Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2004 victory vegas. I had installed new wheels and the hubs seem to be the same as the original and the wheel was snug getting it in with the wheel spacers so I don't think that is the issue. The question is, with the belt running true in the center of the rear pulley, the belt is extremely close to the framewhere the back tube comes down. It's actually probably smaller that a 1/8" gap. The belt is running on the inside of the engine pulley, so there is probably 7/16" room to move it over to the outside and get the belt away from the frame. This is all with the bike sitting on the ground with no one on it. I'm not sure how much it will change to have weight but it seems like it shouldn'tbe that close. I was going to get some steel spacers roughly 3/16" and put them between the rear hub and pulley to space the pulley out more to get more distance from the frame
Has anybody had to move the pulley out a little bit before? Do you think the spacers will be safe? I don't see why they wouldn't be, but II'm curious as to why it is like this in the first place. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check your tire that it is centered in the fender. I believe the spacers are different lengths. You may of gotten them mixed up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I adjust it for more clearance it just puts the belt on a bind. Right now it is centered on the rear pulley. I'm just going to space it out 3/16". I don't really care where it is on the engine pulley as long as it's centered in the rear pulley and I have plenty of clearance. I know if I adjust the wheel it will squeak.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you had the small spacer on the pulley side yes it would move the wheel over. But then you would have no back brakes because your rotor wouldn't fit in your caliper, and if you did get it to work the caliper bracket wouldn't be mounted in the swinger slot and you still wouldn't have back brakes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Then I would think it has been that way all along. You should be able to see wear marks on the drive pulley and see if that is where it has been riding. It seems to me if you space out the pulley it may have a shearing affect to the bolts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's very possible. I personally haven't had the bike on the road. I bought it from auction. It was in a garage that caught fire. I have rebuilt it and am coming to the end and had noticed that. I know i shouldn't have to space it because it's not from the factory, but I just don't know how to do away with besides cocking the wheel and putting the belt on a bind. It's odd for sure..

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just checked my pin and the belt is a good 1/2 inch from the frame. And the belt is in the middle of the of the drive pulley and has always ran to the outside of the wheel pulley.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate you looking. I also have a 07 kingpin and mine is the same as yours. Plenty of clearance. I did see a post on here about someone bashing the witchdoctor open cover and his belt was way on the inside like mine on the front pulley. I don't know what his frame clearance was but....I'll try and post link.

·
13,247 Posts
I rotated your photo. Do this get the back wheel off the ground. Now sit on the floor behind the bike and spin the tire forward and look at how straight the belt is. You can see a curve in the belt if there is one. Now if belt is in straight line you can see your Clarence. Belts do not flex side to side they flex up and down

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=60273

hat's how I did adjust it. I'll have to play with it again but I know if it gets clearance it will hit hard on one side of the pulley. Here is that link I was talking about showing how his belt is on the inside of drive pulley. Then again he was complaining about rubbing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the picture rotation too. The rotation function on my phone took a cap so even when i take normal pictures it for some reason wants to turn them. Problem after problem :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. What is going on? The wheel looks as straight as can be. I just don't get it. Is it an aftermarket sprocket? Sure looks oem. I'm at a loss besides a spacer...

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, I AM SO I SORRY MY PICS ARE SIDEWAYS! Vision on my hooked me up earlier but it's my cap a $$ phone. These are the best pics to describe how the wheel is sitting in comparison to the motor. Just doesn't make sense. Like I said before though I've never had the bike on the road and didn't pay attention to the way it was before disassembly. I guess I figured I would not run into such an Issue.

Attachments

·
13,247 Posts
First off quiet looking at front sprocket.
Do not pay any attention to the marks on the axle plates.
Now the left hand adjuster is for belt tension.
Right hand is for belt in and out.
Now with wheel in middle of swing arm spin wheel forward several times. That will move the belt all the way out to the right.
Now rotate wheel back wards just enough to get the belt to the inside pulley flange. You will need to use the axle adhuster bolt to do this. Stop right there.
Now with the right hand axle adjuster just touching the axle Your going to turn the bolt left or right to get the belt JUST off the inside flange. Rotate wheel forward just enough so belt is off the flange by a 1/32nd no more mind you.
Now you should be done. Your over thinking it.
Like I said the belt does not move side to side when your going down the road. So a 1/8th inch clearance is fine

·
13,247 Posts
this photo look like you have it. You have to have the back wheel off the ground to adjust the wheel and belt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That doesn't look like a stock rear pulley to me ... Also the space between the outer edge of the rear pulley and the inside leading edge of the swing arm looks to wide to me , like the dishing of the pulley is incorrect . I believe that is the incorrect rear pulley , only my observation .

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree that's not a stock pulley. Measure the outer edge of the pulley to the inside of the swing arm. It should be about 1/4" to 3/8". Compare it to your pin.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts