Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told they are the same oil just different label. Now that makes sense for a company to me.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I was told they are the same oil just different label. Now that makes sense for a company to me.
Yep. Made by the lowest bidder.

·
Premium Member
13,303 Posts
Yep. Made by the lowest bidder.
In this case I think Polaris has been consistent in getting its oil from Lube-Tech and it is made to spec.

These days I get the feeling oil is oil as it almost doesn't matter if you buy the cheap stuff or the expensive oil; they all lube well as long as they get changed when needed.

The Walmart brand, Super Tech full synth, is pretty much the same as Mobil One full synth at about 2/3 or 1/2 the price depending on where you buy it.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
In this case I think Polaris has been consistent in getting its oil from Lube-Tech and it is made to spec.

These days I get the feeling oil is oil as it almost doesn't matter if you buy the cheap stuff or the expensive oil; they all lube well as long as they get changed when needed.

The Walmart brand, Super Tech full synth, is pretty much the same as Mobil One full synth at about 2/3 or 1/2 the price depending on where you buy it.
The only oil that made my Vic sound worse/louder than the oem oil was Amsoil. Luckily it was given to me, so I didn't waste money.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I hate oil threads because they never lead anywhere except with people arguing. I am a couple of other automotive threads and hear all kinds of "advise" from people about what kind when to change, etc. The most important thing as Bbob said is to change it at or before the time/mileage the manufacturer says too and check the level in between. I get a new company truck every few years or so that I drive home every day and beat the snot out of it in between. My company contracts the service of them out and it usually changes every few years as well. We get the cheapest oil and myself and most of the guys I work with usually go well over the recommended interval but we drive these trucks to 150k -200k miles and none of us ever have any engine problems. Transmissions/transfer cases, rear ends are a different story though.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts

I hate oil threads because they never lead anywhere except with people arguing. I am a couple of other automotive threads and hear all kinds of "advise" from people about what kind when to change, etc. The most important thing as Bbob said is to change it at or before the time/mileage the manufacturer says too and check the level in between. I get a new company truck every few years or so that I drive home every day and beat the snot out of it in between. My company contracts the service of them out and it usually changes every few years as well. We get the cheapest oil and myself and most of the guys I work with usually go well over the recommended interval but we drive these trucks to 150k -200k miles and none of us ever have any engine problems. Transmissions/transfer cases, rear ends are a different story though.

It's so simple.

Name brand, wet clutch compatible......BAM good to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I hate oil threads because they never lead anywhere except with people arguing.
Same for political or religious threads.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Bob I get what you are trying to say, but in reality the chemistry of the oils are very different, regardless either will propel a quality car for a few hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Bob I get what you are trying to say, but in reality the chemistry of the oils are very different, regardless either will propel a quality car for a few hundred thousand miles.
I will second that. Years ago, Motorcycle Consumer News did an exhaustive comparo of a couple dozen MC and auto oils. At a chemistry lab, each was analyzed for additive contents and endurance. The mag showed all the results in bar charts and the results were surprising. Some cheaper auto oils had a better additive package than MC oils. Prolly not applicable to what the results would be today, so my advice would be to look for the JASO-MA2 rating on the jug.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Surely not debate about Oil .. But Used OEM for all the 80,000 Miles put on my Cross Country other than did have some Amsoil 20W50 sitting around decided to give it a try with no bad results other than Clutch would slip a but at High RPM's shifting so went back to OEM with No Problems and never used Oil between changes the Full Life of the 4 1/2 Years and 80,000 Miles I owned it and Still Running Great when Traded It ..

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
It's so simple.

Name brand, wet clutch compatible......BAM good to go.
Surely not debate about Oil .. But Used OEM for all the 80,000 Miles put on my Cross Country other than did have some Amsoil 20W50 sitting around decided to give it a try with no bad results other than Clutch would slip a but at High RPM's shifting so went back to OEM with No Problems and never used Oil between changes the Full Life of the 4 1/2 Years and 80,000 Miles I owned it and Still Running Great when Traded It ..

It does fit with my saying.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By Amsoil studies Victory oil is extremely good oil. The greats difference in be twin the 2 is Amsoil is a little higher in zinc additives. I've used Amsoil a lot and have never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
And what oil out there for Vics has had issues? The answer would be none. Put in what Polaris calls for or better, change it when you should, enjoy riding your sweet Victory!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts