Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma:

I am the proud owner of a new 2014 XC 8 Ball, and I must say I'm in love. This bike has everything I'll ever need, with the exception of one thing.

This bike does not have the OEM radio.
I have the ipod hookup in the right side bag, and I can control my ipod from the left handlebar control. I occasionally like to listen to my local stations, and want to know if I purchase the radio display, antenna, and wiring, can I just plug and play the radio? Will I need to have the bike "reflashed"?

The bike has the cover over the hole where the radio should go. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ride safe!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,027 Posts
so you want a OEM radio you know there over a thousand dollars.
How would you mount it? Maybe a smart phone would be easier

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Over a thousand dollars? I'm seeing the oem radio displays for around 450-ish. I have a smart phone and do not want to go that route.

I simply want to know if the oem radio unit is plug and play....

Thanks

·
13,027 Posts
Maybe you should take that smart phone and call the dealer. What makes you think in plugs in to wear

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be some type of interface between the control on my bar to the iPod in my saddlebag. That's *where I think it should plug in -.-

Oh, and I have called the dealer, they can't give me a definite answer.

Again,

Thanks....

·
Registered
579 Posts
The systems are completely different. The only similarity is they have speakers and a volume control.

Your best bet would be to get a cable similar to this click me , then hook up a small fm radio similar to this. click me

I think this would give you FM through the speakers, you would not have any control of the radio, just volume.

It seems there are Ipod's with FM tuners. click me

Good luck
Let us know if you find a way to add the OEM radio.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rlaw, do you use a Bluetooth communicator? The cardo scala has an fm radio in it. I know this doesn't answer your question, just trying to get you thinking in the event what you want can't be done or done cheaply.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ridinman - I have definitely thought of the iPod nano with the fm tuner built in. I just wasn't sure what I would be able to control with the bar switches.

Encmerk - I have a Sena SMH-10 I use for my iphone.

Regardless of what I discover, I will post it here for all to learn from.

Again,

Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Victory is pretty good about prewiring there bike for add ons. So I would bet that all the wiring for the OE head unit is there and all you would need to do I add the head unit and maybe swap a wiring harness. Have you gotten a price for the head unit? Maybe you could get one from a wrecked xc? I'm sure they are out there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jchris,

I agree. My vegas has harnesses in the headlight pod for heated grips, and so on. I'm sure the connection is there, I just was wondering if anyone has actually tackled this project before.

Another reason I would like the oem head unit is because it allows integration of the XM unit, CB, and other things.

Again, I'll post my findings here when I take this mod on.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not trying to be an ass, but if the OEM radio and it's associated FM/XM/CB options are such a priority for you, maybe you shouldn't have gone with the 8-Ball model?

To help you solve your mystery, here's a few pictures for you to look at. The large connector in this picture is the main audio harness connector. Do you see one of similar size with the same colored wires coming out of it floating around in your fairing anywhere?

In this picture you can follow the main connector down to where the wires enter the large wiring loom. The small piece of loom branching off to the left in the picture is the speaker wires for the right speaker. It should continue left across the subframe on your bike, mine just heads downwards due to aftermarket audio equipment. The two large black connectors in the foreground are part of the audio harness for XM and the CB/BT options and should not be present on your bike.

Anything look familiar in there? I would think the easiest way to track it down would be to follow the wiring loom coming out of your right speaker. If it interesects with a large loom that has an unused connector at the end of it, you at least know the wiring is in place. If not, you are likely SOL without some major reworking of your bike's electrical system. Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tonygiotta,

Thanks for your input. I will take a look at the wiring harnesses when I take the fairing off for the speaker upgrade. I'll be doing this real soon.

To answer your question about why I went with the 8 ball over the other models is because I wanted the blacked out look. I don't want to spend time polishing chrome when I can use that time to be out riding. Been there, done that.

I contemplated getting the cross country (non 8ball) in black, but the 8 ball comes just like I want it, just without the oem radio.

If for some reason the bike is not pre-wired to accept the stock oem radio, I will get an ipod with the FM tuner, or the dockboss air and stream my Iheart radio from my iphone to the dockboss receiver.

I know there are other options out there, I just want to stay as "OEM" as possible.

Thanks and ride safe!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Be sure to report back when you figure it out. I'm sure there are others out there that would be curious to know whether the OEM radio is plug-and-play on an 8-Ball or not.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I would be very surprised if the wires weren't there. I can't see Ma vic building out separate harnesses. It just wouldn't be cost effective. Plus, they will make more off oem sales for upgrades and make for easier installs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am missing something here. He has a CC 8 Ball with a fairing but there is no radio head???????

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow just looked on site and low and behold a plastic cover instead of a radio. Learn something new everyday. I would bet my life all the wires are there, no way it is a different harness.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Redisland,

I completely agree!! Like I said in a previous post, there must be some type of interface which mates the handlebar control and speakers to my ipod in the saddlebag.

Btw, the stock sound system sounds great in the 8Ball....

And Gamewarden, you are correct, where the stock radio would be, is a removable cover.

Thanks again for all input!

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I has to guess I'd say no. The computer doesn't really handle the radio. I get the audio system will detect he new components and make the available after connection. May take a battery disconnect. This is a completely uneducated guess by the way, just my understanding of computers and some other devices.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know through the dealers Digital wrench you are supposed to get a radio upgrade every year or so. So I would think once you get the hardware installed the dealership would do the software through the digital wrench program. Seems like a no brainer for any dealer.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts