Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering i need to paint a hammer front fender black and i know that victory paint codes dont cross reference to any other paint manufacture has anyone matched victory Black to any other paint manufacture?Black is black?

·
13,263 Posts
Black is not that easy. There is something like 33 different shades of black. I have heard Ford black is very close. I would take your front fender to a paint shot that can analyze paints and have them see what they can come up with. Have a body shop paint it and do the hole fender that way it all matches

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Black is not that easy. There is something like 33 different shades of black. I have heard Ford black is very close. I would take your front fender to a paint shot that can analyze paints and have them see what they can come up with. Have a body shop paint it and do the hole fender that way it all matches
That's very true. While most blacks will look the same on a cloudy day, once the sun hits the paint, you can see various amounts of other colors reflecting back. Usually blue, which help the black look its best, but the amount of blue and type of blue used varies.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok maybe you guys might know?A black fender from a hammer would that be the same black used on a 2007 hammer S were the fender is red and then the other half is black?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Ok maybe you guys might know?A black fender from a hammer would that be the same black used on a 2007 hammer S were the fender is red and then the other half is black?
It should be, however, at least in theory (might or might not be observable by naked eye), even the paint on the same model, same year will vary, due to variances in paint from the factory. So, if you're pursuing perfection, best bet is to have a local paint shop match it - they're good at that.

P.S.: Just like everything else around us, paint ages as well, so there's that factor to consider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are different shades of black but I use a jet black DuPont makes on all my black cars I paint unless it's a black met. I paint cars for a living and if I go by the formula for say gm black it won't match in certain lights but the jet black we use is a nice dark black

Sent from my LG-E970 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
on a 2012 Victory solid black it is :: V12HA36NA, NAA,NAC,EA
P-266 Black
C Clear
P-585 Tinted Black
SU silver undercoat
So there is a difference and the paint shop can find out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can have all the tins off in a couple of hours [or less]. The factory black on my JP was terrible, I just had a shop do the tins a pearl black [although it looks like dark grey in bright sunlight].

·
Registered
383 Posts
You also might want to upgrade the clear coat other than what Vic uses. I find their clear leaves a lot to be desired. I'm seriously considering repainting my entire bike because of the crappy thin clear coat they use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts