Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I've gotta say I love my CCT. Best ride ever.

I'm wondering though how much focus Polaris has on the Victory line. Reason being is I had been trying for 2 weeks to schedule the bike in for its 5,000 mail maintenance. I know that I could do the oil change myself, but needed the belt tension checked, as it's kinda noisy.

I bought the bike from a dealer 70 miles away, but have a local Polaris shop less than 5 miles away, which is where I wanted to take it.

Put off for 2 weeks, I finally arranged an appointment for 9:00 on a Friday morning. Took it in, the mechanic wasn't there yet, but no big deal. I left and heard nothing for awhile and called back at 2:30 to see how it was going.

The "manager on duty" tells me "Well, not sure he's done with your bike yet. We just sold a Ranger and he's got to get that ready first." Bottom line, they hadn't started on my bike, so I picked it up and won't be back.

What I drew from his statement is "We don't really give a crap about your motorcycle. The big money is with this four-wheel deer-haulers. We'll get to you when we don't have anything else to do."

When I drove the bike out of the shop, the mechanic did try to apologize, but pretty much confirmed what I assumed was the case. Their focus is on the outdoor vehicles, not Victory.

I am trying to get in touch with Polaris to discuss this, but wondering how many of you have run across the same attitude?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have never been back to my dealer for service , but I will say this : When I purchased my bike , it was still in the box , I said how long to put it together as I was thinking days to a week . He said ALL newly sold machines take precedence over repairs , whether it was bikes , sleds , ATV's , didn't matter . I had it 5 hours later . This my be a theory lots of dealers abide by .

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have never been back to my dealer for service , but I will say this : When I purchased my bike , it was still in the box , I said how long to put it together as I was thinking days to a week . He said ALL newly sold machines take precedence over repairs , whether it was bikes , sleds , ATV's , didn't matter . I had it 5 hours later . This my be a theory lots of dealers abide by .

My dealer was the same, new sales go to the front of the line for shop prep.

To the OP,

You said you took it to a Polaris shop that was willing to work on it. Are they in fact a Victory dealer as well. Just because a Polaris shop is willing to try and help you out doesn't mean they're qualified.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This my be a theory lots of dealers abide by .
Yuppir. These toys are Barbie dolls.

The money is in the dresses and the dreamhouses. You can't sell any of the dress up until you get the doll in little Sally's hands.

Walk into a multi-line dealer. Note how much space is allocated to dirt machines and gear, snow machines and gear, water machines and gear, friggin lawnmowers and chainsaws, as well as road machines and gear. Run the percentages.

Break those numbers down by brand. How much space for Yamaha road machines, Honda, whatever.

So if 25 percent is road machines and gear and half that is Victory, that's twelve or thirteen percent of space. If the dirt machines is 50 percent of space and half of that is Polaris then simple math says the dealer is twice as committed to your Ranger as he is your Highball. Each 1 foot square of linoleum is money burning. How the products eat that space is a thumbnail of how the dealer gets to the bottom line. It's more complicated for sure, but if Vic is a kiosk with the same five or six bikes that were there in March while right across the aisle the dealer got all nine models of '14 Ski Doos taking up three times the floor, you don't need to call Polaris hot line to get the lowdown on why your bike isn't getting VIP treatment.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Right on the mark Pop .thumb up

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
You said you took it to a Polaris shop that was willing to work on it. Are they in fact a Victory dealer as well? Just because a Polaris shop is willing to try and help you out doesn't mean they're qualified.
^^^Good question and point. If they are not a Vic dealer do not try and get a ATV mechanic to work on it. If they do not even sell the bikes, why would they be a priority?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes, absolutely a Victory dealer. As Pop said, 6-10 bikes on the floor vs. 40-50 other vehicles.

Live and learn....

·
13,048 Posts
geekydad

go to face book on the Vic page post what has happened. Be nice with no name calling. Tell them the name of the dealer and a way they can get back to you. You will here from them. Do it on monday cause no one monitors the page over the week end.

Go back to dealer and talk to the GM explain to him in a nice way how disappointed you are with there service.

Can't be much of a dealer if they only have one tech to work on a victory

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Geekydad,

You're right, the CCT is an awesome motorcycle. But your problem is with the dealer, not Polaris as a company. Talk to the Service Manager of the place again and if he comes off bad a second time. Tell him, "that's twice, don't worry, I won't ask you a third time. Have a good day sir". Then take your Victory business elsewhere. Find a good Victory dealer that understands what makes a business get repeat customers, support them and don't look back.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Oh yes, absolutely a Victory dealer. As Pop said, 6-10 bikes on the floor vs. 40-50 other vehicles.

Live and learn....
Geekydad,

You're right, the CCT is an awesome motorcycle. But your problem is with the dealer, not Polaris as a company. Talk to the Service Manager of the place again and if he comes off bad a second time. Tell him, "that's twice, don't worry, I won't ask you a third time. Have a good day sir". Then take your Victory business elsewhere. Find a good Victory dealer that understands what makes a business get repeat customers, support them and don't look back.
So;
After you go back and are still not happy; don't just say "the dealer". Use their "dealer name" so others won't need to go there and be disappointed too.
If I was traveling and had to go to a dealer away from my favorite one, how would I know where to NOT GO.
I looked on Yelp and there are some Victory Dealer with reviews. There needs to be somewhere the owners of Victory Motorcycles can go to learn who is good and who is not. Maybe everyone should do a comment on Yelp about the dealers they have done business with.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
This isn't an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately. My nearest dealer gave up (or lost?) their dealer license on Vic motorcycles, but they still do BIG business with Polaris ATVs and W/C. They had such a bad rep that I was told to NEVER get my bike serviced there! There is another dealer 2 blocks from the old one that is picking them up, and it doesn't look like they will make Vics a top priority over the many other lines they currently have.
The dealer that will get my business (PCV, LLoydz AF and dyno tune in 3 weeks) is 90 miles away. I've been told the service guy knows his business and the parts department was great when I was looking for backrests and iPod kit. Sadly, the closest dealer isn't always going to be best.
I heard all the guys bitching on the HD Forums about how there are so few dealers, and very few parts in stock. I thought, at the time, it was another brand owner making excuses for their choice in bikes, but it's the truth. I miss having a LOCAL choice...
But MAN, I LOVE MY XC

·
Registered
454 Posts
When I got my HighBall, I managed to get the maintenance plan threw in, which means when my bike goes in for service, it goes to the front of the line. So far I've been back out riding in an hour or less.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well guys. If your in the Memphis area I highly suggest Barton Powersports in West Memphis AR. They have exceeded all of my expectations. They have a great team from the top down.
Five star rating from this guy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does the shop you wanted to take it to 5 miles away sell your bike? If so, they know it didn't come from them, and now you want them to work on it.

Bikes are like cars. When you buy from another dealer, they are not as quick to get you in. I can understand that too.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
If you drove 70 miles to buy the bike, why not ride 70 miles to have the bike serviced? If you wanted the convenience of having a local dealer, you should have bought the bike locally. The way I see it you chose your dealer when you made your purchase. If you feel that you made a bad choice, learn from the experience. My dealer is 110 miles away (The Power Lodge in Brainerd, MN) and they bend over backwards to take care of me....a customer that purchased my bike from them. The only other Victory dealer I've been to was also fantastic. Needed a tire while on a road trip. Stopped at Flint Hills Power Sports in St. George, KS. They got my bike in right away and mounted a new rear tire. There are some really great dealers out there. I'm hoping they find some really good customers.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
No offense intended but you're pointing your finger at the company when it's actually the dealership that is at fault.

I've recommended posting problems on the Victory Facebook page numerous times in the past but in this case I have to recommend posting the problem on the dealerships Facebook page.

