Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team:

My second bike is a 2007 V-ROD (VRSCX) and was seriously thinking on trading it for a Highball but now with the Octane out I do not know what bike will be better regarding power and handling. The Octane or the Highball.? Also how the engines compare? I am a big fan of the Freedom 106 engine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello Team:

My second bike is a 2007 V-ROD (VRSCX) and was seriously thinking on trading it for a Highball but now with the Octane out I do not know what bike will be better regarding power and handling. The Octane or the Highball.? Also how the engines compare? I am a big fan of the Freedom 106 engine.
I think that depends on what you'll be doing with the bike. If your goal will be spirited riding through twisty back roads, i'd go with the Octane. It's just lighter on it's feel and has all the power you'll ever want in that small chassis. But if you like comfort, strong torque and are more of a straight line kind of guy, then there's no replacement for displacement. 106 bikes will be more comfortable and a modded 106 engine will always make more power than the 1200 octane engine.

I like low end grunt, big block kind of power delivery myself, so the buzzy smaller engines that rev to infinity don't cream my twinky...

Just one mans opinion.

Reactions: RICZ and Dos_Equis

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Ride them both and decide for yourself. Nothing like personal experience. I think you already know this though. ;)

Of course you could ride them both and like them for different reasons and not be able to choose. Then you really would be in a pickle. :D

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
There's also another debate: Air/oil cooling or liquid cooling? A new design or one that's been around long enough to have huge aftermarket and forum support?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hello Team:

I think what you'll find and you may not like is the 106 red lines at around 55 hundred rpm's and the Octane red lines over 8 thousand rpm'. I love my Gunner but it smacks into the red line way too soon... My Tri-Glide 103 red lined at about 55 hundred.. I had it upped to about 64 hundred so i can hold 2nd and 3rd longer and not have to up shift if i just need a quick burst of speed to get around someone moving slow in front .

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Hello Team:

Wow...its tough when you have to choose between two ends of the spectrum, in this case; somewhere(Highball) and nowhere(Octane)....

lol...I'm kind of kidding ;) I'd say if you want a more direct replacement for the V-rod go for the Octane. If you're looking for something different to replace it, Highball all the way.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I guess first question would be how you fit on each bike.
Being uncomfortable is only OK if the bike has a tremendous cool factor and your only going to go to the bar and home again. Can't really go too much further in your search till you know the answer to that question.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
One of each would be fine,
Your second bike should be a counterpoint to your first.
For Example:- I previously rode a 1973 XS650 and also had a
1989 GPZ900R in my stable.
Two very different bikes.

·
13,263 Posts
From Lloydz Facebook page today, right on schedule....
We're pretty pleased with the output of the new Victory Octane, laying down a sweet 92 hp in stock form - and, a more impressive 108 hp with a LLOYDZ tuned exhaust and intake. We’ve gained +16 hp and +15 Ft lbs of tq at the rear wheel while playing with this 'lil beast! Exhaust sound on this bike is absolutely incredible, and the new name for our pipe is the "LLOYDZ RLB" pipe which stands for 'RASPY 'LIL *****'.
While nearing the completion of our intake, we saw the release from another company,offering a similar design to what we had going on. This made me think “Sum *****! I’m NOT going to release another cookie cutter airbox for this bike!" SO... I’m stepping it up, and were gonna blow some more minds with a killer intake that is not some generic clamp on.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Your second bike should be a counterpoint to your first.
Really....I was completely unaware of this rule. Good thing it doesn't apply to underware..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
2 for 1.

Ride both,then you will buy both(maybe?) Or just put down your $30K and get a new MOTUS, V-4 water cooled, I believe around 160hp and made in the USA. If I was well off I would already be putting in my order! It handles good and has pleanty of power without mods! So they say, I have yet to see or ride one in person. One day I will ride one. Now can somebody start me one of those donation things on line so I can come up with the money. Please give and I promise you I do not rap and I am not in debt for 50+million dollars. Please help I feel the need for speed!
:angel

Reactions: sparkn and RICZ

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am happy with the power of the V-ROD. Stock is supposed to be ~120HP, with the mods installed by the previous owner it should be more. I thought the Octane will be more on the range of the V-ROD.

Still not sure what way to go.

Highball with the awesome Freedom 106 engine, the new Octane engine or keep the V-ROD.....decisions...decisions....

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I am happy with the power of the V-ROD. Stock is supposed to be ~120HP, with the mods installed by the previous owner it should be more. I thought the Octane will be more on the range of the V-ROD.

Still not sure what way to go.

Highball with the awesome Freedom 106 engine, the new Octane engine or keep the V-ROD.....decisions...decisions....
If you are wealthy, keep the V-Rod and buy the Octane and the Highball. If you aren't wealthy and the V-Rod is paid for and you still like it, hang on to it and your money. You still have a 106 to wrap your legs around, so you're not missing anything and there will be more money in the bank to enjoy for other life's pleasures.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are wealthy, keep the V-Rod and buy the Octane and the Highball.....
****..if money was NOT an issue I will have something like Jay Leno's garage! I work in the Oil & Gas Industry and the job situation is tight. V-ROD will be pay next month and the XC I still have like 3 more years to go. Better just stay put but every time I see a new model I want it!! Also drooling with the new Ducati XDiavel.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
What gets me drooling is the new American made Motus. Just the sound it makes is worth the price of admission. What a wonderful sport touring motorcycle made with no compromises.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What gets me drooling is the new American made Motus. Just the sound it makes is worth the price of admission. What a wonderful sport touring motorcycle made with no compromises.
It sounds amazing. I would like to hear it in person

·
Registered
12,330 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Okay....I had no idea what this MOTUS was until I just now read the thread and looked it up. You can bet your ass I'll getting myself more informed tonight.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts