Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here we go again ...this thread is not intended to belittle or talk down on HDs. I just had a buddy say to me yesterday that

"riding Vics isnt any different than a Honda"
"The technology in HDs now days are equal with Victory"

He likes my XCT he has said so, but is so water logged in the COOLaid that him even admitting that my XCT is nice is like making him drink bad medicine.

Im pretty sure his bike when it comes to the engine, its the same old engine but with a head that now has water cooled passages. but Im not up to speed on everything.

So I know alot of stuff about Vics but not the newest HD baggers. His is a 2014 limited.
so what as a quick reference for me for those who know are the tech things about this HD that I may not know that are relevant in difference.

Is that the same old engine from days gone by and on and on.

Thanks for the help. I intend on educating him next ride.

·
Registered
784 Posts
2014 saw better cams and breathing on even the non water cooled 103's. It was enough to make me take notice on a test ride. When asked what was different, there was a deer in the headlights look. Go figure.
Other than the cams and breather, then water cooled heads on limited models, they are the same ol' since 09 when they revamped the rear end on the E-Glides. Good move for them but they should have given it more travel and stiffened the frame.
Electronics are great when they work. Probably have some of the gremlins out of that by now and certainly should by next year. I am guessing they figured out all the boiling over and leaking in the radiators.

Not a lot to see there beyond the very obvious. cheers

·
Registered
483 Posts
"riding Vics isnt any different than a Honda"
"The technology in HDs now days are equal with Victory"

Well then [if] the technology is the same ?....Then riding an HD is also no different than riding a Honda....:)

My only & long standing question is.......who cares & why do we argue about it?

Ride safe & enjoy....what ever it is.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I apologize if it seems Im arguing with him. But Im not hes a good friend and is just ignorant of Victorys vs harley info. Infact I dont think he even knows what hes got as far as old technology's go. I just wanted to make sure I was speaking from knowledge and I didnt want to miss guide him or be incorrect.

The thing I wont be able to overcome is the poison in his head about the HD image hes caught up in. Hes deep in the Image of trying to be a badass. It wears me out.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
well I apologize if it seems Im arguing with him. But Im not hes a good friend and is just ignorant of Victorys vs harley info. Infact I dont think he even knows what hes got as far as old technology's go. I just wanted to make sure I was speaking from knowledge and I didnt want to miss guide him or be incorrect.

The thing I wont be able to overcome is the poison in his head about the HD image hes caught up in. Hes deep in the Image of trying to be a badass. It wears me out.

Did he like your tee shirt? :mrgreen:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
483 Posts

That wasn't aimed at you !...I apologize if it seemed so. My comment was more meant in general. {We} the motorcycling community just seem to get in a hissy about what someone else rides. That's the part I don't get. And yeah the [i must be a badass cuz i ride a this or that....does get really old.

That said .....of course we all should ride Sunset red Vic/CrossRoads..cuz they are best ridden by the smartest..err,I mean....:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
13,251 Posts
I would say Harley is farther head of Victory
Yes the baggers are water cooled to prevent heat.
There turn signals works without push the dam button 3 or 4 times
Harleys ECM along with their spark plugs you don't get backfiring when you add exhaust and air filter.
Haley doesn't tell you the BS you should change your belt when its hardly used. They say inspec at 80 thousand.
There clutch cables don't need lubing every other day and the fork oil is good for 50 thousand miles.
Yes is the spring you put in new primary and trans oil and ride it.
Every 5 thousand you change oil like we do.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My son-in-law has a 2014 Street Glide with 9,000 miles, and has already had a lifter go bad. My ex-wife's Uncle owns an H-D dealership and his brother has a 2014 Road King at about 10,000 miles ALL of his lifters were bad.
Not bashin' just statin' the facts that I know. BTW these are the only 2 people I know with a 2014 H-D.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
132 Posts
well yes thats what started it..lol..no hes cool and all its just he doesnt know the diff between the 2 and to compare to a honda was a low blow in my opinion.

we are good RGP.

technology hum well here..watch the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkFPUeNUqc
If you want some good information on Victory vs. Harley go to YouTube. There's an AZ dealership that has some videos showing just how much different the technology between the two manufactures is. That might help you talk to your friend.

Last week at a gas stop I had a guy in a cage start talking to me and he said he wouldn't own anything but a Harley. I asked him what he rode and he said he didn't have a motorcycle. Then I asked him what model Harley he had owned in the past. He said he's never owned a motorcycle. I laughed and finished filling my tank and rode off wondering what rock he crawled out from under cheers

·
Registered
415 Posts
Same as riding a Honda huh? I would hope that you thanked him for the compliment, Honda has been at the forefront of technological advancements for over 50 years. I think HD updated from a side valve engine to an overhead valve around the time that Honda was playing with overhead cams.

I wouldn't be too concerned about what a Harley owner thinks about my Victory. It's not what you ride, it's "that" you ride that counts.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Local HD dealer was having a demo day today so I swung in and took two rides on their new Street and Road Glides. Took the SG out first and ... well I HATED it! I felt only I was being SQUISHED into the dash. It also felt like I was riding on TOP of the bike rather than "in" the bike. Basically, it felt like I was riding a Jackpot instead of a Bagger. It had good torque but ran out of gearing quickly with what seemed to be a 5K rev limit (I think). Handling was also "heavy" with quick S-turns within the lane weren't as easy to execute. Worst thing was... the HEAT from the engine on the right-hand side was SO sever that I HAD to use the highway pegs to get even small relief. Hard to believe those things are water cooled now. It may have helped cool off the engine itself for better HP but it certainly doesn't make the ride any cooler for the operator. Today was in the 90's but it was WORSE than my XC with temps in the 100s. You couldn't pay me to take that bike.

Second ride was on a RG and it rode significantly different. I could sit back more and the bars were similar to mine so VERY similar riding position (maybe a different seat?) but still a bit on top instead of in kept me feeling like 1 with the bike itself. The heat was still enough that it would prevent me from buying a 103. Maybe the 110's are cooler?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
For **** Sake... Somebody said Harley Davidson...

Why would I give 2 shits what some peckerhead thinks of Victory motorcycles? Why even argue with the dude? **** him.

Honestly, it sounds like both of you are lacking in knowledge of motorcycles, so you're even. Go ride and stop being intimidated by the brand name on his motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
well I HATED it! I felt only I was being SQUISHED into the dash. It also felt like I was riding on TOP of the bike rather than "in" the bike. Basically, it felt like I was riding a Jackpot instead of a Bagger.
So are you saying you do not like Jackpots ?? If not then I dislike your so called bagger toooooo

:ltr:

Just feeding the fire here mate, no need to be offended :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For **** Sake... Somebody said Harley Davidson...

Why would I give 2 shits what some peckerhead thinks of Victory motorcycles? Why even argue with the dude? **** him.

Honestly, it sounds like both of you are lacking in knowledge of motorcycles, so you're even. Go ride and stop being intimidated by the brand name on his motorcycle.

Nobody asked you two give a ****. Its a friend and we have these back and fourth civil conversations. Ive shared with him what I know and was looking for more on the newest HDs..THE NEWEST, dam dont you comprehend what you read. You completely missed the boat on this one HS. Intimidated by his brand now thats a good one.
Your way off.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
I can't keep my eyes of these amaizing baggers :eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts