Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of buying a new windscreen for my wife's XCT, I got it cut down for her, to her height.

She's 5'7.

I've used http://www.clearviewshields.com for a wing and my VTX1800. IMHO, nobody, and I mean nobody, makes better shields than them. Problem is, they haven't had a demanding request for a lot of Victory stuff. So....since they are 80 miles from me I ran up and paid them $40 to do the work.

Believe it or not, we used a GL1800 shield for the trace. Keeping with the original lines of the stock would have gotten into the bracketry areas. The XCT is almost a dead match on width to the GL1800.

I think it came out great.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1372377665.840632.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1372377678.383286.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1372377690.949504.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1372377702.507892.jpg

Just another option to buying a whole new shield. If you can get to someone who knows what their doing then it's well worth considering.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Instead of buying a new windscreen for my wife's XCT, I got it cut down for her, to her height.
That looks great. thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Very, very nice. I live fairly close to National Cycle and called them about cutting my CCT shield down 3". They said they don't do any kind of 'custom' work. Bummer for me but congratulations to you and to Clearview Shields.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had their shield on my vTX1800. I have the stock CCT shield. Could stand to have about an inch cut off. I live a little closer to them than you do. Great people. They told me to wait until the riding season was over and then to come up and they would cut it down for me. Even though it was their own shield, I would think that they could take the Victory shield and do the same thing. For everybody else, the Clearview shield is a GREAT, and I mean GREAT shield.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I cut mine with a coping saw and then belt sanded the edge. Looks great to me and didn't cost anything. Cut the shield while it was still on the bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
looks good. what did they use to make the cut ?

i cut my dark tint ness flip down(about 1 3/4" top center to 1/4" at ends) with a rotozip. got rid of the flip and distortion. came out real nice.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've cut 3 different shields down and plan to do the same on my CCT... but I want to get a spare stock height shield so I can install it for the spring/fall cooler weather.

Anyone got a "take off" they want to unload?

·
Registered
80 Posts
cutting down shields is quite easy.
tape both sides draw a line and cut.
I use a jig saw with duct tape on the base plate.
Then I go for a ride and see if it needs more cut off.
Then just sand the edge with a block and 100 grit and
work up to say 320.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
cutting down shields is quite easy.

I use a jig saw with duct tape on the base plate.
That part is easier said than done.

If you go too fast, the plastic will melt.
If you go too slow, it will chip and split.
If you use a rough-cut type blade, it will chip. Use a new, fine tooth blade.
Do NOT push (force) the cut ... let the saw do the work. Take your time, keep a steady hand and motion.
Start from one side and work towards the other. When you get a bit past the middle, put something into the cut to hold it spread apart and then tape both sides near the starting edge so the piece won't flap and fall away when you clear the other edge.

If you've never done this before, get a scrap piece of clear lexan and practise a bit. THEN it is easy.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't willing to try to cut it down myself. One shot kinda thing. Plus, like what's already been said, the guys at Clearview Shields are great and since I've used there stuff before, and windshields are all they do, it was well worth the $40 to have it done.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well an update for you all. I think, again, I say I think I had it cut correctly for her size. It about her nose when she is sitting in the riding position.

Don't know why but that method of shield height didn't work for crap. She gets so much wind in the face now and going 60, she says the wind stream is right in her forehead. It was so bad she ended up taking off her helmet cause it was getting pushed around so bad it was bothering her neck.

I can audibly hear the wind noise too while we are on intercom. It was about what it was on her old Honda Shadow 750.

So, it was an exercise I felt was worth it....sort of. I am guessing that the lower air flow under the center of the shield makes a huge difference in what is needed as far as height to get the airflow over her. OR it could be that the rider sits so far away from the shield that the wind is actually on it's way down as it hits the rider. OR a combination of both reasons perhaps.

While searching and deciding what to do now, I measured the stock shield as it is now. 10.5" from the top to the bottom of the lower cut out.

She guesses she could have a 2" taller and still see over it. I don't want to experiment with wasted money and shields so in the spirit of a quick replacement for our weekend rides (she hated it that bad that she doesn't want to ride it as it is now), I spoke to 7Jurock on Friday. It was the day after the 4th so I couldn't get any of the other windshild folks to answer.

They were so helpful and understanding that they made a 14", no flip (still 4" lower than the stock originally was), light tint shield over the weekend and it shipped yesterday. It will be here for our 3 day weekend trip this weekend.

That was fast and to be honest, earned my sale.

I will post another follow up after the weekend riding. I fully expect it will be spot on.

Oh, and BTW, if anyone wants a perfect, new CCT 10.5" shield, I know a guy :)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had their shield on my vTX1800. I have the stock CCT shield. Could stand to have about an inch cut off. I live a little closer to them than you do. Great people. They told me to wait until the riding season was over and then to come up and they would cut it down for me. Even though it was their own shield, I would think that they could take the Victory shield and do the same thing. For everybody else, the Clearview shield is a GREAT, and I mean GREAT shield.
Hey Squeak, we're gonna ride Pike's Peak Sunday. Wanna ride? Right now we have 3 Victorys and a BMW. You'd make the 4th Vic. Were riding elsewhere before over the weekend so we'll be overnight in COS Saturday. I'll PM you my info.

You don't need to wait until riding season is over. Any evening at 4 (according to Eric there at CVS).

My last post should be a warning to you. Standard practices on shield height don't seem to work with these XCT shields.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts