Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in regards to the recent news that Polaris is ending Victory production:

I have been using the Victory oil-change kit for my 2016 Gunner. I intend to keep this bike for a long time, in spite of Victory's demise.

My question is, if Polaris stops selling this kit, what is the best oil to use as a substitute?

Does anyone know who actually makes this oil? Also, the oil filter - what brand/size is the filter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm debating on buying like 5 of them and storing them until this is figured out. Given the number of Oil threads out there, this debate will go on for a LOOOOONG time unless Victory/Polaris tells us all what is the new approved oil for our bikes.

Which I doubt they will ever do as they charge an arm and a leg for the "Victory Oil Change Kit"

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rotella T6 5w-40 has been my oil for years... on both my bike and diesel truck.
Wix filter part#51356 or Napa Goal 1356 works for our oil filter substitute.

Oil is the least of my worries with Vic going under....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manual is very specific that the oil has to be "semi-synthetic". Since I plan to keep this bike for a long time, I just want to be sure I'm buying the right oil.

A friend of mine "supposedly" fried his 106 because he put straight synthetic in his bike instead of the semi-synthetic.

Yeah, Spawn, I thought the same thing... but jeez, 5 of those damned things would be 300 bucks!

·
13,298 Posts
doesn't the Scout Indian use the same oil.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have been using the 5W40 T6 FULL SYNTHETIC for 42,000 miles in my Vics . Full Synthetic did not end the life of your buddies motor , something else did .....

·
Registered
570 Posts
The manual is very specific that the oil has to be "semi-synthetic".

A friend of mine "supposedly" fried his 106 because he put straight synthetic in his bike instead of the semi-synthetic.
Where in the manual does it say that semi-synthetic is required? I am suspect of this because my manual says no such thing with the same motor.

Your friends engine fry had nothing to do with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been using the 5W40 T6 FULL SYNTHETIC for 42,000 miles in my Vics . Full Synthetic did not end the life of your buddies motor , something else did .....
Yeah, that's why I said "supposedly"... I can't ever tell with that guy. :wink

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where in the manual does it say that semi-synthetic is required? I am suspect of this because my manual says no such thing with the same motor.

Your friends engine fry had nothing to do with synthetic oil.
Well, now you've got me wondering. Going home right now for lunch. I'll look again. I always did think that was weird.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, now you've got me wondering. Going home right now for lunch. I'll look again. I always did think that was weird.
I found it for you, 2016 Gunner manual:

"Engine Oil Specifications
Polaris recommends the use of only VICTORY Semi-Synthetic 20W-40 oil, Synthetic 15W-
60 oil or an equivalent oil designed for use with wet clutches (such as those with a JASO MA
rating). "

The keywords above being "recommends" not require, and "or equivalent oil designed for use with wet clutches such as those with a JASO MA rating."

the 15w-60 is the oil now made for the Indian.

·
Registered
570 Posts
the '14 manual says something similar:
Engine Oil Recommendation
Polaris Recommends the use of VICTORY brand Semi-Synthetic 20W-40 Motor Oil or
equivalent motorcycle oil that is approved for use in wet clutch transmissions (such as those
with a JASO MA rating).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that's my usual problem - I only read the first half of the sentence... (smacks forehead)

But you have to admit, expensive or not, that oil change kit sure is convenient.

I ran full synthetic for years in my Harleys - dumped the same oil in the engine, transmission, and primary. Never a problem.

I'm just trying to make sure I do right by my Victory, now that she's an orphan and all... :crying

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Same thing in the manual for my 2012 XR

Engine Oil Recommendation
Polaris Recommends the use of VICTORY brand Semi-Synthetic 20W-40 Motor Oil or
equivalent motorcycle oil that is approved for use in wet clutch transmissions (such as those
with a JASO MA rating).

I had an issue when I bought my bike with the dealership (not a Vic dealership) putting in the wrong oil, which resulted in a burned out clutch slipping faster and a greased penguin on a skating rink.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Victory oil doesn't have a JASO MA rating.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Read the label on a container of Rotella T-6 and you will find its rated JASO-MA2. That means its good for motorcycle engines, good for wet clutches and good for catalytic converters. It has a heavier additive package for Diesel engines which have a 22:1 compression ratio. Its base is 5W for easier cold starts and a faster flow to the hydraulic lifters. I inadvertently ran T-6 over 7K miles, sent a sample in and the lab report said its just fine and BTW, there's 2500 more good miles left on it. It can't get any better than that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Read the label on a container of Rotella T-6 and you will find its rated JASO-MA2. That means its good for motorcycle engines, good for wet clutches and good for catalytic converters. It has a heavier additive package for Diesel engines which have a 22:1 compression ratio. Its base is 5W for easier cold starts and a faster flow to the hydraulic lifters. I inadvertently ran T-6 over 7K miles, sent a sample in and the lab report said its just fine and BTW, there's 2500 more good miles left on it. It can't get any better than that.
That is what is funny to me about Victory recommending a JASO MA. JASO MA is not for motorcycles with catalytic converters, JASO MA2 is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What weight Rotella do you run in your bike?

(jeez this is confusing as hell)

·
Registered
12,353 Posts

Rotella T-6 only comes in 5W-40. I'm a bang for the buck guy and can buy Rotella T-6 @ less than $20 / gallon when on sale and with rebates and/or coupons. So I simply can not justify buy other oils at $12 / quart or some such. I got turned onto T-6 when a forum member posted his very impressive lab report.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts

Nothing confusing about it the first number doesn't mean squat you want a 40wt that's wet clutch compatible. 5-40 10-40 15-40 20-40 are all 40wt the first number is cold weight or winter weight that's where the W comes from like in 10w-40. Rotella T5 15W-40 is a blend T6 is synthetic and T4 (triple T) is plain oil.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts