Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I did a search and came up empty handed.

The new Vic's call for their semi-synth oil of which there are many alternatives but do you long time Vic owners know which one is preferred?

Sure; I can pay the $65 for the Vic oil change kit every 2500 miles but logic dictates I find a more affordable alternative. I don't want to sacrifice quality though.

On HD's the Mobil 1 V-Twin is fantastic for engine and primary oil but Redline Shockproof is the best for the trans. Those are straight synth though and will cause clutch slippage in my Vic.

Since the Vic engine is an all-in-one system the oil needs to be changed twice as often but is also three times as easy. I think I read something about the 2011's having another kind of clutch of some kind so the oil doesn't need to be changed until 5k miles but that is another question for another thread.

Yeah, I know, another oil thread. Still looking for an answer though.

Is there a Rotella semi-synth that's ok for use in the Vic engine's or some other high quality oil?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a good idea BBob. I used Victory oil and filter on my XC through the second service. I then changed to Rotella T6 and wix filter. Seems to run a little cooler, less valve/cam chatter when cold, and no clutch slippage. Shifts a bit easier and sixth gear is definitely quieter (still not happy with that though). I am going to make a couple hundred mile run in a few days and let you know how everything goes. Good luck with your poll. PHIL

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Kevin may not chime in on this because I'm sure he is tired of debating it.

However I will give my opinion that mirrors Kevin's.

Victory oil is blended SPECIFICALLY for the Victory engine to assist with the lube of the tranny and cooling of the engine.

In a pinch as like right now I will use the Rotella Semi Synthetic. Being on UI I just didn't have the $$$ for the Vic oil this last time around BUT I will be putting Vic oil in before my trip to Prescott AZ the end of September. I have the reusable filter from Conquest Customs.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much Diamond and Mad Dog. That's pretty much what I was looking for and I apologize for making this another one of "those" threads.

So I'll get the Vic oil and filter when I can but in a pinch I can get the Rotella T6 and a Wix filter. Any idea what Wix filter number I'll need?

Can I run the Wix filters all the time safely or are the Vic filters a superior product? Is there much of a price difference? Does anyone know what the micron number needed for Vic's is?

I think the cleanable and reusable filters wouldn't work for the HD's as they need a 5 micron filter and they will only go as low as 20 microns if I remember right. I know this because I wanted to do it a year or so ago and learned I couldn't (safely) use them on the HD's.

Thanks again. This info is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I have been hearing alot on oil here. When I got back from Sturgis I changed mine to Amsoil 20-50 and it is great. My dealer told me to. It is quieter and shifts smooth and no clutch slippage. If any one's clutch slips maybe they need an adjustment or their clutch is bad. I enjoy it more now if only the buffeting problem did not exist.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I have been hearing alot on oil here. When I got back from Sturgis I changed mine to Amsoil 20-50 and it is great. My dealer told me to. It is quieter and shifts smooth and no clutch slippage. If any one's clutch slips maybe they need an adjustment or their clutch is bad. I enjoy it more now if only the buffeting problem did not exist.
About to do the same, my dealer told me to change also. Didn't have an answer for the buffeting though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The buffeting solution is fairly straightforward.

Gotta find the right windshield for your bike.

The recurve windshields do much better than the standard ones IMHO.
Raising the windshield helps some, I'm 6'2" so I may have to live with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good Morning
In the next few days I am going to try to spend a bit of time on this forum, hopefully with a bit of in-sight on the OIL question. My primary job while serving in the military (for many years) was "Nuclear electronics quality control superintendent" and "ground safety officer". Though my primary concern was with electronics in a nuclear environment, I frequently came across evaluations of various oils and mechanical devices, i.e. gearboxes or transmissions and clutches (No, not for motorcycles).
With that said, I agree with BBob on the recurve, or "laminar lip" requirement to reduce buffeting on the Cross Country. Before I bought my 15" Cee Bailey shield two months ago, I searched the internet for anyone making laminar lip shields for the XC. Last week I came across two laminar "recurve top" shields, one of which is being offered by---none other than---PURE VICTORY. It doesn't use the extra reinforcing struts like the other optional shield (at about $350) and is priced very competitively at about $175. I may purchase that one to use on my longer trips and use my straight 15 inch Cee Bailey for my daily use. (Maybe next time I'll use the appropriate thread---Sorry Diamond!! As always, keep the shiny side up!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
SYNS are ok but cost more than they are worth, try some good old desal oil like phillups heave dudy seris 11 or cat oil or chevron they all have a high temp. brack down and alot cleaning agents in them you are all buying into a sales thing aGAIN go take the time and talk too a good oil sales reap BIGDENNY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rotella T6 Synthetic

Since the owner's manual call for a Semi-Synthetic 20W-40 motor oil is it okay to use the Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40?

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since the owner's manual call for a Semi-Synthetic 20W-40 motor oil is it okay to use the Rotella Full Synthetic 5W-40?
I would blend it with the Rotella standard dino oil. Either syn/dino of 30/70 or 50/50. Just my opinion so you might want to read up on some of the oil threads and make your own.

I've read on these forum's that a lot of guys won't put straight synthetic in because they believe it to be hard on the clutch and then other claim to run straight syn with no problems.

In the end you just need to make up your mind for yourself. You also need to decide how many miles between oil changes as the 2500 mile change was most likely a bit overly cautious.

Personally; I'm going to change it somewhere between 3500 and 4000 if I don't have any trouble finding neutral. If I were smart I'd sent a sample of the old oil to be analyzed to see if I waited too long or could have gone longer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am currently using Rotella but thinking of switching to brad penn motorcycle oil, it is a semi synthetic. They list it is all right for vics

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am currently using Rotella but thinking of switching to brad penn motorcycle oil, it is a semi synthetic. They list it is all right for vics
Check out AMSOIL . I recommend MCF Motorcycle Specific 10W-40 which hasa JASO MA2 Rating, the highest clutch performance rating available.

I also have a less expensive Semi-Synthetic 15W-40 with the proper API Ratings.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see they now have 10w/40w Valvoline dino oil for bikes and the 10w/40w Synth oil for bikes available at Autozone and Walmart. I figure I'll put in 2 quarts synth and the rest dino with the Valvoline. I think I'll use the Supertech filter again. Seems to work fine so far. Might look for a wix though...

Here's a list plagiarized from another forum.

Some numbers for you. This list comes from other sites, but all that I have tried have fit...

These Oil Filters have 20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket 2.5" to 3.5" long. If you have the room, the longer filters are recommended.

Motorcycle Filters.
•AC Delco PF2135
•AMSOil SMF103
•Carquest 85358
•AC Delco PF2135
•FRAM PH6017A
•Honda 15410-MCJ-000
•K&N KN-204. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
•NAPA Gold 1358
•Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
•STP SMO 17
•WIX 51358

Recommended filters.
All have superior filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.
•Purolator Pure One PL14612.
•Mobil M1-108. Made by Champion.
•Bosch 3300. Made by Champion.
•Wal-Mart SuperTech ST6607. Made by Champion.

About 3.25 inches long.
•Purolator Pure One PL14610.
•Mobil 1 M1-110. Made by Champion.
•Bosch 3323. Made By Champion.
•WalMart SuperTech ST7317. Made by Champion.

Automobile Filters, about 2.5 inches long.
•AC Delco PF1237
•Baldwin B1400
•Firestone TF2876
•Hastings LF113
•NAPA Gold 1365
•Purolator L14612
•STP S-02876
•WalMart SuperTech ST6607
•WIX 51365

Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long.
•AC Delco PF-2057
•Auto Pro 2356
•Autopride CF240AP
•Baldwin B1402
•Carquest 85356
•Carquest Red B4620
•Casite CF240
•Castrol 7317
•Champion Labs Ph2867
•Defense Filters Dl7317
•Deutsch D-370
•Federated Filters LF240F

Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long.
•Fram Double Guard DG7317
•Fram PH7317
•Fram Tough Guard TG7317
•Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
•Group 7 V4610
•Group 7 V4620
•Hastings LF240
•Mighty M4612
•Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
•Napa FIL1356
•Napa Gold 1356
•Parts Plus PH2867