Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Sure looks like a less fancy looking Scout engine to me. The question now is what kind of chassis is it going to be in. I guess it will be in a sport bike chassis from what the article said which makes sense. Victory has said it's heading that way. Sure hope they don't forget their roots and abandon the cruiser and touring lines in the process. In fact this same engine in a Gunner would be pretty cool I think. Probably too soon to put it into a Highball though. Maybe later.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Isn't that the pick peaks 156 motor
Yes. It would appear as though Polaris decided, and I can't blame them, the Scout engine with some appearance mods and maybe some limited internal mods would do well in a new sport bike model called the "Octane".

The motor has proven itself now and I think most folks know how expensive it is to design an entirely new motor so using this one makes good sense in my opinion. I rode the Scout and it's a little rocket bone stock. I can imagine a few tweaks here and there would really make it fly.

I'm pretty sure Lloyd has had one in his shop for some time in order to design cams and an intake for it. Maybe an exhaust or two as well.

There really isn't a high production American made sport bike since Buell split up with HD and it had lots of problems. The goal is to make an American sport bike that's reliable and dependable.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Octane is that bike even though I have no interest in owning one. It just makes the motorcycle world that much better IMHO.

Look for it to run at the Bonneville Salt Flats in the future.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Still waiting and wanting a Vision front/X bike rear end combo - that would be a winner IMO. Best of the 2 machines
I like that Vic is going into the sport bike class tho -

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
scout test ride

the "scout" engine was a bit lazy down low but ran well at higher RPM. it would be great in a lighter bike with good suspension + braking thats sorely lacking in the scout. being water cooled it could be easily "tuned up as well!! we will see in Nov it says

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yes, this will be the Octane. It is based on the Scout but will be taller, slightly more powerful and with better suspension. The difference between Victory and Indian? With Indian, the designers win; with Victory, the engineers win. :laugh

Reactions: DHorne

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I have nothing against the Indian Scout at all. It's a very nice motorcycle and my wife wants one. But remove the Indian name on thew tank and put Yamaha on it. IMHO, it would look more in tune with Yamaha's line up. The Scout could easily be a stablemate to the Yamaha Bolt. I just can't see much in it that says Indian except the name on the tank.

Reactions: gdfishwell

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Definitely Interested Here as a Scout Owner of 11,000 Miles Now .. As Already Mentioned Hope to see some Suspension & Brake Improvements before would consider one have upgraded the Suspension on mine .. With the Scouts light weight have not really had any braking problems and done several panic stops in Florida's crazy Blue Haired Cagers Traffic .. Although Would think with what Victory has in mind would be a different Frame , Somewhat Heavier and Better Braking would be needed .. What some Low Torque Runners don't get about the Scout if really want to enjoy performance shoot up the RPM's While it runs like a Charm from 2500-35000 and pretty Quick and Nimble in that Range .. Kick it up to 4500+ and then you are truly having some fun .. :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would like to see Vic come out with a nice "Street Fighter" model... Something in the way of an American made Kawi Z1000 style maybe .

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I love the Scout and haven't even ridden one. When the XC is paid off, I will add one to the stable. Hopefully by then, Lloydz will have had time to work their magic.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was REALLY hoping the Scout was going to be more conventional looking with the Thunderstroke 111 in it. Still hoping for a model like that...

That being said, I haven't looked at purchasing a Scout mainly because of the small tank capacity. Love the styling. At least there are options coming up!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ive ridden a Scout with mufflers and fuelling set up. Very impressive, it's just too small for anyone over about 5'10" . That bike flew from 40 mph to 110 in 4th gear. Put that motor in a Gunner or Hammer and you have a winner.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What ever it is. Victory need to make an earth shattering response on launch. They need to blow the journo's minds away.

They've had enough feedback from current Victory riders to make that situation a reality.

If it's just a Scout with minor styling changes, I think it will create about as much excitement as a airsick bag.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
New bike!

Hopefully they do produce one that has a different frame than the Scout. Also I believe it will have a lot more low end responce. It would be nice if they build a good handling sport bike/standard with options for the sport riders and the long distance everyday riders. But the real biggy will be if they can keep the price down to be competive with all most the other bikes out there now. Most companies including the Indian Scout have bikes that are price way lower than the current Victory lineup.:wink

1 - 20 of 31 Posts