Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this video in youtube on how to improve the security of our saddle bags and to keep it from falling off the bike. Take a look at the stock fastener. Two of them on each bag. Am not going to trust it to hold a full load. The guy who made the video suggests using a speed u bolt along with bolts and lock nuts to secure the bags.

https://youtu.be/o53wTkzrWOg

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i had mine for over two years, 25,000 miles, never once did my bags come loose, even when i wrecked it, the factory fasteners pulled through the bags and were still attached to the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad this has worked for you DTMMIL. Maybe my fears are unfounded. Wanted to be sure. Besides, it's not often I'd take the bags off unless am cleaning the pipes.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No issues with mine either ... I've had my bags off many times .... :eek and always have a full load ....

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
nevermind,,,

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I installed those U-Channel speed nuts on my CCT soon after getting it. I'm going back to the oem 1/4 set-up this winter. The U-Channel speed nuts simply don't have near the surface area for retention as do the oem 1/4 fasteners.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've been using the "fix" mentioned above for almost 3 years now except I just replaced one fastner on each bag instead of both.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I went to the 5/16 Speed nut and bolts shortly after buying mine and I've never looked back. The local Lowes had them so what the heck, that's pretty much the only reason I have ;) . They're pretty secure. Whichever method you use just be sure to check them, any method can fail.

The Dzus 1/4 turn fasteners are all over aircraft and I've been popping those for 35 years so I trust them. My only two complaints with the bolt setup is you have to be careful putting the bag on to be sure it's straight and you need a wrench to remove the bag.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I picked up these - click here
It takes an extra couple of minutes when I check rear tire pressure, but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

·
12,983 Posts
you can get all parts at hardware store
A: 4 Threaded 5/16 black coated U-Clips
B: 4 Stainless Steel Flat Fender Washers
C: 4 Rosette Thumb Screws with Stainless Steel 5/16 2" Screws

use what ever you want for bolts. Ask hardware store guy about a wing bolt

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've been using the "fix" mentioned above for almost 3 years now except I just replaced one fastner on each bag instead of both.

So you fixed something that isn't broken or a problem?

14k miles, overloaded on my 3700 mile Sturgis trip and no issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have found my quick locks loose on more then one occasion , I added one Brukus fastener per side in the front of the bag for added security . There are older threads here of guys bags flying right off their bikes on the freeway . Its simply added bag security . I would like to thank PaiN for providing me the hardware at no charge , thanks Brother .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Harley use exactly the same system.

The bags on my Road King have never looked like coming loose or falling off in 150,000 kms so I wouldn't worry too much!

Russ.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So you fixed something that isn't broken or a problem?

14k miles, overloaded on my 3700 mile Sturgis trip and no issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I don't guess you noticed that I put fix in quotations. No, I did it because I never had a problem but others had when I joined this forum over 3 years ago.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts