Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was a busy day.

I ended up making 2 videos, one to remove and then reinstall the front wheel from my 2014 Cross Country Tour, and the second was how I changed the tire and added the Centamatics wheel balancers.

You can watch my Wheel Removal video here, or you can click on my Tire Change video if you want to skip ahead.

Please let me know what you think.
Paul

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Excellent job (both videos)... as always.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
As always, great work on the videos!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great job Paul.....as always
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
nice job Paul. how did those wheel balancers work out ? you have them on the rear as well ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I just watched the videos at work with no sound , I was waiting for the balance system install but never saw it ....

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I too am interested in seeing how the centramatics are installed.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I just watched the videos at work with no sound , I was waiting for the balance system install but never saw it ....
Dudes, check out the 6:35 mark in Paul's second video, https://youtu.be/ewSycRk_eHw . The Centramatics just bolt on.

I've had those on my bike (front and rear) since this spring, and they work fine. I had them put on professionally (Zack's V-Twin, Hyde Park, NY), along with new tires put on there.

I didn't really have any problem with balance beads (which I had Menneto's put on, with assorted tire changes, for a couple years). I just got tired of having to pay for beads. I think the Centramatics may be even be better, though -- the bike is certainly planted now, and that includes that first ground-scraping track day I did this summer.

As I mentioned, I had the Centramatics installed for me. It certainly seems trivial to put them on, but I don't do my own tire work. I don't have a lift, scissor jack, tire changer, bead tools, etc. That said -- and this is for Paul -- it's certainly nice to get a feel for what the mechanics have to do, and what's involved in all this. Makes me a more knowledgeable consumer/owner, and I think that's always a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
their web site also have an install video for Victory but not as detailed as pauls. they are pricey too.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice job Paul. how did those wheel balancers work out ? you have them on the rear as well ?

Jim
Hi Jim, I just installed the balancers yesterday so I haven't had a chance yet to try them out. Yes I did install one on the back a couple of weeks ago when I installed my car tire. I didn't make a video as that would have been way to long and I would have received a lot of negativity for putting a car tire on a motorcycle.

They were the chrome metal disks that go between the rim and the brake rotor. They operate by a sealed channel filled with oil and ball bearings that constantly move around to offset any imbalance in the wheel. I have learned long ago that I can't use company names or peoples names without authorization on my videos, so now I say things like "I bought this at the local hardware store", or "a viewer on my site asks..." it's unfortunate that we have to do it but that's the way it is today.

See above reply.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i would be interested in see if you have any issues with the ABS after install. i am considering getting a tire changer from Harbour freight and doing my own tire changes. the dealer charhes WAY to much.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Jim , which model changer are you thinking of ?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
They were the chrome metal disks that go between the rim and the brake rotor. They operate by a sealed channel filled with oil and ball bearings that constantly move around to offset any imbalance in the wheel. I have learned long ago that I can't use company names or peoples names without authorization on my videos, so now I say things like "I bought this at the local hardware store", or "a viewer on my site asks..." it's unfortunate that we have to do it but that's the way it is today.
Thank you Paul . Jody

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i would be interested in see if you have any issues with the ABS after install. i am considering getting a tire changer from Harbour freight and doing my own tire changes. the dealer charhes WAY to much.
JP: as Paul mentioned, you may need a shim for the front sensor. The tech who put mine on half a year ago told me that he had to use one. We're just talking some thin washer, as I understand it. Not sure whether that's included with the Centramatics or not.

But the ABS light goes off at 6mph (or whatever that value is that the bike has to attain), and everything works normally, just as before.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Why is there only one centramatic used on the rear?
I realize the pulley is a 5 bolt pattern and the break side is 6 bolt pattern but could you not order another single centramatics for the front put it on the break side in the rear and have two on the rear also?

I only wonder cause I'm a little OCD about things being symmetrical if possible! I realize you can't see it and it's all in my head but I would always know and it would bother me!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Why is there only one centramatic used on the rear?
I realize the pulley is a 5 bolt pattern and the break side is 6 bolt pattern but could you not order another single centramatics for the front put it on the break side in the rear and have two on the rear also?

I only wonder cause I'm a little OCD about things being symmetrical if possible! I realize you can't see it and it's all in my head but I would always know and it would bother me!
ph: I'm pretty OCD, but it doesn't bother me -- go figure, different strokes, etc.

Maybe they use heavier ball bearings for the rear one. And, as you note, things are different back there -- pulley, only one brake caliper (not two, like the front), and so forth.

You could always ask them: Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic . Last fall, I played matchmaker between Centramatics and Zack's, contacting both. I had ridden down to Zack's, because I had heard good things about that shop. I talked to Zack, and they had never installed Centramatics, but were interested in the product. I emailed -- and maybe called -- Centramatics; they are very friendly folks. Anyway, I got them to touch base with Zack's, explain things to that shop, and the rest is history: went to Zack's in the spring, for the balancers and new tires.

So, give them a call or email them, and ask them, is my suggestion. Maybe they'll have a good answer for you, something I have no idea about.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Paul,

The videos are always awesome, my sincere appreciation!

I have used your videos in the past and they were very help full.

And if you're taking requests, I'm interested in a rear wheel removal video, with items such as do you jack up the bike high enough to lower wheel out or if you remove the rear fender and slide it back?

One of the reasons I like your videos so much is because it appears we have similar levels of resources and tools.

Kinda on equal footing, if you will!

Thanks again, always a top notch job!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Jim, I went on a short 30km ride in 7C sunny weather and the ABS light behaved normally.
It went out as soon as I left the driveway and stayed out the entire ride.
Everything looks good, still breaking in the new front tire so I had to take it easy with the cold roads.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paul,

The videos are always awesome, my sincere appreciation!

I have used your videos in the past and they were very help full.

And if you're taking requests, I'm interested in a rear wheel removal video, with items such as do you jack up the bike high enough to lower wheel out or if you remove the rear fender and slide it back?

One of the reasons I like your videos so much is because it appears we have similar levels of resources and tools.

Kinda on equal footing, if you will!

Thanks again, always a top notch job!
Thanks for your kind words, I really enjoy making these videos.
I just replaced my rear tire about 3 weeks ago with a car tire. That is one reason I didn't do a video about it.
The way I did it is to remove trunk and saddlebags because it's easier and lightens the rear end.
I used a scissor jack at the back of the engine to stand the bike up straight.
I removed the bottom lowering link bolt on the right side so the axle will go below the exhaust.
Extend the scissor jack so the rear tire is just touching the ground so there is no pressure on the axle.
Remove 27mm axle nut on left side and remove axle.
Move wheel forward a bit to remove the belt from the pulley.
Lift the rear end up high enough for the wheel to roll out under fender. You may have to slide out the brake caliper bracket so the tire can clear, it just slides out.

That's basically how I did it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts