Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I will echo the other comments it really looks awesome!

I am signed up and look forward to the Victory Vision being added to this list of bikes supported as I will be a customer for sure.

·
Registered
742 Posts
@id-man - just curious, are these going to be able to be applied to matte finish bikes without damaging the paint if removed later?
that's a pretty darn good question man. On the gloss paint job I can unequivocally say that it would be absolutely no problem whatsoever, but I really have no first-hand experience with matte finish bikes so I better check on that before committing to an answer. While I'm at it let me reconfirm that there is a mat laminate available. I've been told there was but it never hurts to verify and I will also ask about how flat it is, how much sheen.

·
Registered
261 Posts
that's a pretty darn good question man. On the gloss paint job I can unequivocally say that it would be absolutely no problem whatsoever, but I really have no first-hand experience with matte finish bikes so I better check on that before committing to an answer. While I'm at it let me reconfirm that there is a mat laminate available. I've been told there was but it never hurts to verify and I will also ask about how flat it is, how much sheen.
Cool. Look forward to your response.

BTW, I dropped your name/website on the other forum because someone started a thread called "Wrap or Hydrographics". Looks like you have an account over there but don't use it very often. You may want to stop by and add your $0.02 on the subject.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Looks nice Broggy. Certainly different from the 5000+ blue ultra glides and street glides I saw saturday in Daytona. Looks like I need to save my lunch money up. Cant wait for the web site to help with the design your self phase.
Good job id-man and good luck.

·
Registered
742 Posts
that's a pretty darn good question man. On the gloss paint job I can unequivocally say that it would be absolutely no problem whatsoever, but I really have no first-hand experience with matte finish bikes so I better check on that before committing to an answer. While I'm at it let me reconfirm that there is a matte laminate available. I've been told there was but it never hurts to verify and I will also ask about how flat it is, how much sheen.
Cool. Look forward to your response.
Ok here's what I found out about getting prints in a matte sheen. The only difference is it will use 3M 8520 clear matte lamination which is less glossy than the 3M8518. There's no difference in cost or application technique or the adhesive properties. It will go on and come off exactly the same, leaving the surface underneath in the exact condition it was before covered. So the answer is you're perfectly safe. The only condition I could think of where you could leave some telltale evidence after removal would be if the area around the graphic had been worn or polished to a shinier luster from repeated cleaning or abrasion. If such a thing were to occur I'd think it could be mitigated by going over the areas with a compound of some sort that would even out the sheen over a larger area. I have heard of guys with suede finishes getting shiny spots and being able to do that - anybody who knows more about it please chime in.

I got a less satisfying answer about just how glossy the 8520 laminate is. Will it match the sheen of Victories factory Suede finishes? Pictures I've found online don't reveal much in that department, and I don't have an easy way to test it short of getting my hands on a sample and mailing it to someone who's got a suede bike for their feedback. I'll work on getting a sample.

3M's descriptions:

8518 gloss - 2 mil cast gloss laminate, provides wet paint look
Clear permanent solvent acrylic adhesive / Polyester liner
8 year outdoor durability (unwarranted period applied to a flat, vertical, outdoor surface)
Conformability: for use in deep channels and over complex curves
Resists fuel vapors, protects digital prints
Applications: Fleet/vehicle, vehicle wraps, watercraft, transit, labels, thermoformable, smooth walls, windows/glass
Use with IJ180C films

8520 Matte 2 mil cast matte laminate
Clear permanent solvent acrylic adhesive / Kraft paper liner
8 year outdoor durability (unwarranted period applied to a flat, vertical, outdoor surface)
Conformability: for use in deep channels and over complex curves
Resists fuel vapors, protects digital prints
Applications: Fleet/vehicle, vehicle wraps, watercraft, transit, labels, thermoformable, smooth walls
Use with IJ180C film

3M IJ180c 2 mil cast opaque white vinyl, removable gray adhesive, 10 year outdoor durability
Double-sided Polyethylene coated paper
Removable gray Controltac™ (slideability) adhesive
Comply™ adhesive air release channels for fast and easy, bubble-free graphic installations
10 year outdoor durability (unprinted)
Applications: vehicle wraps, boat graphics
Suggested laminates: 3M 8518, 8520

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Is there one possibly in the works for the top of the tank? I might happen to have a really ugly scratch near my fuel filler cap....

·
Registered
374 Posts
id-man, are these for steel frame bikes as well or Cross Bikes only?

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I wonder if it can fix my bike's flaws.....lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I wonder if it can fix my bike's flaws.....lol
No.....but there are some nice flesh colors to choose from for your legs. Hell, MD you might even be able to get into that Speedo again this summer.

:|

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
No.....but there are some nice flesh colors to choose from for your legs. Hell, MD you might even be able to get into that Speedo again this summer.

:|
Hmm....but it would cover up all my Frankenstein type scars on my legs! Speedo? He'll bro...I am puking in my mouth trying to picture that! If I make it happen, I will be sure to make sure you are the only one that gets that selfie! Bwa ha ha ha ha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Speedo? Hell bro...I am puking in my mouth trying to picture that! If I make it happen, I will be sure to make sure you are the only one that gets that selfie! Bwa ha ha ha ha
uh..I could never be that selfish, you should definitely share that one among all your friends :rolleyes:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Is there one possibly in the works for the top of the tank? I might happen to have a really ugly scratch near my fuel filler cap....
I could put something together for the top of a tank. There are two conditions that would apply...first of all, I'd want to get compensated for the time involved to create a one-off design and get it approved, make the print files etc, the cost of a single print would not come near covering the setup time. And there's a reason I didn't come up with tank-top designs to begin with, when facing the sky, the lifespan of these digital prints is cut in half and I didn't want to create a scenario where people would begin to complain of premature failure or have my name on something that was running around out there noticeably dull or faded from being left on too long. Would it work? absolutely, and if you keep your bike covered most of the time it would last many years, but would still eventually need replacing much sooner than a vertical placement. For someone that left their ride outside year round, noticeable fatigue could occur in as little as 2 years on the horizontal tank top vs 8 or more years for the bike's more vertical surfaces. But if your bike is regularly kept under cover, and/or ridden seasonally as much of the country is forced to do, even a horizontal placement would probably hold up very well, it's up to your environment and how you treat you ride.
id-man, are these for steel frame bikes as well or Cross Bikes only?
Curently I have my hands full trying to get the website working for the designs I've made for the Cross Bikes. Steel frame bikes are something I would definitely add in the future but I admit I have some reservations about them. For instance, those bikes have a lot less area to decorate (smaller sales), and what area there is, is a lot curvier, which could pose a problem for my do-it-yourself formula. I have to make sure what I design can be applied by the bike owner and any surface with a compound curve could quickly become too much of a challenge. But I will definitely explore those bikes once things get settled. We'll call that 'Phase II"! Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Cleaning Considerations?

@broggyr and @id-man: wraps look absofreakinlutely superb.

One question that doesn't seem to be covered: are there any considerations when cleaning bug guts, etc., off the surface of a wrap? For instance, recommended cleaners, have to be careful with pressure when using micro-fiber cloths, that sort of thing?

·
Registered
742 Posts
@broggyr and @id-man: wraps look absofreakinlutely superb.

One question that doesn't seem to be covered: are there any considerations when cleaning bug guts, etc., off the surface of a wrap? For instance, recommended cleaners, have to be careful with pressure when using micro-fiber cloths, that sort of thing?
First of all Thanks for the compliments! As for cleaning, there are some precautions I guess but they're all common sense. The first rule is basically, anything that you wouldn't do to your paint, don't do to these. Plus there's a couple things that you might do to your paint that wouldn't work so well on a laminated graphic. For instance, don't attempt to wet sand it and machine buff (although hand polishing with a very fine clearcoat swirl-remover is perfectly safe). And don't go over these with hard waxes. Even though there is nothing inherently wrong with paste-waxing the vinyl, what you don't want to end up with is a lot of white wax caked into the edges that would be hard to clean off. A soft, non-residue wax or simple detail spray is usually sufficient. They don't really need any special protection, especially not armorall, which I've heard can dry vinyls over time, although I would trust a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant. Basically just warm, slightly sudsy water and a soft sponge followed by a clear rinse should take care of everything sufficiently.
By the way, I am saving these questions to become future newsletters and content for my website's FAQ section.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
First of all Thanks for the compliments! As for cleaning, there are some precautions I guess but they're all common sense. The first rule is basically, anything that you wouldn't do to your paint, don't do to these. Plus there's a couple things that you might do to your paint that wouldn't work so well on a laminated graphic. For instance, don't attempt to wet sand it and machine buff (although hand polishing with a very fine clearcoat swirl-remover is perfectly safe). And don't go over these with hard waxes. Even though there is nothing inherently wrong with past-waxing the vinyl, what you don't want to end up with is a lot of white wax caked into the edges that would be hard to clean off. A soft, non-residue wax or simple detail spray is usually sufficient. They don't really need any special protection, especially not armorall, which I've heard can dry vinyls over time, although I would trust a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant. Basically just warm, slightly sudsy water and a soft sponge followed by a clear rinse should take care of everything sufficiently.
By the way, I am saving these questions to become future newsletters and content for my website's FAQ section.
Thanks for the info, and your time.

I never wash my bikes. I use Meguiers Quik Detailer and similar products, and a lot of micro-fibers (bought in bulk, at Sams Club, in my case). Once or twice a season, I'll add some spray on wax, the kind you let haze and then buff with a micro-fiber. I experiment with different brands of that, but nothing that will leave white gunk, and no solid-paste waxes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
By the way, for anyone curious - once the website gets up and running you will pick your bike model, set its color, choose one of the graphic designs, and arrive at a configurator looking similar to this, where you can scroll through many possible color combinations for each stripe or area of the design. This isn't the final appearance by a long shot, but it'll be along this line:

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
@ id-man, I'm impressed with your products and just wondering if there will be anything for the 13' Antifreeze green XC's that already have the black flames? Maybe something to take place of, or go over them? thumb up

·
Registered
742 Posts
@ id-man, I'm impressed with your products and just wondering if there will be anything for the 13' Antifreeze green XC's that already have the black flames? Maybe something to take place of, or go over them? thumb up
Thank you. I had not considered pre-existing 2-tone or graphic paintjobs when designing these wrap layouts, and from a quick look I'm tempted to say that anything I created which would cover that much surface would be too technically challenging for the do-it-yourselfer to install because of all the compound curves. You'd need more of a full panel real-wrap whereas my graphics are pseudo-wraps, covering just to the edge of the design.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Interesting. What did you have in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I could put something together for the top of a tank. There are two conditions that would apply...first of all, I'd want to get compensated for the time involved to create a one-off design and get it approved, make the print files etc, the cost of a single print would not come near covering the setup time. And there's a reason I didn't come up with tank-top designs to begin with, when facing the sky, the lifespan of these digital prints is cut in half and I didn't want to create a scenario where people would begin to complain of premature failure or have my name on something that was running around out there noticeably dull or faded from being left on too long. Would it work? absolutely, and if you keep your bike covered most of the time it would last many years, but would still eventually need replacing much sooner than a vertical placement. For someone that left their ride outside year round, noticeable fatigue could occur in as little as 2 years on the horizontal tank top vs 8 or more years for the bike's more vertical surfaces. But if your bike is regularly kept under cover, and/or ridden seasonally as much of the country is forced to do, even a horizontal placement would probably hold up very well, it's up to your environment and how you treat you ride.
Curently I have my hands full trying to get the website working for the designs I've made for the Cross Bikes. Steel frame bikes are something I would definitely add in the future but I admit I have some reservations about them. For instance, those bikes have a lot less area to decorate (smaller sales), and what area there is, is a lot curvier, which could pose a problem for my do-it-yourself formula. I have to make sure what I design can be applied by the bike owner and any surface with a compound curve could quickly become too much of a challenge. But I will definitely explore those bikes once things get settled. We'll call that 'Phase II"! Thanks for your interest.
totally understandable. I don't want you to muck up your operation with screwball one-offs. I'd want you to be adequately compensated for your time if you did, and I'd rather not have to provide that compensations :grin

Makes sense that a surface that gets a lot of exposure like the top of the tank would probably be a bit rough on the wrap. And I'm pretty indifferent to keeping my bike covered. only upside is my driveway is on the north side of my house and my bike's in the shade most of the day.

there is a reason the top of my tank and bags are a noticeably different shade of crimson red than the rest of the bike lol

21 - 40 of 355 Posts