The problem with posting this sort of issue on the Victory page is that the dealership that caused your frustration isn't really affected. Posting on the dealership page will have more impact because it will make it obvious to people researching the dealership in Facebook that the dealer has issues.

Note that posting problems on Facebook may not help you as much as it will help future customers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While on a trip this summer on my Cross Roads LE, I had a flat tire on a Sunday morning, 20 miles west of Billings Mt. My bike was towed to Yellowstone Polaris in Billings where they sell everything Polaris makes. I left it parked outside (they were closed) with a note letting them know I was from out of town and needed my tire replaced.

Since I was staying at a motel close to the dealer, I went for a walk after dinner and headed there to make sure my bike was ok. The bike was not there! When I got to the building I started looking in windows and saw my bike in the garage Thank God! I think the owner had come in the afternoon to check on things and put my bike inside.

Fortunately they were open on Monday's. I had a new rear tire installed and was on the road again heading for the Little Big Horn by 1:00 PM. It would have been sooner but they did not have an inner tube for my tire and needed to go get one from another dealer. I felt they put me ahead of other work they had scheduled, so I could get back on the road. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
While on a trip this summer on my Cross Roads LE, I had a flat tire on a Sunday morning, 20 miles west of Billings Mt. My bike was towed to Yellowstone Polaris in Billings where they sell everything Polaris makes. I left it parked outside (they were closed) with a note letting them know I was from out of town and needed my tire replaced.

Since I was staying at a motel close to the dealer, I went for a walk after dinner and headed there to make sure my bike was ok. The bike was not there! When I got to the building I started looking in windows and saw my bike in the garage Thank God! I think the owner had come in the afternoon to check on things and put my bike inside.

Fortunately they were open on Monday's. I had a new rear tire installed and was on the road again heading for the Little Big Horn by 1:00 PM. It would have been sooner but they did not have an inner tube for my tire and needed to go get one from another dealer. I felt they put me ahead of other work they had scheduled, so I could get back on the road. I would recommend them.
Nice story and nice shop.

My brother's Victory Shop (Greg Coen Motor Company) in Springfield, Oregon also puts travelers ahead of the locals. He will even let the travelers change their own oil (if they want to) in the back of the shop.
He has been building and repairing Harley's for over 20 years and now Victory's.

·
Registered
340 Posts
He said ALL newly sold machines take precedence over repairs , whether it was bikes , sleds , ATV's , didn't matter . I had it 5 hours later . This my be a theory lots of dealers abide by .
My dealer was the same, new sales go to the front of the line for shop prep.
I agree with this observation as well. I was pretty disappointed however at how quickly the love fades...

My bike was already on the floor so they had the pre delivery inspection done within about an hour after I had chosen which one of their three XC's I was going to be taking home that day. I rode the 80+ miles home and started pouring over my new baby. Found the tire pressures in the low 20's, improper clutch adjustment, loose mirror, both side covers hanging on by only two posts, one of the saddlebags hanging on by only one pin, and a few other items. I brought it back the next day, explained the problems I had found, and insisted they re-do the PDI on my bike. They told me that I would have to leave it and that I would get it back in about two weeks. Needless to say they they have not seen any repeat business from me. Sad how quickly the service department can sour an excellent sales department experience.

I should mention however that two days later I called Ness' shop for my 500 mile service. They had me in and out the next morning!

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Nice story and nice shop.

My brother's Victory Shop (Greg Coen Motor Company) in Springfield, Oregon also puts travelers ahead of the locals. He will even let the travelers change their own oil (if they want to) in the back of the shop.
He has been building and repairing Harley's for over 20 years and now Victory's.

That's the way it should be .. When someone is traveling they don't have the luxury of being close to home where an extra day is not that critical .. Used to be the Code for all Bike Shops .. Word gets around quick for a shop that follows this and will get plenty of transient business from other Riders .. My Indy in Lake City FL is Swamped during Bike Week and Biketoberfest just from Riders that know his Rep ..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts