Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I already voiced concern on the wearing of floorboards on my Cross Roads. Now I am contemplating purchasing the victory police floorboard skids.

Has anyone used them before?
If so, how easy was the install?
How much protection did they really afford? By that I mean were they any thinker than the stock boards?

If anyone is wondering about the skid plate I am talking about here is the link to it. http://victorypolicemotorcycles.com/products.html

I think some of my issue may be that this is my first cruiser. Before this all I had ridden were sport bikes. I may be a little to riding in a aggressive style.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
What the heck!!! I can't even "find" the floor board on the XC.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before it comes up, yes I have put air into the shock. When I first got the bike I ran it with zero pressure as I am only 200 lbs. Then I decided to pump it up and see the difference. There is a difference and it gives me a bit more lean angle, which is great, but I am still scraping the boards bad. I am currently running 60 psi in the shock.

Quick funny story here. this last weekend I rode down from Knoxville to Dahloega ga with my wife to see here parents and do some riding. On our way back we crossed some railroad tracks with a raher large bump at the near end and I sewar we caught some air. It feels a little weird jumping a 800 lbs bike with passenger compared to jumping dirt bikes froma few years ago.

·
13,026 Posts
Why not take your boards off and find a garage that will weld some thick steel to the boards.
Save money instead of spending money

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. Adding a layer o steel may be a cheaper option. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Those victory police motorcycle skids look like a good deal for $65. I will probably order a pair myself as I've already replaced one side of my black boards (2011) and now the other side is scraped up too.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
True. Adding a layer o steel may be a cheaper option. I'll have to look into that.
But then adding a set of rollers would save the steel in the long run. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So I already voiced concern on the wearing of floorboards on my Cross Roads. Now I am contemplating purchasing the victory police floorboard skids.

How much protection did they really afford? By that I mean were they any thinker than the stock boards?

If anyone is wondering about the skid plate I am talking about here is the link to it. http://victorypolicemotorcycles.com/products.html

I think some of my issue may be that this is my first cruiser. Before this all I had ridden were sport bikes. I may be a little to riding in a aggressive style.
Just continue to scrape off that annoying metal. Eventually, you will get it out of your way. Be careful though as these boards fold up very little when surfing them and I've felt the rear lighten up as it was getting levered off the ground.

Think of the board as your knee slider. When you deck it, it's an indication that you're approaching the bike's limitations and it's time to modify your speed accordingly.

Anyway, you gotta admit that for a cruiser, this thing is a barrel of friggin monkeys and given how comfy it is getting to the good roads, and the low maintenance, great passenger accommodations, and luggage, I can't think of a more practical bike available. And to top if off they purdy too.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saddlebag,

You are very right; this bike does hanlde like a dream. I never thought that a cruiser, especially one this big, would handle anywhere near as nicley as this one does.

Your photo made me think that I actually need to remember when I go to US129 to look up the corner photos. It would be nice to get soe great action shots like yours!thumb up

Over all the bike is great and it attracts much less attention from the boys in blue.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Saddlebag,

You are very right; this bike does hanlde like a dream. I never thought that a cruiser, especially one this big, would handle anywhere near as nicley as this one does.

Your photo made me think that I actually need to remember when I go to US129 to look up the corner photos. It would be nice to get soe great action shots like yours!thumb up

Over all the bike is great and it attracts much less attention from the boys in blue.

I cant wait to get back to the Dragon now that I have my XC!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
11 days and I hope to be there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have the police skids they bolt on using one stock hole u drill 2 holes their I believe 1/4 inch steel and should definatley save life on the boards

·
Registered
790 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just take a sander to those and are trolling....:-0

I've dropped mine 2 inches and haven't hit yet! But then I've only gone down in parking lots :)

Congrats on your bravery!

·
13,026 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts

Garion,

It's been about a year since your post. What did you ultimately decide to do? I've been looking at the skid plates for a few weeks.

Thanks,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Since this has been resurfaced I would hope you went with the boards. I had a footpeg low side me after catching a large crack in the pavement one time up at Palomar on my ZX-10R/ In my thoughts the $65 would be worth the insurance. Interested in your solution.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts