Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im new to this forum and registered just to get some info...

I have a buddy who bought a Cross Country, has less than 600 miles on it and was just about to go in for his first service. He had a mishap today his check engine light came on while we were riding...stopped checked the bike out and everything seemed to be fine....then this happened. We pulled out of a gas station and immediately the bike started smoking BAD....and i mean BAD....he pulled off on the curb and i parked my scoot in the gas station...then i heard someone yell out fire....Under the bike was flamming.....ran got a fire extinguisher from the gas station and put it out...no rhyme or reason why the bike did it...im suspecting an electrical issue...

Does anyone know of any issues with electrical probs with victory?...what would be his recourse if he wants to tell victory to keep it and refund it....the bike is so new....i cant see him having any faith in that bike if it was once a potential bomb....i doubt the insurance company would total it....the bike suffered more damage when he decided finaly to get off the bike and laid it down....

i will come clean and say i am not a victory fan (old school harley guy) i have never seen this happen before to any bike....I think victory should keep the bike and refund his money....

In no way was this his fault...

*** UPDATE..... VIctory is replacing the whole bike for him....and they threw in over 2K worth of accessories way to go VIC!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Never heard of this at all. Sound like something went crazy. I know of a few people that have thousands of miles on their XC and no problems at all. I've never heard of it period with a Victory.

I would tell him to take it back to the dealer and see what they say. A refund is highly doubtful but a replacement may be the offer. This doesn't sound like an insurance issue. This could also be the fault of the dealer. They may not have set up and prepped the bike correctly.

I don't understand the point of you making your coming clean statement. Thats fine if you're not a fan.

I personally have seen this happen to bikes before but ONLY HD's. I've seen them catch fire, I've seen them blowup. Go to enough motorcycle gatherings and its inevitable.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I was thinking about this. Was there a gas smell when the check engine light came on? I'm wondering if a gas line came loose. There is NOTHING under the bike to catch fire. SOunds like the gas line.

·
Registered
45 Posts
gas overflow goes to the bottom of the bike. that is the only thing down there. In fact there are no wires down there. Never ever heard of a Vic catching on fire.

·
Registered
301 Posts
NANEYA
I sure hope your frind gets it worked out for a replacement, because i would be pissed off bad my self to if that hapend to me
best of luck man!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
He has posted this story in other threads, talking about Vic bad reliabilty. Most that know these bikes are calling BS.

·
Registered
301 Posts
He has posted this story in other threads, talking about Vic bad reliabilty. Most that know these bikes are calling BS.

you know, sometimes we may have a small problem, but 99 % of the time just FUEL IT

·
Registered
301 Posts
check out this new statement!!ant it cool

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Victory Quality

I've read the article about XC fire. Sounds like BS. I've ridden for over 40 years, many different makes and models and have never heard of, or seen, anything like that. Bikes just don't flame up by themselves. Maybe Noneya just missed his bikes site.
That all being said, I do love my new XC. Handles and looks great!
Unfortunately that same can't be said for Non-Customer Service.
Just got off the phone with a gentleman who knew NOTHING about motorcycles. I asked him if Vic was developing a top trunk for the XC or saddlebag guards and after placing me on hold, he returned to the line to say "I can't find anything." Wow! I couldn't find anything either, that's why I called you. I suggested that Polaris and Victory split and let Victory at least be ran by motorcyclists. I also pointed out that after numerious hours of work on trying to get a Back-Off unit to work on my XC, my mechanic said it just wouldn't work because it would keep shutting off the cruise control (the cruise control is made to disengage if a brake light goes out). The gentleman said "a what?". Instead of trying to explain, I just said have a nice day and hung up.
With such a great bike, many individuals get turned off to hear about the non-responsive customer service. What a bummer to speak with someone who knows less than I do. The Non-Customer Service agent did type up a message to send to the Bat Cave (the place that may know what's going on, but that we can't get to from here) letting them know the problems, questions and concerns I have. I told him that if I had their, the Bat Cave's, e-mail address, I could do that myself and he wouldn't have a job.
Anyway, love the bike; hate the non-service.
By-the-way. For those of you who may want to outfit your XC ride with a top trunk, try Corbin. They have a stylish unit that doesn't look like a box. Sorry Vic, but don't know if you're going to have one or not. You might what to call Non-Customer Service to find out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry to hear this, however anything mechanical , can break, check out the flat bed tow trucks, youll see new [ paper plate new ] mercedes, bmw, range rovers, bentleys, corvettes, harleys, ducatis,
you name it, all break , i know not very comforting at this time,
however vics in my opinion are bullet proof, but theres allways the exception.... it can be fixed... good as new !

steve

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Just an FYI...Victory is coming out with a trunk. Its supposed to be by June.

Check out Kewlmetal.com. Joe is working on a luggagerack/slash trunk mount for the X bikes.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here is a link to the same post from the other site....

http://hdforums.com/forum/off-topic/475148-another-reason-why-i-wont-own-a-victory.html

I don't know what could make the bike "smoke real bad"...then catch fire underneath. I guess it is possible something may have shorted out causing a harness to melt down. I would think a fuse or breaker would have tripped/blown before that could happen though.

I had asked the OP to update the thread when his buddy has contacted the dealer and or Victory. Assuming this story is credible, it only makes sense for Victory to jump on the opportunity to examine this bike to determine if there may be a problem that may exist in assembly or even at the dealer level. It could be something as simple as a styrofoam cup melted to the exhaust.

Tech23

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
More than likely it was gas that he either spilled or the gas line leaked/came loose.

I've read the article about CC fire. Sounds like BS. I've ridden for over 40 years, many different makes and models and have never heard of, or seen, anything like that. Bikes just don't flame up by themselves. Maybe Noneya just missed his bikes site.
That all being said, I do love my new CC. Handles and looks great!
Just got off the phone with a gentleman who knew NOTHING about motorcycles. I asked him if Vic was developing a top trunk for the CC or saddlebag guards and after placing me on hold, he returned to the line to say "I can't find anything." Wow! I couldn't find anything either, that's why I called you. I suggested that Polaris and Victory split and let Victory at least be ran by motorcyclists. I also pointed out that after numerious hours of work on trying to get a Back-Off unit to work on my CC, my mechanic said it just wouldn't work because it would keep shutting off the cruise control (the cruise control is made to disengage if a brake light goes out). The gentleman said "a what?". Instead of trying to explain, I just said have a nice day and hung up.
With such a great bike, many individuals get turned off to hear about the non-responsive customer service. What a bummer to speak with someone who knows less than I do. The Non-Customer Service agent did type up a message to send to the Bat Cave (the place that may know what's going on, but that we can't get to from here) letting them know the problems, questions and concerns I have. I told him that if I had their, the Bat Cave's, e-mail address, I could do that myself and he wouldn't have a job.
By-the-way. For those of you who may want to outfit your CC ride with a top trunk, try Corbin. They have a stylish unit that doesn't look like a box. Sorry Vic, but don't know if you're going to have one or not. You might what to call Non-Customer Service to find out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
CC Trunk

Diamondrmp, when do you think Vic is going to let us in on this info? A concept picture would be nice from the Bat Cave. This info needs to get out to us owners; otherwise, we'll look elsewhere. This is just wrong!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Vic Trunk

Thanks for the pics. Trunk doesn't look bad, but I think they could have done better. Too bad they didn't have it ready for distribution prior to bike release. I still feel Corbin has a better looking trunk. Still no saddlebag guards. What say you?

·
Registered
301 Posts
tech23
thanks for the hd form attachment page i checked it out and was inpresed on the remarks from those guys, it was cool to see the respect **** happens to all some times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've read the article about CC fire. Sounds like BS. I've ridden for over 40 years, many different makes and models and have never heard of, or seen, anything like that. Bikes just don't flame up by themselves. Maybe Noneya just missed his bikes site.
That all being said, I do love my new CC. Handles and looks great!
Just got off the phone with a gentleman who knew NOTHING about motorcycles. I asked him if Vic was developing a top trunk for the CC or saddlebag guards and after placing me on hold, he returned to the line to say "I can't find anything." Wow! I couldn't find anything either, that's why I called you. I suggested that Polaris and Victory split and let Victory at least be ran by motorcyclists. I also pointed out that after numerious hours of work on trying to get a Back-Off unit to work on my CC, my mechanic said it just wouldn't work because it would keep shutting off the cruise control (the cruise control is made to disengage if a brake light goes out). The gentleman said "a what?". Instead of trying to explain, I just said have a nice day and hung up.
By-the-way. For those of you who may want to outfit your CC ride with a top trunk, try Corbin. They have a stylish unit that doesn't look like a box. Sorry Vic, but don't know if you're going to have one or not. You might what to call Non-Customer Service to find out.
The trunk is not yet released but it is completed. It looks great. It has a tail light and 2 extra speakers. The unit is a true quick release and with the yet to be released hard lowers that fit in the engine gaurds the bike boasts 39 gallons of total storage. Corbin makes nice stuff but it way too expensive. In fact they have a nice set up for the kingpin but most guys that want a Vic bagger and have a pin are trading them in for the XC rather than the Corbin set up.

We are hoping the trunk and lowers will be released mid season. I have pics but don't know if I can download them here. Maybe Diamond will. As for calling Victory help...save yourself time just post your question here or on thevmc.com and you will get your answer back in spades.

Rest assured though...There will be plenty of add ons available for your XC. One other thing, Victory build bikes in the early years that they called the sport cuiser and the custom cruiser or SC and CC. If you refer to your bike as a CC it might get confused as the earlier bike which might render bad info. Just trying to help

1 - 20 of 47 Posts