Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
got it. i was a lil slow on the draw there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jeez fellas, am I being too much of a cheapskate by annealing the sump plug washers to cherry red in a gas flame, then dropping them into water then reusing them?
I did this on Nortons for a dozen years with no problems, it was the shop manual recommendation, and now for 4 years with the Hard Ball. No sign of leaks.
Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
308 Posts
to paraphrase Captain Renault from Casablanca "I'm shocked, shocked to find that innovation and thinking is going on in here! " . Sometimes I've even reused old washers. Still no oil leaks for 5 1/2 years. The horror, the horror......(Gratuitous "Apocalypse Now" reference) (Orrrrr good stuff ObiSteve. We're going to need a lot more af that thinking as time goes on.) LMYR

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Doesn't heating and rapid quenching HARDEN the metal and isn't the goal for these crush washers to have them a little soft so that they will conform to the shapes of the two mating surfaces (drain plug shoulder and engine case)? If so, why would hardening them help?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know that it does not contain the magic formula of Victory oil, but I have been using Spectro Golden 4 20 X 40 Semi Synthetic oil for over a year now and do not think my Victory could run without it. Have also been using the K & N bolt end oil filters for over 20 years on all my bikes that I have owned. Also I reuse the copper washer from time to time if it looks OK. I do recognize I am living dangerously.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,850 Posts
If you need to replace the washer every oil change on bikes or cars you're doing it wrong. Tight, not crazy. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Doesn't heating and rapid quenching HARDEN the metal and isn't the goal for these crush washers to have them a little soft so that they will conform to the shapes of the two mating surfaces (drain plug shoulder and engine case)? If so, why would hardening them help?

Heating and rapid quenching will harden STEEL, but it will fully anneal copper. Different metals, different metallurgical processes.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
It depends on the type and makeup of the steel as to whether it will harden when heated and quenched. Doesn't work on all steel.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
I just ordered Spectro Golden 4 Semi-Synthetic 20w50 Case of 6x1L

I hope it will arrive to were i live,

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hey Vinish, heating copper to red heat then quenching it in cold water softens it right up, right back to the state it was sold to you in. You might want to take any black oxide off with fine emery cloth, but if you hold your container of cold water right up to the edge of the gas flame, you can usually get the red hot washer out of the flame and into the water without it being exposed to the air long enough to form much oxide. If you really gorillaed it tight last time you fitted it and left an impression of the sump plug head in the washer, put the emery on a piece of plate glass and flat it back.
Old photocopier glass is good to use as a surface plate for this. I used to be a copier tech a very long time ago!
I expect to be using the same washer for the next 10 years. OK, it's only a minor saving.

Aah, don't try this if you're using an aluminium crush washer!
Cheers, Steve.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
Definitely going to have to try this on my next oil change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 99 V92C takes 5.5 quarts per oil change. Just did one today. My dealer here in Alaska has 2 kits left on the shelf. He won't be selling Indians, so no more kits.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 99 V92C takes 5.5 quarts per oil change. Just did one today. My dealer here in Alaska has 2 kits left on the shelf. He won't be selling Indians, so no more kits.
time to switch to Rotella T 6 8)

ride safe,

Rob

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Iron Pony in Columbus Ohio has a couple dozen of those kits.
Not really interested but for those that are they are there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm debating on buying like 5 of them and storing them until this is figured out. Given the number of Oil threads out there, this debate will go on for a LOOOOONG time unless Victory/Polaris tells us all what is the new approved oil for our bikes.

Which I doubt they will ever do as they charge an arm and a leg for the "Victory Oil Change Kit"
The victory oil recommended for both victory and indian us And oil. This oil with extra heat is great. 15w-60

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ahh& I dont ever recall seeing 60w oil recomended in manual for Vic 108's

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Is this another oil that is supposed to help with heat?
60 seems a bit high.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts