the key. I twist the throttle. I ride. Great performance. My bike is bad ass!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I'll bite...
The performance packages that HD offers (stages 1, 2, 3) are warranty compliant. This is their selling point AND their downfall because any aftermarket package will perform better than the Screamin' Eagle stuff... just like any aftermarket package will out-perform the "Victory Performance" stuff.

Like the rest of the HD 'all image' thing... most guys don't really care if the bike performs its best, they just want to say they have a Stage 3 because it sounds badassed when said on a bar stool. When riding, the bike needs to look and sound badassed... but if it were actually badassed (you know, made some serious horsepower) the owner would be afraid of it. The image of power is far more important than having power for real.

I'm sure this will be seen as bashing on the bikes and the people who ride them... but I see it all the time. A guy spends $25,000 on a bike to look cool , sound cool, and when the bike doesn't perform he will say, "Powerful enough to get me in trouble". Yeah, OK, but for the riding you do (light cruising), and the performance you require, any 800-1300cc cruiser would do the job as well or better and cost $15,000 less. They bought the Harley BECAUSE it was a Harley and to have the image that comes with that. Hey, if that's what a man is after, fine with me, but what chaps my ass is the "Harley is the best motorcycle in the world". Sorry, no it isn't.

The truth is that lots of these guys wouldn't recognize best bike if it walked up and kicked them in the nuts. Exactly the reason why the Kingpin didn't sell like hotcakes... most guys didn't appreciate that it was the most competent and versatile American cruiser on the market. "I don't like the fenders".

In the two years I spent deciding what would be the best motorcycle for me... I just compared fender styles and bought the one with the cutest fenders. Not.

Example: Vegas sales not so hot. What to do? Should we improve the way the bike runs, rides, handles, and stops? Hell no, put apehangers, spoke wheels, wide whitewalls, and a flat black paint job on it. Sales are up!

Sell the Image of Performance. No one cares about Actual Performance.
Are a Few Exceptions to That .. :)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Victory Performance

VJ, define performance or the lack of it in the Victory. I have no problem with mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Long time h-d rider and was shocked to see that victory has no real performance. All they have is exhaust and air filter. But is it really performance. They offer a down load but that only bumps up the red line and adds a little fuel.
Where are the cams the ignition's and tuners and the real performance air filters.
Yes i know you can go to Lloydz and get more power then you can hang onto.
Is h-d the only motorcycle company that offers performance or does Honda Suzuki or Kaw
If you are buying parts from the factory to increase "performance" well then you are EXACTLY the type of customer HD markets to... those who don't have the ability to build anything.

My stock 106 has beaten many HD's with fuel controllers and intakes, exhausts... your basic idiot proof bolt-ons. So I guess what is your definition of performance. Because once you start talking cams, pistons and rings, REAL performance parts, this whole HD vs. Vic point is out the window.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Lostintexas: Drinking and posting? Touche'

I've spent several hundred thousand miles on the venerable HD and at one point in time loved the marque. It took almost twenty years but the epiphany finally revealed itself to me that HD is in my opinion the most under engineered and over priced motorcycle in the world. The engine design can indeed be made to run like a scalded ass ape but usually not using HD cases and parts, at least not if you want it to hold together. I currently have a rigid foot clutch chopper sitting in my garage with an 89" Stroker motor (S&S) in it that produces 117 horsepower and roughly the same torque. Building that motor was roughly $6k and that was at wholesale parts prices, the retail would have been close to double that. Is it fun to ride?? You bet. Is it dependable?? Not a chance!!

As far as the original post is concerned...I've only had a Victory for about three weeks now and it's been a learning curve. I came off of a Stratoliner and an Electra-Glide before that. The 106 is a different critter inside and out. I figured out after the first 500 miles when I took it out on the highway that these things like to RUN!!

In my younger days I loved to build motors and I also loved to GO FAST!! Those days are behind me now and I'm not sorry either, the factory engines that Victory produces are impressive as hell and if some of you youngsters want to hop them up then have at it but I suggest that you learn to ride first (no offense intended). The sad part of this whole thing is that unlike when I came up riding and racing Cafe' bikes we the owners can no longer do the tuning. Yes fuel injection is more efficient etc. etc. but you can't tune the damn thing without paying somebody then you depend upon their expertise or that of their software to make it right. Gone are the days of matching carbs and exhaust or porting to fine tune a bike that would pull the front wheel off the ground under acceleration in third gear. Now it's who's got the deepest pockets when they walk into the dealership.

I'm not so much worried about performance mods on the Victory, it's kinda like the old Harley T-shirt from the '80's said, "If I have to explain you wouldn't understand". The die hard HD owners just don't get it. They don't get the fact that there are motorcycle manufacturers out there that actually sell a bike that will perform without throwing thousands of dollars at it.

In closing I'm going to point out that if somebody on a Harley actually manages to pull you on a standing start or a roll-on you can rest assured that he's got many, many more $$$$ into that bike even before he started throwing performance mods at it than you did the day you rolled out of the dealership parking lot.

I shall now step down off my soap box and go lay down by my dish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
wacwacwacwac

·
Registered
511 Posts
Geez VJ, I've learned to expect more from you than that bit, or are you quoting another source? H-D owners have to shell out mucho dinero to just match the power of the 106. My mods cost me less than $300 and my power output is much greater than it was stock. Hell, just the $142 Lloydz adjustable timing wheel alone will let out a big herd of horses.
You must be sharing the bottle with VJ, the timing wheel does not give you a herd of horses. What it does do is move the torque curve lower in the RPM range allowing the torque to come on sooner than stock.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Actually , the timing wheel nets about 2hp and 3 FT Lbs of torque , based on Rylan's before and after dyno runs .....

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
You must be sharing the bottle with VJ, the timing wheel does not give you a herd of horses. What it does do is move the torque curve lower in the RPM range allowing the torque to come on sooner than stock.
OK V1, a tiny tiny herd. But they sure FEEL great!thumb up

1 - 20 of 26 Posts