Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot of people asking questions about various types of headlights, ranging from intensity, color temperature, beam pattern and cost.

In this video I took 4 different types of headlights that I have and tried to give you as much information as possible on each one.

And yes, two of them come from the LED Factory Mart in China.

I am not going to tell you which one is better, but to give you as much data so you can make an informed decision if you are looking for one.

Click here to watch my video.

I am not making any money from anyone, I am doing these videos for you.

Thank you
Paul Pomerleau

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Very enlightening Paul...thanks for that excellent production. What is the ordering spec for that plug in LED? There's more room in the CrossRoads headlight bucket for that unit and I like that feature where you can rotate the bulb for best pattern.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Checked out that site and learned that there is also a ballast. That might be a deal breaker as there's room in that headlight bucket, but maybe not that much.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Another good video Paul. My 2012 CCT came standard with the Victory factory (oem) HID headlight. I have yet to see a reason to change it out. Nothing I've ever seen posted anywhere has shown anything else with a wider, brighter or a better light pattern than the Victory factory HID light.

They're a bit expensive at $449 (MSRP) but they're awesome. Of course the usual good places to buy from give nice discounts from MSRP.

Thank you for your videos!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That foreign becon headlight had poor light output vs the OEM victory one
Yeah it was the lowest of the four tested.
However the specs do indicate that amount of light output.
I got this light just for this video because people were asking about it.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
Super video Paul.... always a pleasure looking and learning from your videos...

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

Reactions: grh450 and Pauljp

·
Registered
471 Posts
Paul, you are a credit to Victory owners everywhere, that's a lot of effort to educate us.
Thank you sir.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Thanks Paul, but I'm staying with my Victory HID from CrossRoads,
could you put that up as a comparison too.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
If anyone decides to buy the plug-in H11 LED, be careful and make sure they actually do have an alignment set screw like Paul shows. I have a pair of LED H11 lights but they do NOT have an alignment set screw so I cannot try this. I might just buy a set of those plug-ins that Paul linked and see how they work for me. His demo shows they spread the light much better than the ones I have.
@Pauljp Could you possibly tell me how those H11 LEDs in your demo are oriented? On mine, the LEDs are pointing right and left instead of up and down. and gives a very crappy pattern, almost like a floodlight...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another good video Paul. My 2012 CCT came standard with the Victory factory (oem) HID headlight. I have yet to see a reason to change it out. Nothing I've ever seen posted anywhere has shown anything else with a wider, brighter or a better light pattern than the Victory factory HID light.
Sorry to get off topic. My light is not LED but i wanted to respond to C. Mark.

I have the same bike and found it annoying that the stock light has an HID low beam only. The high beam is still halogen. For this reason i bought a high beam 5k from crossroads (victoryhid.com). It is way way way brighter than stock. Best money i spent on this bike yet. If i have the high beam on in the day time, i will get flashed by other drivers often. I thought the factory low beam was white in color but it almost appears yellow compared to the 5k high beam. When i ride with by buddy on his hd street glide 2014, i ride in front. His highbeam at night is a joke.

Adam

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Pauljp Could you possibly tell me how those H11 LEDs in your demo are oriented? On mine, the LEDs are pointing right and left instead of up and down. and gives a very crappy pattern, almost like a floodlight...
Sorry @broggyr I missed your question... Yes mine were facing left and right when tightly focused.
But I guess it all depends on the reflectors inside the housing.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Sorry @broggyr I missed your question... Yes mine were facing left and right when tightly focused.
But I guess it all depends on the reflectors inside the housing.
You may have missed mine too Pauljp, could you throw CRs VICTORY HID system into the comparo thanks, as that's what some of us are currently running and personally I'm very happy with mine.
But if there's something better I'd like to see it compared.
For me it's about being seen on low beam, as well as a good spread.
And on the high beam, distance penetration with the added spread of the combined low beam with minimal beam separation when both are on.
The blue spectrum on low makes my bike very highly visible on low in the daytime without blinding oncoming traffic.
To me it's perfect but if there's better I'd love to see a comparison.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You may have missed mine too Pauljp, could you throw CRs VICTORY HID system into the comparo thanks, as that's what some of us are currently running and personally I'm very happy with mine.
But if there's something better I'd like to see it compared.
For me it's about being seen on low beam, as well as a good spread.
And on the high beam, distance penetration with the added spread of the combined low beam with minimal beam separation when both are on.
The blue spectrum on low makes my bike very highly visible on low in the daytime without blinding oncoming traffic.
To me it's perfect but if there's better I'd love to see a comparison.
I don't have any HID's to try so I couldn't put them in my video.
From what everyone here is saying, HID's are the way to go for brightness and penetration.
The only reason I don't have them is because of the time it takes to ignite.
The low beam is not so bad as by the time you start your bike and get going it is lit.
But the high beam, when I need it, I need it now and don't want to wait 5-10 seconds for it to come on.
Now unless something has changed since the last time I saw HID's and they are now instant-on then that is the way I will go.
However, they are not a lot of money, so maybe I will someday get a couple and try them out again to see for myself.

·
Registered
173 Posts
:kiss I wonder if Crossroads would be willing to donate a set for evaluation purposes.....

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I just bought a set of the LEDs that Paul linked to; figured for $50 it was worth a shot. If they don't work, I'll resell them. I really like LED because of the instant-on. The HID takes 15-30 seconds to get up to full brightness, so they are no good for flash-to-pass...

Reactions: Pauljp

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I don't have any HID's to try so I couldn't put them in my video.
From what everyone here is saying, HID's are the way to go for brightness and penetration.
The only reason I don't have them is because of the time it takes to ignite.
The low beam is not so bad as by the time you start your bike and get going it is lit.
But the high beam, when I need it, I need it now and don't want to wait 5-10 seconds for it to come on.
Now unless something has changed since the last time I saw HID's and they are now instant-on then that is the way I will go.
However, they are not a lot of money, so maybe I will someday get a couple and try them out again to see for myself.
The delay for high beam is only longer the first time it's engaged. And it's not as if you're in the dark as low beam is still on.
Once the high beam has been armed it flicks back and forth from low to high with no delay.
I ride Australian bush roads so if it's good enough for me it's good for anywhere.
City dwellers will be on low beam most of the time and will experience a slight delay switching up to high.
But where it matters I'm on high beam most of the time, only dipping to low for oncoming vehicles and once they are past I get instant high beam again.
Dunno about this flash to pass business, I put my blinker on check over my shoulder then hit the throttle and pass and I'm gone.
Zapping the car ahead with high beam before I pass isn't gonna achieve anything except maybe annoy the driver.
It's not a practice I engage in.
The conditions I ride in are the ultimate test for a light and CRs VICTORY HID does the job quite well.
I'd still like to see the spread, penetration, and separation of beams compared though, as if there is something better I'd possibly use it.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
There must be much more traffic where I am. If I turn off my high beam HID, and don't use it for like 5 minutes, it has to warm up all over again, slowly gaining in intensity until its at operating temp. I have the VictoryHID (right now in low-beam only).

I typically never actually use flash-to-pass, but if I needed it to remind an oncoming car that his brights are on, or if I want to signal a truck it's OK to move over, I have to use my driving lights.

Sounds like we just have two very different use cases. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: SkInM4N
1 - 20 of 80 Posts