Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many hours of some relaxing reading since owning my Victory and being the first bike I've owned with ABS and EFI , I've been thinking although I have a warranty that will carry me through to 2023 , my dealer is 3 hours away. I would like to get some basic tools for the shop that will help to keep me going or at least if I have any issues I can phone the dealer and tell them what I have tested and found ( they are good that way ). I have been wrenching for many years so have the basics.
Can you fine people help me out with the must have's in the shop.
This is one I have come across but I'm not sure if its the proper one for checking the fuel pump

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Way I see it the pump works or doesn't. Doubt you will ever see anything in between.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
A fork spring compressor for doing the fluid change correctly.
A fork fluid height tool with siphon.
A lift.
A scissors/platform jack.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something else I came across for checking spark

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0002STS44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1VMTU9W4873PK&psc=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way I see it the pump works or doesn't. Doubt you will ever see anything in between.
I agree but I think easier to check with a guage, 1 of the 3 must haves for bike to run 1 gas , 2 compression, 3 spark.
I just want to have proper tools, my wife owns an 07 Kingpin as well.

·
13,003 Posts
Wickman

you don't say where you live so. Most auto stores will rent you a fuel pump tester. They all so have spark testers for less. Most good metric tool like sockets ratchet box ends a good multimeter a long with axle socket and allen wrench for front axle. When you go to hardware store for a nut guy 5 or 6 of them it will save you time.
Best advise is get rid of the Vic oil drain plug. Get a regular 6 sides drain plug

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vision I have pretty much have all the tools you mentioned, 1/4 inch upto 3/4 drive sockets, compression testers , leak down tests , torque wrenches etc . I’m in Ontario and have never had much luck renting any tools which is why prefer owning my own tools like the gauge and spark tester. I use a mityvac for oil changes so no dealing with oil plugs.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Not tools, but you will be glad you did this; Get and install a set of Speed Bleeders from speedbleeder.com They make bleeding stupid easy and you can do it solo. Watch the video on their site. I will never ever go back to those prehistoric ones. Give you a good, solid lever/pedal too. Encourages you to change brake fluid every 2 years or less, like you should.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not tools, but you will be glad you did this; Get and install a set of Speed Bleeders from speedbleeder.com They make bleeding stupid easy and you can do it solo. Watch the video on their site. I will never ever go back to those prehistoric ones. Give you a good, solid lever/pedal too. Encourages you to change brake fluid every 2 years or less, like you should.
Was just reading up on them , neat idea for sure.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I can vouch for this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to the a fuel pressure guage , which one am I looking for? I'm not sure if the connectors on the 07 Kingpin and the 2016 XCT would be the same as well.

·
13,003 Posts
You don't need the fuel pressure gauge auto stores like Autozone and O'reilly's will rent you one cheaper then you can buy a ice cream cone for.
Beside you might never need to check your pump

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Back to the a fuel pressure guage , which one am I looking for? I'm not sure if the connectors on the 07 Kingpin and the 2016 XCT would be the same as well.
Have you tried asking on the other forum?
I respect you wanting to have all the tools on hand. I think it's a rare thing for anyone to actually have at home so it is difficult for those that don't have them to direct you to the proper tool.
I did look at the one you linked and there are numerous bad reviews with respect to autos so you might not want that particular model.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't need the fuel pressure gauge auto stores like Autozone and O'reilly's will rent you one cheaper then you can buy a ice cream cone for.
Beside you might never need to check your pump
I’m not in an area that rents this kind of stuff, which is why I’ve always bought my own. I also don’t borrow tools as I tend to break stuff:devil

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried asking on the other forum?
I respect you wanting to have all the tools on hand. I think it's a rare thing for anyone to actually have at home so it is difficult for those that don't have them to direct you to the proper tool.
I did look at the one you linked and there are numerous bad reviews with respect to autos so you might not want that particular model.
No I didn’t poll the other site, I may have to as this is kinda important to me. I actually enjoy reading up on the issues people have with these bikes and yes I know it’s not all the time issues but interesting at that. Which tool did you read on with the bad reviews ?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No I didn’t poll the other site, I may have to as this is kinda important to me. I actually enjoy reading up on the issues people have with these bikes and yes I know it’s not all the time issues but interesting at that. Which tool did you read on with the bad reviews ?
The one linked in your original post.

Well I for one hope to avoid issues but buying used I'm finding stuff on my 2012 that people posted about years ago. I have the same fix they had then I just stumble on it later. Lol

·
13,003 Posts
Am sure that Amazon kit would have the correct hose. There is only two sizes and Rylan from the vic shop never says you need a special fitting

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Am sure that Amazon kit would have the correct hose. There is only two sizes and Rylan from the vic shop never says you need a special fitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOJWC2Xrs8
This is one of the videos that got me interested in the troubleshooting procedures, Rylan does a nice job in his videos and yes too bad he didn't mention the tool a bit more and the fitting needed. I will have to research more.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
In addition to what Ricz posted earlier, you typically only need the most basic of hand tools to work on your Victory. A metric Allen wrench set and the most common metric sockets and wrenches and well, you're likely set for many 10's of 1000's of miles.

I need to order the Speed bleeders he mentioned earlier as well.

In reality, the best 'tool' you'll need is the correct Service Manual for your model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts