1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
427 Posts
You don't need to clean the newer throttle bodies. I think it's 2008-up they changed design so it's no longer required.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
You don't need to clean the newer throttle bodies. I think it's 2008-up they changed design so it's no longer required.
I cleaned it on my 2010 when I had the old airbox cut off.
There was a bit of darkening here and there that I removed with carby cleaner and a clean rag.
It was squeaky clean then...seems silly not to clean it up while its pulled down.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Look at VisionJohnny's post. That WD video tells you all about how to clean a throttle body in the older bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I installed the TT then I only cleaned the throttle-body not the connecting tubed that were dirty, as the valves are down there and did not want any dust or rag piece falling in there.....

only 5 K on the counter I did not see the point of cleaning "inside" it but I would imagine after a few years I will when I take off the tank for some reason.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
When I installed the TT then I only cleaned the throttle-body not the connecting tubed that were dirty, as the valves are down there and did not want any dust or rag piece falling in there.....

only 5 K on the counter I did not see the point of cleaning "inside" it but I would imagine after a few years I will when I take off the tank for some reason.
Cleaning the throttle body is fine BP6666VR, I wouldn't go any deeper into the inlet manifold either, just keep running on good clean fuel of the required octane, now you've got the TTI the only foreseeable reason to remove your tank is for fuel filter replacement a long way down the track at 30,000 miles I think they recommend?
sheeet Im only 7000 miles off that now!

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cleaning the throttle body is fine BP6666VR, I wouldn't go any deeper into the inlet manifold either, just keep running on good clean fuel of the required octane, now you've got the TTI the only foreseeable reason to remove your tank is for fuel filter replacement a long way down the track at 30,000 miles I think they recommend?
sheeet Im only 7000 miles off that now!
That is what worries me the most "Motorbikerx" the fuel we are having is terrible.... I ran old landcruizers here on the island for mud-offroading and I had to change filters all the time, about 3 inline as 1 filter was not enough to remove dirt and water, ps 1 day in the jungle was about 80 Liters of fuel

For the Victory's we buy the most expensive fuel available and still I wonder if the filter would be blocked sooner then later.... I was even looking at JP websites for the future to remove the VIC-filter and just run external filters inline so i can see the dirt and or water that is captured into the glass inline fuel filters ...... any better ideas of bikers out there?? so the recommended changing of filters made me laugh what I read the manual purchasing the bike.

Not even to mention Octane... and our Victory's ride average on 1 liter = 14 Km so guessing the octane is not that high if even any available in the petrol we run?

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
That is what worries me the most "Motorbikerx" the fuel we are having is terrible.... I ran old landcruizers here on the island for mud-offroading and I had to change filters all the time, about 3 inline as 1 filter was not enough to remove dirt and water, ps 1 day in the jungle was about 80 Liters of fuel

For the Victory's we buy the most expensive fuel available and still I wonder if the filter would be blocked sooner then later.... I was even looking at JP websites for the future to remove the VIC-filter and just run external filters inline so i can see the dirt and or water that is captured into the glass inline fuel filters ...... any better ideas of bikers out there?? so the recommended changing of filters made me laugh what I read the manual purchasing the bike.

Not even to mention Octane... and our Victory's ride average on 1 liter = 14 Km so guessing the octane is not that high if even any available in the petrol we run?
thats not a good state of affairs over there mate if you can't get good clean fuel of a decent octane.
Can you access any avgas at all?
our fuel filters are inside the tank and when they get blocked they stress out the fuel pump as it has to work harder to try and suck fuel through dirty filters.
I suppose you could run some form of external filter in the line from the pump to the throttle body but it'd need to be very securely clamped to cope with the fuel pressure, and youre passing the dirt through the workings of the pump by deleting the pre pump filters.
Are you saying you only get 14kms to the litre of fuel?
I average 17-18 kpl and have had a best of 20.9, and an absolute worst of 14 but that was at sustained high speed.
Id suggest you try and filter your fuel before it goes into your bike and add either an octane booster or if you can get it a percentage of Avgas (aviation fuel)

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The highest number I got sins the bike was new =
1: 16.9

most days is 1:14 riding with a bit of power. in the city and most times about 2 minutes 180 Km/h as there are no speed camera's here on the islands.

Full throttle 1 : 12.5

All these numbers were from when the bike was bone stock, not even a timing wheel at that stage, now I still do not know after upgrades what I am running 1:14 with some power riding.... surly approximately the same

I had to Wikipedia = Avgas /// this is very nice information, we have a good size airport over here and i know 2 Harley riders who work there, I will ask the Victory shop to contact them and ask what kind of AVgas they have.... thanks mate

Filtering the fuel before it goes into the tank could only be done if i make a storage tank in my garage with a 5 micron filter and water separator... and that would not improve the Octane . except putting additives in there, like you said.... but that is a lot of work, and smells in my garage.....

PS that is what I did racing the cruisers, putting the expensive fuel and putting 5 pills in there. NICE

You gave me something to think about..... good one

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
The highest number I got sins the bike was new =
1: 16.9

most days is 1:14 riding with a bit of power. in the city and most times about 2 minutes 180 Km/h as there are no speed camera's here on the islands.

Full throttle 1 : 12.5

All these numbers were from when the bike was bone stock, not even a timing wheel at that stage, now I still do not know after upgrades what I am running 1:14 with some power riding.... surly approximately the same

I had to Wikipedia = Avgas /// this is very nice information, we have a good size airport over here and i know 2 Harley riders who work there, I will ask the Victory shop to contact them and ask what kind of AVgas they have.... thanks mate

Filtering the fuel before it goes into the tank could only be done if i make a storage tank in my garage with a 5 micron filter and water separator... and that would not improve the Octane . except putting additives in there, like you said.... but that is a lot of work, and smells in my garage.....

PS that is what I did racing the cruisers, putting the expensive fuel and putting 5 pills in there. NICE

You gave me something to think about..... good one
You could be onto something good there then.
Its the fuel for piston engined planes, its very clean and extra high octane....dont want a fuel problem at 10,000 ft up!
NOT. Jet fuel which is kerosene.
A mate here runs his 720HP. V8 Ford exclusively on it, it runs [email protected] over the 1/4 mile.
He buys it by the 200 litre drum.
Its illegal to use on the street here as its got good old fashioned lead in it.
Someone like HalfCrazy may know more about how our Vic engines would respond to it, it likes plenty of compression I know that.
Ive run some in my own old V8 Ford to try and get my car under its current [email protected], smelt nice but didnt run any quicker.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The real problem running leaded gas in a modern engine is what it will do to your catalytic converter. It won't last long at all. That is why the industry converted to unleaded fuel. Using lead was a cheaper option for the oil companies but would not work in a modern cat engine.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the Octane numbers and compression ratio's from the Island I live on, if that is the truth.... as I stated before i ran 3 filters on my 4x4 to take all the dirt out, but hopefully the fuel quality improved in the last few years

Note, all Lamborghini / Ferrari / etc. buy Octane 100 in Jakarta and is U$D 3.44 per liter = 13 U$D per gallon
:ltr:

Premium (Octane 88) = compression 7:1 until 9:1
Pertamax (Octane 92) = compression 9:1 until 10:1
Pertamax Plus (Octane 95) = compression 10:1 until 11:1

See website for Victory ratios;
http://motorcycles.findthebest.com/l/1304/2013-Victory-Jackpot

Displacement 1731 cc
Compression Ratio 9.4 : 1
Torque 110 FT-LBS

So I always take Pertamax Plus (Octane 95) = compression 10:1 until 11:1 and this should be enough for a Victory.... if the Octane is as they say it is?

Now comes the important part from this site;
This bike has an air-cooled 1731cc V-twin engine. Maximum torque is 110.0 ft-lbs. Fuel injection makes for effortless cold starts and smooth power delivery. The 9.4:1 compression ratio is slightly lower than the average of all 2013 cruisers. A higher compression ratio is desirable because it means an engine can do the same amount of work with less fuel, leading to increased efficiency and power for a given engine size (the only downside is that using low octane fuel can damage the engine). This motor is undersquare, with a cylinder bore and stroke of 101 x 108mm (the stroke, or length, of the cylinder is greater than its bore, or width). Undersquare engines make better torque down low in the rev range, but typically don't produce as much power as an oversquare engine of the same displacement would.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
The real problem running leaded gas in a modern engine is what it will do to your catalytic converter. It won't last long at all. That is why the industry converted to unleaded fuel. Using lead was a cheaper option for the oil companies but would not work in a modern cat engine.
Im not going to go into the real reasons/excuses lead was taken out, Nor am I going to go into the reasonons catalytic converters are now the norm, and mandatory on late model vehicles.
Oldman47 is correct in saying that the lead wrecks the cats.
Sounds to me its a bit like the wild west where you live abd you'd have no worries ripping those cats out and running avgas if you could get a 200 litre drum of it off the Harley guys at the airport, you may find they are running it too.
Its definitly dearer, I'll ask my mate how much he pays for it.
He has to use it as is motor is fully over the top.
For reference Premium Unleaded eqivalent to USAs 91 octane sells here in OZ. For between $1.65-$1.80 a litre, it fluctuates daily. For US gallon price x 3.9 or Can/imp.x 4.5
Thats how many litres in a gallon.
What octane system do they use in Indo?
In OZ our 98 is equivalent to US 91

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are 3 types of Octane registry in the world, see below link half way down the website, most countries are registered

The 3 kind of Octane are;
RON / MON / AKI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

1 Liter of 95 Octane = 1.11 U$D = (3.79 x 1.11) = U$D 4.21
if you compare that with the USA = http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/
So we pay more than in the USA, but there is cheap fuel also, that cost half the price, never used it..... Indonesia is a huge Oil & GAS producing / exporting country....

Do you think in every Victory there will be a catalytic converter??

I like the idea of asking the airport guys if possible to take petrol AVGAS and I will discuss this with the owner of the Vic shop.

I ordered the SWEPT PIPES does anybody know if there are CAT's in aftermarket exhaust's ?? or are there any CAT's in Victory's delivered overseas?? if YES then I will leave them in there? I read on the websites to leave the CAT's where they are as it is difficult to take them out. or you guys have a better idea??

The cats do restrict the exhaust flow quite a bit, so removing them or replacing the exhaust with another set up with no cats will require the fuel mixture be adjusted to compensate for this free flowing exhaust. If the bike is carbed it will require a rejet if the bikes an Fi model it will require your computer be remapped. In my experience simply gutting the stock exhaust of the cats never sounds right and in every case the cust has oped for a aftermarket set up
UNQUOTE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts