Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's play consumer reports.
Wife and I both bought stage 1 downloads and Victory performance air filters when we first bought our X bikes. ( cross country, cross roads)
The filters failed shortly, less than a year.
I'm wondering how many others had the same experience. If you owned one please take a moment to pick which of the two choices sums up your experience with it.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I don't know how to answer as I had a Vic HP air filter for a while, but replaced it with a Lloydz before there was any sign of a failure. You need to add a question relative to that scenario.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
And steel frame cruisers
Ditched my stock filter first for Ness Ram then upped the ante to Lloydz Torque Tubes.
Happy now:devil
Can't vote cos neither option is relevant to me.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know how to answer as I had a Vic HP air filter for a while, but replaced it with a Lloydz before there was any sign of a failure. You need to add a question relative to that scenario.
Can't get back into the poll to edit it. I tried.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are the Victory stage 1 air filter made by K&N? On my KP I run a K&N and it's going strong as far as I know.
No, wish they were. They are a extremely poor copy. At least the two I bought. Someone completely blew it when they picked the gauze for the filter and the rubber for the gasket. The gauze on ours pulled away and perferated at any sharp bends. Both ours looked like swiss cheese when held to the light in 6000 miles. They were letting dirt to the size of the screen right through at all those holes. I was not impressed especially since I was running the bikes on dirt roads in WA and the dusty desert in AZ.

Rubber gaskets swelled and softened when you used K&N filter oil on them. They look good coming out of the box but were Chinese junk. Maybe I got the only bad batch? That's what I am trying to find out with the poll.

Everyone lets some junk get through sometimes. I'm curious how others faired with theirs.

My dream is that someday all Chinese auto industry workers will someday own cars.....

Then maybe they will understand what those parts they are making are for and throw the bad ones in the scrap barrel and only ship the good ones to us here. :smile

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Polaris K&N knock off is fine but I oiled it up with Air Filter oil before installing it.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
No, wish they were. They are a extremely poor copy. At least the two I bought. Someone completely blew it when they picked the gauze for the filter and the rubber for the gasket. The gauze on ours pulled away and perferated at any sharp bends. Both ours looked like swiss cheese when held to the light in 6000 miles. They were letting dirt to the size of the screen right through at all those holes. I was not impressed especially since I was running the bikes on dirt roads in WA and the dusty desert in AZ.

Rubber gaskets swelled and softened when you used K&N filter oil on them. They look good coming out of the box but were Chinese junk. Maybe I got the only bad batch? That's what I am trying to find out with the poll.

Everyone lets some junk get through sometimes. I'm curious how others faired with theirs.

My dream is that someday all Chinese auto industry workers will someday own cars.....

Then maybe they will understand what those parts they are making are for and throw the bad ones in the scrap barrel and only ship the good ones to us here. :smile
They actually build to order and to a price.
You want a two dollar crankshaft or a 200 dollar crank?
Where do you think Scat cranks come from.
Chinese are doing copy 351 Cleveland blocks now.
Holley carbs and fuel pumps the list goes on

·
Registered
350 Posts
I ran the OEM filter for about 8500 miles before I did the Stage I with with Vic performance air filter and TriOval exhaust. I don't have the literature at my finger tips, but based on memory the performance filter still required cleaning at regular intervals (5000 miles??) I didn't want to screw around with cleaning the filter on such short service intervals. After reading about "Joe's" history with Vic's performance filters I, after only 850 miles, opted to go with Lloydz air filter, along with a PCV fuel controller and dyno tune. Theory has it that Vic's performance filter will filter more effectively the dirtier it gets. Once I compared the performance filter to the OEM it left me scratching my head. And the performance filter requires more frequent service intervals. The Lloydz air filter combined with the dyno tune cost me two mpg, but the engine runs noticeably cooler. I noticed a seat of the pants difference in engine temp after only a few short miles after the dyno tune.

Pix attached; Held up to the sun on a clear day:
on the right - OEM filter after 8500 miles.
on the left - Performance filter after 850 miles.

Attachments

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
371 Posts
maybe i am wrong but isnt the fliter on the left to open.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe i am wrong but isnt the fliter on the left to open.
I don't believe you are wrong. That is the poor quality of gauze I was referring to in your thread. You can see that this filter isn't going to do much filtering.

If you take the time to read this: https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/filter_facts.aspx It will answer your questions about re cleanable air filters as well as oem filters. How they work etc.
K&N invented this type of filter and is the leader in the technology.

Running a filter like the one in the picture or the ones I received leads to a shortened engine life. It's pretty much wide open and will let fine dirt through as shown in sheets picture.
Thanks Sheets for posting that. The problem is compounded if you run the oil in the bike to the recommended oil change interval,(5000 mile?) and insist on cleaning the filter each time if you read that faq you will understand why. There really is no good way to run a filter that is that poorly constructed. That's why mine were taken out of the bikes as soon as I realized the issue.

Whatever filter you decide to use I recommend you buy a tube of this sealing grease and lend it to the mechanic that installs the filter.
https://www.amazon.com/99-0704-Sealing-Grease-oz/dp/B000BR51SI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504151323&sr=8-1&keywords=K&N+filter+grease That is a non petroleum wax based grease that is designed to insure a complete seal on reusable filter. Because it is not Petroleum based it does not affect the victory filter gaskets and make them swell. Just never try and use it as a lubricating grease. It was specially developed by K&N to seal filters on off road vehicles. Doesn't contain anything you would consider a lubricant. It works well with the stock filter I now run in the wife's bike as well as the LLoydz I run in mine.

What got me started looking at the Victory performance oil filter was when I had the oil analyzed after the second oil change on both our bikes. The reports came back saying I had air bypassing the air filter. When I went looking I found that both of our frames were such that indeed a small amount of dust was being drawn in around the air filter gaskets. This I fixed by building up a depression at the casting parting line on both frames with shoe goo and smoothing it off. I then began using the K&N grease to be sure that I had a good seal.
The other problem I found was the Victory performance filter now more of rock screen than a depth filter. I have to admit I did feel ripped off but I was very glad that I had my oil analyzed sooner than later.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i just looked cleanly through the air filter that came off the bike, a supposed stage 1 and holy ****. let there be to much dam light. hopefully the loyds hi flo is better than the old one. no i dont have the stock to reuse.

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
i just looked cleanly through the air filter that came off the bike, a supposed stage 1 and holy ****. let there be to much dam light. hopefully the loyds hi flo is better than the old one. no i dont have the stock to reuse.
The Lloydz is at least as good as K&N. Not inexpensive but not cheaply made either.

You might want to order up some of that sealant grease Joe provided a link to. I am.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i forgot about the grease i had for my trucks k&n.

·
13,262 Posts
If you don't know K&N does not make a air filter for any of the cross bikes.
It does make them for the steel frame bikes that use a flat air filter

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
If you don't know K&N does not make a air filter for any of the cross bikes.
It does make them for the steel frame bikes that use a flat air filter
A bunch of us used a modified (cut to fit) steel frame K&N filter until the Lloydz came out. It worked good but I'm pretty sure it allowed air to get by the seals even with tape. The K&N sealant grease could have helped with that I bet.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Now I have to go and look see after all this back and forth about filters... LOL.. :^)

·
13,262 Posts
SemperVee

I see your signature list all of what you have done to your bike.
But you don't say what model bike you have

·
Registered
325 Posts
SemperVee

I see your signature list all of what you have done to your bike.
But you don't say what model bike you have
VroomHilda is a 12 CCT. Now in signature line.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts