Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a quick video on how I measure the tension on the drive belt of my 2014 Cross Country Tour.
I may do it differently than others, but as I say in my video, "...as long as you get the numbers, there is no wrong way."
Click here to watch the video.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Watched it, liked it....thanks again for an excellent production Paul.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Another great video and very well made, good job Paul! I have fixed the tension and aligned my belt a few times now and have gotten pretty efficient at it but come across a new one last week. Decided to check my belt because I thought I heard it chirping and it was at 1.5" deflection. Loosened axle bolt, tightened adjusters, got belt at 1.25 inches, aligned belt and checked tension again, torqued axle nut, checked deflection one more time then buttoned everything up. Checked my belt again just for the hell of it last week and it was back to 1.5" deflection at the tightest spot. Kinda lost on this one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another good video, and just in time. I have the belt chirp when my bike is cold so I need to check my belt. Thank You for these video's.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another great video and very well made, good job Paul! I have fixed the tension and aligned my belt a few times now and have gotten pretty efficient at it but come across a new one last week. Decided to check my belt because I thought I heard it chirping and it was at 1.5" deflection. Loosened axle bolt, tightened adjusters, got belt at 1.25 inches, aligned belt and checked tension again, torqued axle nut, checked deflection one more time then buttoned everything up. Checked my belt again just for the hell of it last week and it was back to 1.5" deflection at the tightest spot. Kinda lost on this one.
After you tightened the axle nut did you re-torque the adjuster nuts?
The only way the belt can loosen is if the axle moves forward. And I know even with a properly torqued axle nut, if you hit the throttle hard enough it will move the axle.
The adjuster nuts shouldn't move much, but it will ensure the axle can't move forward.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Watched, liked, commented. Well done again, Sir.

Skin

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
After you tightened the axle nut did you re-torque the adjuster nuts?
The only way the belt can loosen is if the axle moves forward. And I know even with a properly torqued axle nut, if you hit the throttle hard enough it will move the axle.
The adjuster nuts shouldn't move much, but it will ensure the axle can't move forward.
Just a thought.
I think you may be right. I only torqued the a adjuster nuts the first time I checked my belt (5 years ago) and didn't like how it messed my alignment up. I think the manual calls for torquing the adjustment bolts first then the axle nut. Would it be OK to torque down the axle nut first, put the bike on the ground and then do a final tightening of the adjusters?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I think you may be right. I only torqued the a adjuster nuts the first time I checked my belt (5 years ago) and didn't like how it messed my alignment up. I think the manual calls for torquing the adjustment bolts first then the axle nut. Would it be OK to torque down the axle nut first, put the bike on the ground and then do a final tightening of the adjusters?
I suspect you have this backwards. It would make no sense to torque the adjustment nuts first as doing so would change the belt tension dramatically as they would have no force other than the belt tension to resist the torquing. The steps are: adjust tension, adjust alignment, recheck tension, tighten axle nut, recheck tension and alignment, torque adjustment nuts, recheck tension and alignment. Okay, I'm a bit fixated on the tension and alignment :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I suspect you have this backwards. It would make no sense to torque the adjustment nuts first as doing so would change the belt tension dramatically as they would have no force other than the belt tension to resist the torquing. The steps are: adjust tension, adjust alignment, recheck tension, tighten axle nut, recheck tension and alignment, torque adjustment nuts, recheck tension and alignment. Okay, I'm a bit fixated on the tension and alignment :)

G'day,

Vinish
This is the process I follow, generally. But i i tighten the axel nut snug at first. check tension and alignment, then tighten a little tighter, recheck... the torque to 65 ft lbs, then torque the adjuster nuts.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You guys are right, looked over my notes from when I did my 500 mile adjustment. I guess it has been so long since I last messed with the belt I got things backwards. Looks like I'll be messing with the belt again this evening. Gotta get things right before I head out for my little 2 day BRP ride! Just looked at the weather forecast for Friday and Saturday, gonna be HOT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts