Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Vic riders, I stalled out in buying a Vic only to conduct a little more research. Is there a difference between the early model Vic transmissions and the newer ones?. For example a pre 2010 or post 2010 transmission. I have read a couple different articles about clunky transmissions. Is there anything to worry about and which years should I avoid that would cause me transmission problems?. This will be my second Cruiser ( first was a Yamaha Maxim in the mid 90s).

I have used the search function and google and I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Just articles and threads about transmission issues that never seem to answer my question.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
From what I've heard around here, any Vic transmission from 2003 on up to today are pretty much bulletproof.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You do not need to worry about the transmissions after about the '01 model year.

YMMV but I would NOT be worried about it if I was buying a late model Victory.

No matter what.....It will clunk if you're used to something silky.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The transmission was redesigned for the 2011 model year to increase the oil change interval. Prevailing sentiment seems to indicate the new transmission is noisier. Prevailing sentiment also seems to be they're nearly indestructible and have been, as the other guys noted, for over a decade.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I hear the loud clunk-- that just reassures me that there is plenty of metal down there. Being an ex-HD rider, I thought ALL big heavy bikes were suppose to do that. Of course, I have used a heel toe shifter for the last 13 years or so..........................

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
OK, one more time....pre-load the shifter for smoother and quieter shifts. Adjust the shifter so your foot just sneaks under it, even taking up some of the slack for more positive shifts.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The latest transmission is set up so that if you are stopped you can only select 1st or neutral. That started in the 2011 models and includes my '13. I am not sure there is any other difference in how the new trannies and the old vary apart from that improvement. I have sat at a stop and pumped my shifter for an upshift several times just to find out I am still in neutral so I know that aspect works just fine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The 2011 motors require oil changes every 2500 miles. I believe in 2012 the redesigned the transmission, oil changes were changed to 5000 miles. In any event, they are noisy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My understanding was that in 2011 or 2012 there was a slight redesign of the transmission. I can't remember if it was the addition of Helical cut gears or improvement of the helical gears

·
Registered
220 Posts
the remainder of the 5-speeds were also changed to 6-speeds. It is noisy, if that is really a complaint... ok? the music, pipes, wind, and knowledge of reliablity drown out any thought of the shifting I have ever had.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the responses. My main concern was that I'm looking at a 2009 Jackpot with about 3500 miles, and a 2012 Highball with 1000 miles.

I've yet to ride a big Vtwin that doesn't have a clunky tranny in some form or another. Noise isn't going to be an issue for me as I will have aftermarket pipes on it. I was more concerned about reliability. If a thousand Vic owners say the transmissions are bullet proof, there has to be some merit to that claim. I am pretty much sold on the Vics. My level of riding will be mostly short trips (500 under miles) and around town riding, with the occasional high mileage (over 500) ride. If the bike can handle that in a comfortable and reliable manner I'm good. Next up is to test ride the two!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Having had mine only bout 6 weeks...N-1st is still & I suppose will always be a clunk...but I have learned to shift it 1-6 with little to no noise. 6-2 downshift ?...just a bit louder..but not horrible. Then the clunk.

So far it is my only real complaint...but not really a concern. The rest of the motorcycle's positives make up for it. and if that continues to be ? and the motorcycle proves to but reliable ?....I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
426 Posts
with the Jackpot just remember that counter-steer is your friend. at first you're gonna think its trying to fight you through the turns, but when you start riding it right, you'll love it. cant say anything about the highball, never rode one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If I had a choice, I'd get a newer 2011 bike. I love my Hammer, but the sucker will just not go into Neutral at a stop w/the engine running. Have to turn the bike off.

PITA at long red lights.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Put a set of loud pipes on and trust me the clunking will go away....:crzy:
Yeah and just slam the next gear in!
Heavy Duty transmissions are noisy,
Ever shifted a Ford Toploader?
or heard GM's Muncie 4 speed scream!

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
If I had a choice, I'd get a newer 2011 bike. I love my Hammer, but the sucker will just not go into Neutral at a stop w/the engine running. Have to turn the bike off.

PITA at long red lights.
No probs with my 2010 Vegas 100/6
Check yr getting full pull on your clutch adjustment and try to tap in into N before you completely stop.
As I turn into my street I can with a gentle tap from second, snag N and roll to a stop. Unlock the gate while idling,
Clunk into first and through the gate the as I approach my shed just snick it up out of first into N,
No problem.
Im using Penrite 10-50 M/C Semi-syn with a splash of Lucas oil stabilizer (250mls)
If I'm at a red light I'm in first with an eye on mirrors aware of txting cage drivers .

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Once you get to second gear just start upshifting around 3000 RPM. If you use the clutch at that speed and take it easy you won't hear another shift until you are shifting down into second from third. I only have 15700 on my '13 so I can't say about long term durability, but so far my tranny looks bullet proof.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The 2011 motors require oil changes every 2500 miles. I believe in 2012 the redesigned the transmission, oil changes were changed to 5000 miles. In any event, they are noisy.
No they don't! The 2011 has oil change intervals of 5000 mi. As stated previously the transmission was modified for 2011. All they changed in latter 2011 and 2012 was some parts in the torque compensator.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Noisy, clunky.....a year and a half in...no problems. I believe for 2012 and newer the 6th gear was helical cut. It definitely sounds different when riding. I have a 2013 CCT. There is also this irritating little disengagement thing that occurs when slowing down just before stopping. I haven't had a single problem with the tranny, but it is definitely not refined. You get used to it an it kind of grows on you. I am not refined either.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts