Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sum what confused on Polaris's choice to put the Indian and Victory line of bikes at the motoplex's. I really think that they need to break the Victory and Indian lines to a stand alone shop for better service and more direct sales of the equipment. I hate to say it but They really have to start thinking on the same lines as harley. They have stand alone shops, better parts selections , better clothing lines and more personable sales reps that in most cases make the whole experience of buying there product a special event for the customer. I own a Victory Crossroads and love the bike, but I didnt get the feel good experience from the motoplex that i saw at the harley dealership. I feel that Polaris is a great company but they have alot of catching up to do inorder to compete or surpass what harley has in place. Clothing, parts, service, events, Building life long customers.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I agree to a point but being in business 15 years is a lot different than almost 115 years. Harley has built up their dealer network over time. There are a lot of complaints about the lack of Victory Dealers as well as some complaints about the quality of dealers. I looked at Indians a couple of years ago and noticed there were very few dealers throughout the country. Had I been able to afford one :rolleyes: I would've been worried to take it on a trip since I might not be able to get service if it broke down.

Dealerships are a big concern for both brands. I see them as complementary vice competitive. IMO having both brands in the same dealership is a good thing since it means more support available if I need it.

BTW, what Rate were you?

·
Registered
545 Posts
IMHO whether a dealer is multi-line or not has nothing to do with the "feel good" experience. That experience comes from the dealer attitude and approach to customer satisfaction.

What cloud do you live on?... Harley dealers are noted for their arrogance and stand off attitude, unless you walk up to them and say that you want to buy a bike at over MSRP pricing... LOL

I now have an Indian and my Vision... comforting to know that I can have most of my cycle needs handled at one dealer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Im sum what confused on Polaris's choice to put the Indian and Victory line of bikes at the motoplex's. I really think that they need to break the Victory and Indian lines to a stand alone shop for better service and more direct sales of the equipment. I hate to say it but They really have to start thinking on the same lines as harley. They have stand alone shops, better parts selections , better clothing lines and more personable sales reps that in most cases make the whole experience of buying there product a special event for the customer. I own a Victory Crossroads and love the bike, but I didnt get the feel good experience from the motoplex that i saw at the harley dealership. I feel that Polaris is a great company but they have alot of catching up to do inorder to compete or surpass what harley has in place. Clothing, parts, service, events, Building life long customers.
I would have to disagree with that somewhat. Motorcycles are seasonal in a lot of areas and to me it makes sense for Polaris to keep everything under one roof because you would have stronger dealers by having sales opportunities year around from each seasons niche. I think warranty and parts would also be streamlined as well as factory training for technicians. Overhead is a big deal and all of this is huge costs to a dealer and the more they can justify it the better. If Polaris markets Indian right like they claim they are going to do I don't see any reason that Victory and Indian can't share real-estate under one roof along with all of Polaris' other products. If fact I think it would be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
IMHO whether a dealer is multi-line or not has nothing to do with the "feel good" experience. That experience comes from the dealer attitude and approach to customer satisfaction.
Exactly.

And did anyone notice that this whole stand alone motorcycle mecca thing only started during one of our last economic/stock booms?

Prior to that, one of the local HD dealers had a showroom about the size bar with much the same feel. The other carried Suzukis and Kawasakis. In that one, the HDs were displayed in a separate room of the dealership, but again it was pretty small area with a large parts counter.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Stand Alone sounds Great as long as have the business to support it ... Not cheap to have a Good Inventory and pay the Overhead and Staff it takes to run a good one ..

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It will be very difficult if not impossible for a shop to spring up selling on the Indian brand. First inventory on the first year will be very limited. Training a new staff from front to back room. Very difficult. Selling enough bikes to keep the doors open. Impossible. They need to blend.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
My local Victory dealer, Performance Powersports, is ten miles from my home, in rural Seneca, SC. They sell Victory, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Royal Enfield, Kymco and other scooters, Polaris 4-wheelers, personal watercraft, and probably some other stuff. I'm quite happy with the service that I have received from this dealer. I've bought four bikes there, numerous tires, had them tow my bike when I had a flat tire, bought a jacket and other stuff. They also have a fair but not terrific inventory of parts and accessories and apparel.

