Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried a search, found nothing.

I want to raise my handlebars to a more upright position like the 8-ball has...so last night I took the controls off only to find that this cannot be done until I drill a second set of holes in the bars so the controls have somewhere to sit in and hold to. Everything I had previously read said the handlebars all come with two sets of holes for either an upright or low riding position depending on rider size. Well that is just not true and I'm tired of pulling my elbows in to ride.

I'd like to see if anyone has done this or who could some approximate estimates as to where I should make these holes in relation to the existing ones so I can keep all my cables at the same length and avoid much adjustment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
It would be much easier to grind down the peg than to drill new holes, don't you agree? Then you can change the angle of the levers to wherever you want. When tightening the perches, have then just tight enough that they hold their position, but can rotate in the event of a drop and prevent the levers from breaking. An old dirt biker's trick.
Three reasons drilling the bar is not a good way to go; chrome is very, very hard stuff, new holes will start it peeling, unless you have a drill press with a drilling jig its hard to start a drill bit on a round surface.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are 100% correct...it would definitely be easier to do that, and I did consider it but was unsure if I could tighten them enough to prevent them from moving/sliding. Guess I could wrap the bars with some electrical tape to give the perches something to bit into a tad. \\

...Alright, I'll give it a shot...thanks!

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
You can tighten 'em stupid tight if you wanted to. No need for tape. I did what I recommended to my bars 5-1/2 years ago and nothing has moved.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
The perch is made of soft aluminum, so filing the pegs down will be easy. Good luck and glad I could be of help. That's what us old guys hang around for.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
What RICZ said, thats what I did when I fitted BurleighBars.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
I am 6' 3" so i also moved my bars UP same line as my fork, just "snip off" that nodge and file it back, easy peasy

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting post and hope I am not hijacking. When I ride 1 up my bike feels ok reach wise to the bars. Not perfect but ok. When I ride with my wife 2 up the problem is more apparent. My wife is constantly sliding forward over bumps because I cannot rest against her as my reach doesn't allow it. How does one determine which bars to get to correct this problem.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
There should be a generous elbow bend when you are in a riding position. If your arms are straight, or damn near straight, you are too far away from the bars. It's that simple.
I was too far from the bars and when I had my seat customized, he modified it to move me forward. Now I have much more control.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Interesting post and hope I am not hijacking. When I ride 1 up my bike feels ok reach wise to the bars. Not perfect but ok. When I ride with my wife 2 up the problem is more apparent. My wife is constantly sliding forward over bumps because I cannot rest against her as my reach doesn't allow it. How does one determine which bars to get to correct this problem.
Bars with a little more pullback should allow you to lean on her to keep her in place.
I have Burleigh Rollerbars which utilise all original cableing
And solo I use a Grasshopper removable backrest to stop me slouching.
When two up I remove it and we are as one so theres no sliding forward as shes already there, she has her own. backrest but doesnt really use it as she prefers to become part of me and the machine, we work together in perfect unison on my Vegas and its a joy... I notice some other passengers actually use the backrest and arent in contact with me at all, and if I'm giving a fella a ride somewhere well I just leave my grasshopper in position behind me.
Theres a thought! If you dont want the missus joined to your back get hold of a grasshopper backrest. Thatll keep her in place and maybe train her to hold her position over bumps by taking her weight on the footpegs.
Oh and Ive secured a very generous $100 discount on Burleigh Bars for us Forum members, Theyre still quite dear but the best always is, and with the lousy Aussie dollar vs the USD theres never been a better time to get a set of Burleigh Bars on your Vegas!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot fathom ever spending $800+ on some bars...nope.

haven't ground down the control boxes yet, but I did pick up some sweet grips from local company SMT Machining to hold me over for a while. they are gorgeous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts