Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here changed the stock XCT trunk speakers to the Kicker PS5250 speakers?

Did the Kicker speakers fit without any modifications to the trunk (cutting, making holes, etc)?

Is it a true drop-in replacement for the stock speakers?

I want to upgrade the speakers on my bike and adding an amp, and would prefer not to cut up the trunk.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes. It' will be a direct swap; HOWEVER, when you purchase your NEW kicker speakers make sure they are the 4ohm version. They will me designated as ps52504. The 4 indicates 4 ohm.

When I upgraded my trunk speakers, I bought some Polk speakers and cut out the back of the plastic to accommodate the larger speaker magnet. Looking back, I should have just went this route. Ah well... everything is 20/20 in hindsight.

-kg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I upgraded my trunk speakers, I bought some Polk speakers and cut out the back of the plastic to accommodate the larger speaker magnet. Looking back, I should have just went this route. Ah well... everything is 20/20 in hindsight.

-kg
What makes you say that? Were the Polk speakers better than the Kickers?

I am also considering getting some Polk speakers instead of the Kickers instead because of the cost. The Kickers are at least $150-$200 while I can get a set of 5.25" Polk DXi speakers for $50.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Can the Kicker ps52504 speakers be used in the fairing and trunk of the XC without cutting/butchering anything?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi guys,
Yes, the kicker speakers will fit all the way around. The only reason I didn't use the kicker speakers was because speakers, in a perfect world, should all be matched. Mixing speaker manufacturers for certain applications will make the audio sound... wrong... for a better lack of words.

That and i'm totally ocd about things being symmetrical. Little did i realize at the time though, was I was on a effing motorcycle. The details in the audio would have been lost because of just that. So now I have to come up with some way to shield the speakers that are coming into the trunk due to the sheer size of the magnets.

For the record, I went with db651's up front (6.5"), and db521's (5.25")in the trunk powered by rf at first, then trhough a couple other amps, and eventually landed on the soundstream pn4.320d amp. Why so many amps? That's a long story.

-kg

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on the speaker fitment. Looks like 4 Kicker ps52504 speakers would be a decent upgrade without any major surgery or re-doing things. Then an amp can be added later if more oomph is desired.

Are there any walkthroughs on taking apart the fairing to remove/replace the front speakers? I know I could search but since we're talking and some of you have done it I figured I'd just ask.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In regards to the trunk speakers, would it be possible to use speaker spacer (stand off) rings as opposed to drilling out the trunk? I wonder if that would provide the necessary clearance for the larger magnets of non-Kicker aftermarket speakers.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
In regards to the trunk speakers, would it be possible to use speaker spacer (stand off) rings as opposed to drilling out the trunk? I wonder if that would provide the necessary clearance for the larger magnets of non-Kicker aftermarket speakers.
I heard of several people doing just that, I cut my first set of aftermarket speakers in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Will the Rockford Fosgate PBR300 amp power all four of the Kicker speakers you are all discussing? I would like to get ONE amp to power all four speakers. I'm a little dumb when it comes to wattage and such and just want to make sure I get an amp that is "not too hot and not too cold."

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
263 Posts
Will the Rockford Fosgate PBR300 amp power all four of the Kicker speakers you are all discussing? I would like to get ONE amp to power all four speakers. I'm a little dumb when it comes to wattage and such and just want to make sure I get an amp that is "not too hot and not too cold."

Yes, the 4 channel RF works fine with four speakers. I've had one installed in my bike for over a year and working great.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks, Basshawk. Is that setup as loud as you expected? I want a noticeable increase in volume. As it stands, the stock sound doesn't get any louder past 13 or 14 on the volume meter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, the 4 channel RF works fine with four speakers. I've had one installed in my bike for over a year and working great.
Also, I'm assuming the Kicker speakers are way better (louder) than the stock speakers? I hate replacing something that isn't broken, especially when the difference is negligible. I guess I could always go with the amp only and see how they sound.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks, Basshawk. Is that setup as loud as you expected? I want a noticeable increase in volume. As it stands, the stock sound doesn't get any louder past 13 or 14 on the volume meter.

Part of the reason the stock setup doesn't get any louder is you have the auto volume turned on and probably set to medium. When I installed the amp, I turned that feature off since several audio guys said it would be good not to have it on with the amp. As for a loud setup, this thing rocks. The volume will go to 30 and I normally run it about 16-18. I have Polk Audio 5 1/4"n the fairing and Hof Wild 5 1/4" in the trunk. So I can't speak for the Kicker speakers themselves, but the RF amp is more than enough to drive those 4 speakers. I've got one upgrade left to do and that's replace the fairing speakers with 6 1/2" Polk Audio. I plan to do that within the next month or so just to get a little more bass.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Are there any walkthroughs on how the speaker replacement actually occurs and/or installing the amp and integrating into the cycle's audio system? I assume for the amp it is a matter of running the existing speaker wires from the stock head unit to the new amp's speaker-level inputs, but maybe that's not the best way?

Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Part of the reason the stock setup doesn't get any louder is you have the auto volume turned on and probably set to medium. When I installed the amp, I turned that feature off since several audio guys said it would be good not to have it on with the amp. As for a loud setup, this thing rocks. The volume will go to 30 and I normally run it about 16-18. I have Polk Audio 5 1/4"n the fairing and Hof Wild 5 1/4" in the trunk. So I can't speak for the Kicker speakers themselves, but the RF amp is more than enough to drive those 4 speakers. I've got one upgrade left to do and that's replace the fairing speakers with 6 1/2" Polk Audio. I plan to do that within the next month or so just to get a little more bass.
So, I think the setup I'll be going with is the RF PBR-300x4 amp, 6.5" Polks in the front and 5.25" Polks in the trunk (no cutting necessary). Does that like a winner?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts