Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think this Octane doing burnouts and wheelies has anything to do with what the public wants?

If you think holding a burnout world record is great marketing, you're a fucking neanderthal imo.

Rusts like a bitch, can't corner for ****, burns fuel and oil... but it does burnouts... gih gih Cletus!

What sadder is Victory thinks this is a great way to market. Well that explains why they produced the Octane in the first place.

Simple put, Polaris isn't a motorcycle company, it's only a company that makes motorcycles. No passion, no clue what so fucking ever!

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The Octane's marketing has been a joke...Why not add burnouts to the ridiculousness now? Sad, just sad.

My guess is Polaris want's to market Victory bikes to the young & stupid crowd(no offense to anyone young & stupid) that hasn't become loyal to HD while getting more matured riders to Indian.
Which seems really asinine because Victory X Bikes and Visions are some of the best touring and distance riding bike in the world. Every day it seems more and more riders are discovering what we know and buying into Vic baggers and tourers. One would think that Polaris would want to capitalize on this instead of wasting resources on foolishness like Octane.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That marketing got me on a V65 Magna back in the early 80s.Remember PeeWee Gleason doing a burn out on a track.
The Octane is aimed at the same crowd 20-30 yr olds that are still "wild and crazy"

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm 25 years old. I think its awesome!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can understand why they do it because they want you to see it as OMG the power!!! And yes I think it is definitely a target audience they are shooting for aka the younger crowd. I don't think its wrong but I think they need to market the rest of their bikes the same way. I don't mean with burnouts but showing tourer's on tour bikes etc. Just get the name out in the market more!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can understand Vic wanting to be thought of as a performance bike producer - HD tries that also with the 103/110 - - fail.

The fact that bike displacement just keeps getting larger shows that buyers want the "impression" of power in their machine. Actually having that power for real is icing.

I love the power of my X Road- but own it for it's ability to gobble up long milage days with comfort and LOTS of storage. But having that power on tap makes me happy :laugh

Reactions: doobliss

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Wasn't there a Big Dog commercial or one of the chopper builders that had something riskay on the commercial? Was not a burn out I can tell you that.

·
13,263 Posts
Octane and touring bike should not even be in the same sentence. Yes the Octane can burn rubber and I betting with Lloydz help. Look last year Vic had the CC doing burn out at rallys demonstrating how powerful they are.
If you think about it if Vic came out with the Octane and just rode it down the road and back who would care. They have to make a big splash to get us talking about it.
I think its a shame that Victory is not upgrading their bikes. No improvement to any models for the last 6 or 8 years. Changing the tranie gears that should of come that way in the beginning doesn't count.
Octane is more than likely designed for overseas and we get part of it

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
That marketing got me on a V65 Magna back in the early 80s.Remember PeeWee Gleason doing a burn out on a track.
The Octane is aimed at the same crowd 20-30 yr olds that are still "wild and crazy"
Wow... I thought that I was only one sober enough, and old enough to remember that. I actually found that commercial on YouTube recently. A real "moment" for me watching that commercial as a young man. Every guy in my dorm was jacked after seeing that commercial, and everyone wanted a Magna or Interceptor that year. Cool

Victory can do all the burn outs that they want. Good luck to them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i like the fact they are getting that kind of power out of the new motor, how much longer will we be able to buy our bikes and cars able to get wheelies and chirps in 3rd gear? epa will come eventually and we will be telling our great grand kids, well sonny, when i was young...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
A burnout probably originated from drag racing where competitors burnout in water in a section behind the startline.
Serious BIG horsepower monsters will carry a burnout all the way thru the startline and sometimes almost up to half track but at least out to the 60 foot line.
Then they reverse along exactly the same path to take advantage of the fresh sticky rubber tracks theyve laid down.
Then when the Xmas tree lights go green theyre off in a shot.
Heats up the rear tyre/slick töo for even more traction.
Added bonus of a strong burnout is to psyche out the opposition.
Not to mention the visual and aural appeal for the crowds in the spectating.
From its roots its grown evolved devolved into specific burnout comps, drifting etc.
On the street its a great way of having your vehicle impounded by the law.
Got a YouTube clip I filmed a few years ago of a decent burnout at a local poker run after the last card was drawn and the trophies given out it was time for the burnout comp.
On my phone now so cant link it.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
The original Honda Valkyrie ad of it doing a power slide had me on two Valkyries. Loved them both and would buy another in a heartbeat.

PS - burnouts are not compulsory and I've never done one. I like watching them once in a while though for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
A burnout probably originated from drag racing where competitors burnout in water in a section behind the startline.
Serious BIG horsepower monsters will carry a burnout all the way thru the startline and sometimes almost up to half track but at least out to the 60 foot line.
Then they reverse along exactly the same path to take advantage of the fresh sticky rubber tracks theyve laid down.
Then when the Xmas tree lights go green theyre off in a shot.
Heats up the rear tyre/slick töo for even more traction.
Added bonus of a strong burnout is to psyche out the opposition.
Not to mention the visual and aural appeal for the crowds in the spectating.
From its roots its grown evolved devolved into specific burnout comps, drifting etc.
On the street its a great way of having your vehicle impounded by the law.
Got a YouTube clip I filmed a few years ago of a decent burnout at a local poker run after the last card was drawn and the trophies given out it was time for the burnout comp.
On my phone now so cant link it.

now THIS is a burnout!
https://youtu.be/NOQtdW2TgB4

·
Registered
632 Posts
/QUOTE]

I would have a buddy if mine use a mix of water and Clorox , And then only burn out to the pre-stage line, Backing up with posi traction would unlock the axial ..
68 440 Charger 525 hp.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow... I thought that I was only one sober enough, and old enough to remember that. I actually found that commercial on YouTube recently. A real "moment" for me watching that commercial as a young man. Every guy in my dorm was jacked after seeing that commercial, and everyone wanted a Magna or Interceptor that year. Cool

Victory can do all the burn outs that they want. Good luck to them.
I know when a few young teens like us seen that commercial we were hooked loved that Magna. We went over to Schiets Motorsports he gave us Magna key chains we were in love.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
cheap tyres

those cheap no traction OE Kendas melt like butter, for sure!!! test riding the scout confirmed the poor front brakes made the even poorer OE Kenda tyres squeak + slip while braking firmly, but still a decent bike for the $$$

1 - 20 of 20 Posts