Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
13,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on Vic web page looking for some parts that they have had for ever. Now there gone like the colored spark plug wires. There were a few other things and nothing.
I thing Vic peaks in here to see what we have to say.

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Like a one eyed cat peeking in a seafood store.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I don't think. I know they do.
When I was dealing with a Ma Vic customer service supervisor over the backrest recall deal, we had a nice, long conversation and I asked him directly if they watch these forums. His comment was something like...we'd be stupid not to.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good, maybe they'll see some of our disapproval of some discontinued models.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Looking at the Victory site I see they now offer a hydraulic clutch kit for the cross country. That gives me hope that they are listening.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not that I expect a corporate shill to chime in to verify that theory but if they made the rounds of interweb forums and heard the whining about sundry issues ranging from dealership experience to secret handshakes with gas fillers, does it not seem rational to think that in the decade plus these forums have been in existence perhaps the acquired data may have guided them to move the ball some. Cleaned up wiring? Control pod redesign? Busted plastic piton on the fuel line from gas tank removal? Shock schrader valve location? Paint? I was born in Okiehomey. Not Missouri but close enough to say show me.

The benefit of these forums will continue to be the people who ask and the people who answer. Big brother watching? Not likely. Big brother paying attention? Sure, whatever, if it helps you sleep at night. Big brother adding to their knowledge base and using forum input to guide product review? Really? Really?

If anyone in Spirit Lake is listening to our ilk I bet it's the legal team and only when forum buzz borders on libel or patent or copyright infringement and they get wind of it. Otherwise this sample is too corrupted by passion and too small a slice.

OTOH does Victory monitor forums? Harley, Honda, Bergman, Segway. If I'm going to spend money spying on consumers, it ain't gonna be the ones I hooked. It's gonna be the ones I haven't reeled in.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I am of the other camp. No damned way do they tune in to our complaints and concerns. If someone who could actually make changes did so, we would not have as many complaints over a long period of time. I have only owned a Vic for about 15 months but I have seen the same basic complaints the whole time I have been here. If Vic monitored and cared, even a little, I would no longer be seeing the same darned complaints from a year ago or more. Those items would have been fixed and we, as a group, would have moved on.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Nobody is monitoring this or any other Victory site in an official proactive manner. Maybe weaseling in once in awhile for a look then slithering off back to the cubicle.

I'd have to say that if anyone from Polaris is checking in once in a while then they
1. Are very thick skinned.
2. Not in a position of any authority what-so-ever.
3. Are doing so only to get ideas to brand as their own.
4. Agrees with all the cons they read but have no progressive responses to address the matters.

Really, if they had any long term marketing strategy there would be some sort of customer advocate sponsoring a site and publishing and promoting the interactions. Followups would be speedy and accurate even if it's not the answer one wants to hear. As it is they just throw the product out with the same lackadaisical marketing attitude they do with the quads. I often wonder why they even got into the two wheel business and think it must have been pushed by some executives kid nobody wanted to say no to. They have a good product. While it's popular they need to sell it off to the Japanese or Germans to make it a great product. The sales figures for large cruisers are way too few on the global scale for anybody serious to take notice though.

Yes the options of better paint and chrome can be pricey but most of what I see as complaints and suggestions on the sites are not major contributors to a huge cost increase. Fit, finish and the notion that someone gives a damn is all the riders are after.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Not that I expect a corporate shill to chime in to verify that theory but if they made the rounds of interweb forums and heard the whining about sundry issues ranging from dealership experience to secret handshakes with gas fillers, does it not seem rational to think that in the decade plus these forums have been in existence perhaps the acquired data may have guided them to move the ball some. Cleaned up wiring? Control pod redesign? Busted plastic piton on the fuel line from gas tank removal? Shock schrader valve location? Paint? I was born in Okiehomey. Not Missouri but close enough to say show me.

The benefit of these forums will continue to be the people who ask and the people who answer. Big brother watching? Not likely. Big brother paying attention? Sure, whatever, if it helps you sleep at night. Big brother adding to their knowledge base and using forum input to guide product review? Really? Really?

If anyone in Spirit Lake is listening to our ilk I bet it's the legal team and only when forum buzz borders on libel or patent or copyright infringement and they get wind of it. Otherwise this sample is too corrupted by passion and too small a slice.

OTOH does Victory monitor forums? Harley, Honda, Bergman, Segway. If I'm going to spend money spying on consumers, it ain't gonna be the ones I hooked. It's gonna be the ones I haven't reeled in.
Well said
And I thought I was the only realist in this group.... LoL....

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
If they listened to all complaints... How would they make $$$ off "Custom" parts... If dealers made bikes/cars last forever, most companies would be hard up for selling new products...

·
Registered
483 Posts
An industry insider once told me that they [manufactures] actually do.
It even goes back to before the internet...when they monitored "accessory sales" he claims that is what brought about the "packaged" BMW's {RS}/{RT} back in the day. And what launched the Honda G/W fully equipped Interstate..in 1981 ? Other manufactures followed suit. They,.. the manufactures were aware of the accessories desired & bought...and wanted to capture that market as well.

And it appears they did just that...Vetter, Bates, Califaia. Shoei , etc....allot of aftermarket accessory makers....gone!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Home Base

The Magnum may just "be" because the majority population of bagger owners likes this style of bike. Reading Forums and looking at Magazines associated with Baggers has shown just how popular they have become. So yes, they are watching like the rest of us are. Ma Vic employees ride some of the baddest ass Victory's made and they did it listening and buying after market. HD has been doing it for years with CVO and Screaming Eagle editions. The cost of such is for the better off financially but Home base (Ma Vic) has made an optional bagger with nice touches that a lot of have done already to our own beloved steeds. The Magnums are way more affordable than a CVO bike but are still lacking the complete package. The motor! Nothing drastic has changed there on the VICS.

CVO gets a 110 and looking at a friends 110 CVO I can see where some of the money went. His bike is freaking badass. Almost 40K badass but badass none the less. I would pay $2500 more above a magnum price for a motor that was set up as simple and clean as my own. With my (considered minor) modifications of VM1 cams, PCV, and Lloyds filter you could hang that option on the handlebars in the showroom with a DYNO chart next to it showing a healthy 115/115 to the wheel. All with an improvement in fuel economy still running cats and being EPA compliant. The car manufacturers are doing it and these modern day muscle cars are still selling ! Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, all around 400 hp. 20 mpg. Hell Cat 707 HP!!!!! well not so much. Must be a gas guzzler charge in the price on that one. :crzy:

Well you get the point. Home base? Are you listening again? We want a motor now !!!! :D

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do they watch the consumer heartbeat? You bet your ass they do, whether it is this or other forums, or custom parts sales or what's trending in magazines. However, no company would survive if they capitulated to every individual complaint simply because of the nature of some of them, real, perceived, subjective, objective.... Well I'm sure you understand. The problem with all large corporations, just like government, too many people between the bottom and the top, so that by the time the info from the bottom gets to the top, it has been uber filtered so as not to resemble in any way, shape or form, what the bottom said in the first place. As long as the top sees sales and profits continuing to increase, and they get their bonuses, then there is no reason the delve into the "drivel" spawned by the bottom. Hence the difficulty we all see in dealer reputation and Ma Vic's inability to redesign some problem areas.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm thinking HD listened to their following and also catered to the new comers. Victory isn't there yet but you have to start some time. Victory seems to have earned their rights as the rebound company for HD and now that Indian is in the picture again they will be known as the alternative choice. Victory needs to stay on the custom path. It's time to be different again and some people (not HD owners) like change. I have been looking at Harley's for 50 yrs. Not a lot of change there. The Magnum is almost too late. The Vision needs a serious re design and the rest of the line up is pretty much blah. There's no excitement any more as it used to be when Victory built the King Pin, custom Hammer, rolled out the Vision and the X bikes. It seems the Blacked out theme is in as is bragging rights with higher HP motors. XC dash needs re design for a better infotainment system. XC trunk is too top heavy, XC mirrors are the worst and the after mkt isn't much for them. Just my thoughts. I love the bike and when I bought it in 2011 it was the hottest factory offer then in a bagger. Today the compliments still come and they are appreciated. Rode my bike after work yesterday. 95* 100% humidity. She never seen above 210 on the temp gauge and I could have rode her into the sunrise. I never rode a better bike in my life and I find it hard to improve it as it is near perfect for me. Still would like to see more new offerings from Victory/Polaris.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd say that the marketing folks at Polaris sure are watching. Keeping a pulse on their marketplace and buyers is their only job.

But that doesn't mean that an off-hand gripe on a forum becomes a reality fix on a Victory factory floor.

I'd wager that they have a lower-paid cubby jockey at Polaris monitoring our sites for major trends and patterns, maybe if it's a big enough "wave" then it'll get flagged and passed up the chain at some point.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm thinking HD listened to their following and also catered to the new comers. Victory isn't there yet but you have to start some time. Victory seems to have earned their rights as the rebound company for HD and now that Indian is in the picture again they will be known as the alternative choice. Victory needs to stay on the custom path. It's time to be different again and some people (not HD owners) like change. I have been looking at Harley's for 50 yrs. Not a lot of change there. The Magnum is almost too late. The Vision needs a serious re design and the rest of the line up is pretty much blah. There's no excitement any more as it used to be when Victory built the King Pin, custom Hammer, rolled out the Vision and the X bikes. It seems the Blacked out theme is in as is bragging rights with higher HP motors. XC dash needs re design for a better infotainment system. XC trunk is too top heavy, XC mirrors are the worst and the after mkt isn't much for them. Just my thoughts. I love the bike and when I bought it in 2011 it was the hottest factory offer then in a bagger. Today the compliments still come and they are appreciated. Rode my bike after work yesterday. 95* 100% humidity. She never seen above 210 on the temp gauge and I could have rode her into the sunrise. I never rode a better bike in my life and I find it hard to improve it as it is near perfect for me. Still would like to see more new offerings from Victory/Polaris.
I would say HD does listen as long as they retain the high repair rates and rake in the money for there dealers. They added water cooled heads when the bigger issue is crank, cam tensioners, cam bearings ect ect is where they should have been making changes. But they didn't they added a shower head so they could up the HP to compete with Victory and Indian.
But they didn't address the issues of there buying public ....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree they need to keep fresh.
What would you think if Vic freshens up the Vision with a motor like the new Scout motor. So double over head cams high HP and loved to rev. Say 10,000 rpm. Water cooled. Or a V4 water cooled double over head cams ect....

For me ..... I wouldn't buy it. I want low rpm high torque and no valve adjustments...... Ever....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Monitoring internet chat rooms, which this thread started out as, is not the same thing as monitoring the more important factors. Producers of any commodity monitor sales, costs and competition. Individual problems and suggestions are not even registered unless it effects one of the major contributors to the bottom line. There has to be some impact in the pocketbook before anything is acted upon. Does HD listen to the gripes of a bunch on the internet? Hardly. HD listens very much to HOG though. They have the organization and volume to highlight common concerns and wants. That group probably does more to drive direction than all of the HD engineers put together. HD certainly hasn't changed on their own over the years.

Competition pushes the innovation. The world marketplace has driven most of that since at least the '60's. North America was quite satisfied with the made at home products back then . Still would be if not for the Japanese imports and advancements of the technology they copied and improved upon. Most here would still be comfortable watching CRT televisions, running around town in rusting gas guzzler sedans and bikers hitting the road on their shovelheads. The Honda 750K and Goldwing punched them right between the eyes.

The global market share for large cruisers is so small I have no idea why they would venture in that direction but Victory was interested in creating something new and different to get in on that market. In any case, don't you think if they were interested in end users they would focus some resources towards that? It certainly couldn't be on the scale of HOG but something is better than nothing. They couldn't even come up with the resources to do their bbq this year.

The only reason Victory has been as successful as they are in relation to the metric bikes is because of the torque being so much higher. The only reason they've kicked a bit of sand in HD's direction is because it's so much cheaper. Would you pay a $5000 premium higher than an HD for your Vic? They do!

Check out some of the internet website chat rooms that are associated with other products from Polaris. You'll find the same types of problems and the same lack of response.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts