Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a new Victory Jackpot owner as of early July and am wondering if anyone else has had a transmission failure like mine. Bought a new '08 model, Owned the bike for a month and a half and was just getting back from a trip. I was on the interstate in overdrive and started exiting off. I grabbed the clutch (fully disengaged), coasted for 30-40ft then decided to shift down. Stepped on the gear shift and all of a sudden my trans started grinding horrifically. Started making all kinds of racket, never let the clutch go, so got on the brakes hard and moved over to the shoulder. Got to about 30mph when my trans completely locked causing my rear tire to lock. This caused me to stop a lot quicker then expected but was able to keep the bike up.
So anyways, now my bike's been in the shop for a month and was just told half my trans parts are on back-order (under warrenty)!!!! So now it's looking like I won't get my bike back before riding season is about over. Just really pisses me off. Another crappy thing is since I didn't buy my bike from the local dealer they won't let me take out a loaner to get some riding in!
Anyone else had trans problems or any other type of problems from victory?? Or am I just one of the lucky ones??

·
Registered
14 Posts
You seem to be a lucky one. Although I've always thought that my hammer shifts hard once it's fully warmed up. Never locked up or growned teeth, but I feel it clunks into gears when the tranny is hot. Might just be the way these bikes shift?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Jackpot your problem is not common by any means. You seemed to have gotten a bad tranny.

Hammer, our bikes are all gear driven no belts except for the final drive pulley. They are clunky and thats just the way gear tranny's are. They slam and clunk loud!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 08 Jackpot with 11,000 miles. Last month I was riding the Blueridge Parkway and I heard a metal klank on two separate occasions. I instinctivelly looked down to my left to see if something may have fallen off. This past Saturday I was cruising and my bike had a horrific klanking noise when it lost the gear. I pulled in the clutch and coasted to the side of the road. I couldn't get it in neutral. I had it towed back to town. Today I heard from my mechanic where he suspects the transmission. $90/hour with an 8 hour tear down...sucks, huh?:(

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
If you have an 08 Jackpot with 11,000 miles it isn't going to cost you anything because its warranty UNLESS you've done some modifications to your tranny or not serviced your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It definitely sucks. Luckily mine is still under warranty. Hopefully the parts that broke on your bike aren't on back-order like mine are but I'm sure they are.

I would say call Polaris and tell them about it but I've already done that and they basically told me to pound sand in a nice PR-type way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought it in March of 08. I got the call from my mechanic today telling me that 4th gear was nstripped on both sides and a couple of other gears were missing teeth. I am sick!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
That sucks. Do you think your mechanic can work something out with Victory?

I've never heard of ANY Vic having that problem, except for one that was raced a lot. Even then I know a lot of guys that drag their bikes with the stock clutch and it never failed them.

Make sure to get the parts from your mechanic. I'm not saying he is dishonest BUT make sure to go check them out and get them from him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just found out that the main problem is in 4th gear-something about the shaft and countershaft was stripped and other teeth are missing in other gears. My mechanic is having difficulty understanding the cause of the problem. He said that he would understand if it were in 1st or second gear. I asked if my Blue Ridge mountain trip may have been a determining factor. He didn't think that mountain riding was the issue.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I will tell you this. Go up to the dealer unannounced and ask to see the parts! I've been a Victory owner for 3 years and worked at a dealership and have my own Victory business.

Like I said before the ONLY time I've seen or heard of this was a guy that took his bike to the strip a lot.

If in fact this is the problem your tech should be able to work something out with Victory on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it happened to me too that's why I started this post. Seems like there was a bad batch of gears produced in the 08 models. It was the 5th gear that stripped for me. And it's only got 1500 miles on it.

Morgan, has your mechanic mentioned anything about the parts being on backorder?? I'm still waiting on some parts for mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep! I found out today that the countershaft and the main shaft are on back order. They are telling me that the main shaft and the countershaft are on back order. One is backordered until November and the other is backordered until January. What did you do?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey,

I don't own a Victory although I am interested in them. I have road tested (a Jackpot & was impressed) and being an Auto Tech. naturally I compared the Victory specs to what I am currently riding. I did like the fact that Victory has doulble the oil capacity of my bike and comes from the factory with an oil cooler. I don't know, and I am not trying to create panic here but....with all that oil capacity does the engine, primary/clutch, and transmission share the engine oil?? If so wouldn't the debris/particles of the shredded gears have passed throughout the entire engine/primary/oil pump and cooler. If so you may want to make sure the entire lubrication system is flushed.

I hope all your parts arrive quickly and you get back on the road ASAP...

Tech23

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news, I just got my bike back today. Took it for a quick ride and actually shifts smoother now.

Just for a reference with your bike pambmorgan they charged Victory with 11 hours of labor. Hope you get your bike back before Jan.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Jackpot Rider....

That is good news...it wasn't even a full month. Do you know what the dealer claimed as the failed part and what they claimed as consequential damage? Do you know if the failed part number has been supersceded, indicating an updated part.

Tech23

·
Registered
29 Posts
victory dud

victory's are called clunk ah chunk dud, period!!!!!!!!!!!! should of bought a jap bike, myself included

1 - 20 of 25 Posts