Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victory HID review for my 2013 Victory HighBall.

I ordered my HID lights some time ago (over 6 months) and didn't get around to installing them until two weeks ago (something always came up, or was I creating an excuse not to do it?). once i started the process was simple (even a child could of figured out what went where).

PROS
1) Easy install.
2) The difference in amount of light over the stock bulbs (almost like driving on a football field during a night game).

CONS
1) It takes a few seconds for the bulbs to come on.
2) When switching to high beams the light is not as bright as it should be at first.
3) Frequently getting bright lights flashed at you.
4) Almost invisible during the day (hard to tell if the light is on unless you check, (walk to the front and look or place your hand in front of it).
5) Light cancellation- the lights oncoming cars are more blinding unless the oncoming car also has HID or LED lights.

OVERALL RECOMMENDATION
1) Install the lights already, well worth the money.
2) Pay no attention to the difference in number of PROS vs CONS.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
OVERALL RECOMMENDATION
1) Install the lights already, well worth the money.
2) Pay no attention to the difference in number of PROS vs CONS.
Please explain this in layman's terms .... Should I get the HID's or not ?:D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yes Mags. I have the factory low and Crossroads high. Mine came stock with the low. Otherwise I doubt that I would have dropped the cash for the factory low.
But it is a good thing.

I rewired mine with a button switch with an led halo. I can tell it's on by the halo. I am not a fan of starting my bikes with the headlight on so they are all switched. The HID takes a moment to get to full intensity when switched on. That"s why high beam does not immediately light up. Neither does low. Once they have been turned on they come on more quickly as long as there ain"t a lot of off between ons.
Definate bang for buck factor. Big light but you won"t use high much unless you find a lot of empty nowhere in the middle of the night. I would venture to guess having a general idea of your riding territory that adding high beam is more show than go.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Make sure your headlight is height adjusted correctly. I was lucky mine was right on. I haven't had any people flash their brights at me yet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure your headlight is height adjusted correctly. I was lucky mine was right on. I haven't had any people flash their brights at me yet.

I don't know if it is adjusted correctly or not, but it is adjusted to where I can see the best. The cagers can flash me all they want, and if I have had my high beams on, I light them up

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Please explain this in layman's terms .... Should I get the HID's or not ?:D

Like Dope Man said, yes. They are do easy to install & give off so much light. Especially if you ride a lot at night. You will love it. I would go with the ones from crossroads for the price & warranty.

Sent from my nifty phone!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ok guys , I'm convinced . I'm doing it !thumb up

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
I don't know if it is adjusted correctly or not, but it is adjusted to where I can see the best. The cagers can flash me all they want, and if I have had my high beams on, I light them up

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Measure from the ground to the center of your headlight then 20 ft away set some sort of target at that height and your low beam should be on that spot with you sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I absolutely love my VictoryHID low and high beams. I agree with the pros and cons and particularly with the conclusion that they are well worth the $ and give a football field of light. The stocks on my hammer were awful, like a small yellow light ball 20 ft away from my bike and not much else let and the brights were marginally better. These are, as someone in another post stated, one of the best mods to make, unless you don't ride at night or like riding blind. Crossroads was great and made sure that I had the right bulbs for my scoot since I had a newer light can than stock. Highly recommend these HIDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got mine from Crossroads..
But I put the High Beam Halogen back in because when I want more light I want it right now.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
CONS
1) It takes a few seconds for the bulbs to come on.
Are you sure that's what you meant to say? wac

2) When switching to high beams the light is not as bright as it should be at first.
3) Frequently getting bright lights flashed at you.
4) Almost invisible during the day (hard to tell if the light is on unless you check, (walk to the front and look or place your hand in front of it).
5) Light cancellation- the lights oncoming cars are more blinding unless the oncoming car also has HID or LED lights.
Based on your comments, I can guarantee your headlight is not aimed correctly. Because of this, you're putting light up in the sky instead of putting it on the road ahead of you and you're blinding oncoming traffic. Your owners' manual has a very simple procedure to align your headlight. thumb up

A properly aimed headlight will be more visible to oncoming traffic, because they can see the bright light without having to squint their eyes to block it. For example, you can't look at the sun and tell where it is, but you can look at laser that's pointed at something else and observe it's location and movement. Extreme metaphor here, but you get the point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just installed mine a couple weeks back and I LOVE IT! Easy installation, does what it is supposed to do and you can't beat the price. I ordered the low beam only since that's all I ever really use and it's a night and day difference, especially since my daily commute takes me through some twisty mountain roads.thumb up

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Measure from the ground to the center of your headlight then 20 ft away set some sort of target at that height and your low beam should be on that spot with you sitting on the bike.
Mine is set correctly, just confirmed, thanks for the specification on how to correctly adjust. It was about an inch low at about 20 feet.

Are you sure that's what you meant to say? wac
Yes, that is what I meant to say. I turn on the key, wait for the light to come on, then turn on the kill switch and let the fuel pump pressurize while the light warms up, then I fire up the engine, put on my gear and ride off. It is not a huge deal that it is not instantaneously, but felt it was worthy of mentioning in my review. A proper review leaves out no details. Besides it is still the best mod I have ever made to any bike that I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
One question as far as the ballast and ignitor goes, is there plenty of room in the headlight bucket for those or did you have to find another place to hide them on the bike>?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
One question as far as the ballast and ignitor goes, is there plenty of room in the headlight bucket for those or did you have to find another place to hide them on the bike>?
yeah there's enough room, just a matter of organising what's already in there a bit, so you can slip the ballasts in too.
Its a piece of cake, If I can do it anyone can:)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
yeah there's enough room, just a matter of organising what's already in there a bit, so you can slip the ballasts in too.
Its a piece of cake, If I can do it anyone can:)
Copy that, plenty of room inside the headlight bucket. Ive been thinking about doing the low beam in mine.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Copy that, plenty of room inside the headlight bucket. Ive been thinking about doing the low beam in mine.
you wont regret it,
I did both beams but downunder ya need both,
out here in the wilds jousting with rampant roos and killer koalas, gargantuan goannas, leaping lizards, cranky crocodiles, serious snakes, and hungry sharks ( well dont really have to worry about them if you stay out of the water)
seems from what I've read on here that most American riders must be riding in well lit cities and not need high beam except to signal an overtaking move (I just put blinker on do a headcheck and go).....cos yr just so much more visible with the blue tinged light anyway
Seriously.... low beam is sooooo much better than stock

1 - 20 of 38 Posts