I live in a rural area. The nearest HD dealer is forty miles away. Victory and Indian sell in lower volume than HD. If Victory and Indian were sold only in Victory/Indian brand-specific dealerships, then the nearest dealers would probably be in Charlotte, NC and Atlanta -- 3 hours away each. Those city dwellers might then be very happy with their brand-specific dealers, but I wouldn't have one at all, and I probably wouldn't have a Victory (or Indian) either.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Here's what's happening here in Portland...I was at my Vic dealer yesterday and asked how close are they getting to becoming an Indian dealer as they want to becomne one. Reply was, it wasn't happening. Someone on the other side of town got the franchise to make it a stand alone. Makes sense and makes no sense. There are good points about either side of this coin.
I tend to agree with those pundits who are predicting that Victory might evolve away from the cruisers they now are because Indian will take over that part of the Polaris spectrum.
Victory is the only motorcycle my dealer sells, but they also carry Spyder, SeeDoo, SkiDoo, Polaris ATVs and Segways. So they have year around sales.
The largest H-D dealer recently took on the Triumph line up after that dealer closed its doors. They do have them in a separate area, however as they don't want the quality to spread onto the H-D floor.:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
It will be very difficult if not impossible for a shop to spring up selling on the Indian brand. First inventory on the first year will be very limited. Training a new staff from front to back room. Very difficult. Selling enough bikes to keep the doors open. Impossible. They need to blend.
This was my biggest concern about our local dealership. They are 100% Victory motorcycles, very few ATVs out front and also sell used cars. The cars are likely needed. It is a very small place staffed by I think three people, two brothers who own it and one other.

Although ninth in the nation in sales, it still does not mean those sales can support that particular dealership. Victory does not sell a whole lot of bikes in the big picture. Without two large cruiser bike Rallys a year I doubt this market would support a stand alone Vic dealership. BMW and Triumph are not even represented here.

From Investor relations
On-Road Vehicles business—which is predominately Victory Motorcycles—took in $146 million in sales worldwide. In 2012, once we more clearly defined the brand, that number grew 64 percent, to $240 million—with Victory contributing the majority of the On-Road Vehicles sales growth.
I took that number and divided it by an avg $15000 a bike not knowing how much was not motorcycles and came out with sales of 16,000 bikes sold internationally

They don't release unit numbers only sales figures on "ON Road Vehicles nor do they break down the percentages within that division of motorcycle sales except to say its the "majority" of sales. In 2012 sales figures. They increased sales 64% over 2011, Harley increased sales 6.3% Meaning Victory sold about 9000 more bikes in 2012. while Harley sold approx 14,500 more bikes. (6.3% increase of 230K units). The trend is good for Victory.

First quarter 2013 both companies are lagging in sales badly. Harley decreasing 12% Victory On Road sales down 3% (BMW up?) Might be the long wet weather season in the best riding months followed but the heat.

My only reservations about Victory is resale is closer to the metrics than the HD and what will Indian do to Victory sales already pretty low in the big scheme of things. One thing for sure. Victory is making Harley step up. But I think they need a $7000 ladder bike. Like Yamaha's Bolt and the Sportster 883. The Blot in particular has an extremely active forum for a bike that has not been fully released.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
My only reservations about Victory is resale is closer to the metrics than the HD and what will Indian do to Victory sales already pretty low in the big scheme of things.
Which makes me wonder about their boardroom.

I really could care less about my Vic's resale since as well as mine works, I'm more liable to run it into the ground than trade it.

Got caught in some horrendous storms yesterday. I've never been one to hide under bridges, but I wasn't dressed for it and this thing flat skeered me. Radio announcer claimed 60 mph winds. I hid under two before making my way to an Arbys where I was able to let most of it pass.

Anyway, the one problem I see here with some regularity is the cruise control shorting in the rain. Mine was not affected.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Was at Polaris of Gainesville today to pick up some parts and asked them if they were going to be an Indian Dealer .. Didn't get a positive Yes but from the hints they let pass on would say the outlook is good at having one 30 miles from me.. Only other place am sure of that will have one within 100 miles is Daytona ..

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My Dealer in Ft. Pierce says no way. Over head !!! He has small Vic inventory but can just about get any bike you want. He does a lot of ATV sales and service. Has a cool location on US1 and has been there forever. !st Victory dealer in Florida. Ma Vic wants to make a super store there. Not interested.

Indian will more likely be stand alone in areas where small Vic shops exist. These Private owners are still trying to bounce back from this recession. They don't want to take the chance. Some of your bigger super stores like Greater Yamaha in WPB who is now a Victory/Polaris dealer may be the right choice due to facility size and public traffic.

Still if you live in a Motorcycle town and there are plenty of dealerships for different brands with in a 15 to 30 mile radius you may find Indian setting up camp. Ma Polaris will be playing it smart enough to see where all the cruiser sales are across the country and that's where she needs to put the Indian brand.

It's going to be interesting to see and personally I cant wait for it. wac. I hope to be as impressed with Indian as I was when I first laid eyes on Victory s Vision and cross bikes.:cool:. Trying to make room in the garage now. Wifey says i'm:crzy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts