Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding the same bike for the last 28 years (a 1985 V65 Sabre), I've decided it's time to treat myself to a new bike, and I'm very interested in the Victory Judge.

I've already checked out the Judge at the Washington DC show last weekend, and have read a lot of info on-line about it. Next step is to do a demo ride to hopefully lock-in my decision.

Given I'm tall (just under 6'2"), I'm interested to find out about any mods/recommendations that will help provide a bit more leg room/comfort for longer rides. I.e., moving foot pegs further forward and possibly optional shocks that would raise the bike up without compromising on its looks.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking forward to the test ride and when I sat on the bike at the Washington DC MC show, the fit wasn't bad. Just thought that with my feet on the pegs, it would be nice to have them just a bit further out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the recommendation on the forward pegs. Do you know if Victory offers these for the Judge, and if not, what's a brand that you would recommend.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey RSA

You should be able to put any other Victory peg mounts on the Judge. I don't know about the '14 but my '13 I had to get a Vegas Brake lever. I have Vegas Forward mounts on mine; it was real easy to do, hardest part was getting the pegs off the original mounts. I also installed a Progressive 1'' taller rear shock. It lifted the ass end up a little for a bit more lean angle. The Progressive shock also took out a lot of the spine jolt on pot holes and bridge gaps.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Kury has some heel rests for the pegs that really make a world of difference to me. Almost like having floorboards without the floorboard look.

I'd like to hear more about the Sabre. Twenty eight years is a long time to be riding the same bike; especially that model. How many miles are on it? Have you had to rebuild it? Got a picture to share?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sabre Picture.

Hey newj64,

Being new to Victory bikes, I didn't know that peg mounts from other Victory bikes would work - a helpful tip, thanks. The dealer mentioned to me that the existing mounts could move fore of aft 4", but I didn't get a chance to verify that comment, and I'm not sure I believe it, so I plan to look into this further when I do the test ride.

Also glad to hear about the Progressive shock. I had read a review about putting in a taller shock to help with lean angles and also provide a bit more suspension. Do you know by any chance if the model is the 465 Series Long??

Thanks for the info
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the interest in the '85 Sabre. It's a great bike and I do plan on keeping it since it's in good shape and still runs great. It has 62K miles on it, and aside from putting a kit on it quite a number of years back to drive more oil to the top end since these V4s were know to wear prematurely near the piston heads, I've not had to do any other mechanical work to it. I have a back rack and back rest on it, but it was off for the time getting treated to a new paint job when this picture was taken. The seat is relatively new, and the looks aren't the best, but taking the bike on long trips is important to me, and being tall this is great for leg room.

Thanks and now I just have to convince my wife why I need 2 bikes - once I buy the Judge!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
If youre gonna have any chance of convincing your wife Id strongly suggest you upgrade the Judge to a touring seat.
After that its only you that will need convincing to keep the Honda.:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had a poster of this bike (and many many others) on my wall when I was a kid.. Brochures were individual bikes, and had posters folded in there.. These were my wallpaper.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Thanks for the interest in the '85 Sabre. It's a great bike and I do plan on keeping it since it's in good shape and still runs great. It has 62K miles on it, and aside from putting a kit on it quite a number of years back to drive more oil to the top end since these V4s were know to wear prematurely near the piston heads, I've not had to do any other mechanical work to it. I have a back rack and back rest on it, but it was off for the time getting treated to a new paint job when this picture was taken. The seat is relatively new, and the looks aren't the best, but taking the bike on long trips is important to me, and being tall this is great for leg room.

Thanks and now I just have to convince my wife why I need 2 bikes - once I buy the Judge!
If you plan on doing much two up riding I would look at other models depending your and your wife's sizes and weights.

If you two are on the lighter side then the Boardwalk with, windshield, touring seat, and bags would be a good setup. With your experience there's no reason not to get the Cross Roads and fix it up the way you want. There are lots of ways to pull amazing power out of the 106 motor nowadays thanks to Lloydz Performance. Just plan on spending an extra $2k to get it released. Maybe just $1200 if you don't want to do the cams. You could find a good used set of mufflers that breathe better, the Lloydz air filter and the PCV w/Auto Tune and she will run sweet. You could always put the cams in later and let the Auto Tune retune it for you then. The nice thing about the bigger Victory bikes is they all handle like a lighter bike. You can easily carve up some canyon's with them. Particularly the XR, Cross Roads, with it being lighter than the others. There are plenty of good used XR's around for the price of a new Judge I think. Figure the Vic motor is built to go 150k miles or more. Probably 200k+ the way you take care of your bikes.

I'm certainly not knocking the Judge but it is more of a one up bike or two up for maybe just day rides around the country with frequent stops. JMHO.

Your Sabre looks fantastic for its age. Heck; I wish I could say the same thing but I look rode hard and put away wet too many times. Your bike is a perfect example of why it pays to take care of your ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a poster of this bike (and many many others) on my wall when I was a kid.. Brochures were individual bikes, and had posters folded in there.. These were my wallpaper.
I Remember what you're talking about regarding the posters of the 80's bikes. I had a few myself. Good memories!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you plan on doing much two up riding I would look at other models depending your and your wife's sizes and weights.

If you two are on the lighter side then the Boardwalk with, windshield, touring seat, and bags would be a good setup. With your experience there's no reason not to get the Cross Roads and fix it up the way you want. There are lots of ways to pull amazing power out of the 106 motor nowadays thanks to Lloydz Performance. Just plan on spending an extra $2k to get it released. Maybe just $1200 if you don't want to do the cams. You could find a good used set of mufflers that breathe better, the Lloydz air filter and the PCV w/Auto Tune and she will run sweet. You could always put the cams in later and let the Auto Tune retune it for you then. The nice thing about the bigger Victory bikes is they all handle like a lighter bike. You can easily carve up some canyon's with them. Particularly the XR, Cross Roads, with it being lighter than the others. There are plenty of good used XR's around for the price of a new Judge I think. Figure the Vic motor is built to go 150k miles or more. Probably 200k+ the way you take care of your bikes.

I'm certainly not knocking the Judge but it is more of a one up bike or two up for maybe just day rides around the country with frequent stops. JMHO.

Your Sabre looks fantastic for its age. Heck; I wish I could say the same thing but I look rode hard and put away wet too many times. Your bike is a perfect example of why it pays to take care of your ride.
BBob,

I'm turning 50 in April so this is a milestone birthday gift to myself. Aside from thinking the Judge is a great looking bike and the reviews are generally very positive, my wife is still about 5 years away from getting back on a motorcycle. We road the Sabre a lot together years ago on some long trips, and she has every intention of riding again, but wants to wait until the kids are a little older before getting back on. Guess that's the ER nurse in her... just using good judgment.

With that said, since I'll be primarily riding solo for the next 5 yrs, the Judge at it's price point seemed like a good option to try as my first cruiser. I'm also planning on keeping the Sabre (at least for a while) as it's a great running bike and will be good for the occasional two up ride with my son.

Thanks for all the good info on the Cross Roads, and my plan is to take a look at this bike when I go to the dealer next - just to make sure I've considered other Victory options. Also appreciate the compliment on the Sabre, and I've been lucky to always keep in garaged.

Rob

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here was my opinion regarding 2 up on the Judge from another thread if it adds any value. .

http://www.victoryforums.com/showpost.php?p=645130&postcount=20

And just for fun- another 80's bike. This is me around 1984/5 on what I figured to be the most badass bike in the world. My dad says he kicks himself daily for selling it...

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yep fixed now. I forget that you need to use the attachment feature instead of the bb code due to size restrictions. . Takes me a minute on this new phone with extra touchy keyboard. ...

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Im sure he kicks himself daily!...with both feet...imagine having it now in the immaculate condition of the pic, never rode a CBX1000, did you get to ride it yourself?
my Judgement on the Judge seat from the cries of pain every time we hit a decent bump, youll be shelling out for the touring seat, or riding solo....for more than bar-hopping anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the link to the info on the two-up riding. Also enjoyed the picture of you circa 84/85 on the Honda. I have a similar picture of me when I first got the Sabre back in spring of '86. Good fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts