Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was dead earlier (see earlier post), changed the battery and it was running great.
Then it sat for 2 weeks as I was out of town, I connected the charger overnight on retun and batery was showing flat 12V on meter.
Then I started the bike, left it on idle for a few min, then I took off down the road. First stop sign, as I came to stop the bike stalled. siwtched it on and off a couple of times no FF priming sound. Then it started again. But as soon as I enagged and started to move, it stalled.
Same thing all over again. When it stalls, need to switch it on-off a couple of time before it primes. Then as I start to engage and move, it stalls again. As it happens I can hear the engine starting to stall, but giving more gas does not help.
Anybody had similar experience or any thoghts on this?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
1.) Check if battery connections are tight.

2.) If battery connections are tight, you might have a fuel pump on its last legs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine suddenly quits

I have the same problem Kountry boy is having. I'll be riding along 70 mph when suddenly the engine quits just like someone reached up and hit the kill switch. While still rolling, I can rock the kill switch back and forth a couple of times and the engine will start again! (probably not the safest procedure, but it works) I went as far as disassembling the switch thinking it was dirty but all checked okay, The inside of the switch looked new. My bike is 2003 touring cruiser, always been garaged. I live in Tulsa Ok. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
470 Posts
were you using a digital meter? a good 12v battery will show over 12 volts. try putting the meter on the battery and hitting the start button. if it drops to nearly nothing you have a shorted battery.just because it shows good when not under load doesn'r matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ridealittle: Thanks, The battery is brand new. I will check it for a short as you suggested.
Crossroads: You may be right, it sounds like a FP. When it dies, and I shut off and start again, it doesn't prime right away. Takes a couple of tries. So you may be right.
Is there a way to check FP and where can I buy one?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ridealittle: Thanks, The battery is brand new. I will check it for a short as you suggested.
Crossroads: You may be right, it sounds like a FP. When it dies, and I shut off and start again, it doesn't prime right away. Takes a couple of tries. So you may be right.
Is there a way to check FP and where can I buy one?
Make sure you allow some 10 seconds (rough guess) between attempts to cycle the fuel pump. If you flip the switch on and off too soon it won't cycle again.

If you think the fuel pump is going belly up, you can rent a pressure gauge from local auto parts store, and hook it up to the fitting to see if the pump works.

If the fuel pump is dead, visit this site: http://thevicshop.com/ - they are the cheapest path of travel to get your fuel pump back running.

·
13,043 Posts
It would be nice if you added your year and model of bike all so where you live.
This will help you and us to help you thumb up

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds to me like your kill switch is mucked up.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

·
Registered
7 Posts
Engine suddenly quits

Took the thing by Cruisin 66 while in Springfield a couple of weeks ago. They also said the switch looked good. Weird huh? I'm wondering if it's a short in the wiring?

·
Registered
63 Posts
if it were wiring, it would actually be an intermittent open. If you have a multimeter, it would be a good idea to check the wiring. For the symptom you are having, it either has to be the kill switch, relay, or possibly something with the tip sensor malfunctioning. From your description I assume that the lights etc are coming on when turning the key on. so it wouldn't be the battery, nor would the battery explain why it's stalling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
engine suddenly stalls

When I turn the key on the lights come on. After it stalls, the lights are still on. Don't think it's the battery. (all connections are tight) Guess I'll start checking the wiring. By the way, what is the "tip sensor" ?? Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
When I turn the key on the lights come on. After it stalls, the lights are still on. Don't think it's the battery. (all connections are tight) Guess I'll start checking the wiring. By the way, what is the "tip sensor" ?? Thanks!
If the current is interrupted for a split of a second (due to vibrations), the light will barely flicker, but the ECM will say "no juice, I'm shutting down!" - so you can't use the headlight being on as an indicator.

Do a load test on the battery. You want eliminate the battery off the list, as it usually turns out to be the prime suspect in cases like this.

By the way, how old is the battery?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am betting on old, bad battery. Learned one thing about Victory they do not like it when the battery is low. Sputtering, stalling are 2 of the common effects of a bad battery or bad battery connection. What is the reading on the battery while bike is running?

·
Registered
470 Posts
i think he's talking about the tip over sensor.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The Alt meter on the bike reads between 14.1 - 14.2 while running. Don't know if this helps or not? Thanks!
All that tells us is that your voltage regulator is working fine. Does not tell us anything about your battery.

...By the way, how old is the battery?
I hate to sound like a broken record, but how old is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Stalling

I have had recurring stalling problems with my 2012 XCT since I purchased it in March. Arlen's staff have worked diligently on solving this situation. Last month, they called myself and 3 other owners in that have also had this problem and they brought in a group of factory reps to get to the bottom of it. What's so far been discovered is that there may be some EFI tuning issues on california legal engines, in which the injectors may be shutting down at low rpms. There are also speculations that there may be a circuit breaker problem also. They replaced the breaker in my bike this week so we shall see.

I suggest that if you are having stalling problems, return to your dealer and insist that they call the factory and report the problem and get someone out to investigate right away. This is your safety at risk here and you have a right to ride a safe bike.

KennyD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just a thought... Maybe there is something with the wiring for the kickstand safety switch or the clutch switch? If the bike is stalling while in gear and wont start again, maybe the switches are intermittantly killing it?

You didnt say if it would crank and not start or if you get nothing when hitting the starter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts