Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A viewer asked if I can make a video to construct a quarter turn throttle ring for the Victory motorcycle.
I realize that you can purchase these items, but with the added expenses of shipping, exchange rates and brokerage fees to other countries it gets too high.
And sometimes it is just more relaxing and enjoyable to have the satisfaction of making your own.

You can watch my video here.

Let me know what you think.
Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
cool! yes one of the best uses of $.99 for me!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another excellent video Paul! Now I know why The Witchdoctor has your vid's posted on his site! Thanks for helping folks out!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Paul,

You make what are probably the best motorcycle maintenance and modification videos available for ANY bike brand. I am particularly impressed with your well rehearsed verbal delivery of your script. You don't stutter or have any "ummms" or get lost for words. You are VERY professional. Well done and keep up the great work.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul,

You make what are probably the best motorcycle maintenance and modification videos available for ANY bike brand. I am particularly impressed with your well rehearsed verbal delivery of your script. You don't stutter or have any "ummms" or get lost for words. You are VERY professional. Well done and keep up the great work.

G'day,

Vinish
Thanks for the very kind words Vinish, but every time I make a mistake I just edit it out. :rolleyes:
I wish real life was like that.
I should post a blooper video. :D

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The mere fact that you do edit out mistakes and do multiple takes is further evidence of your professionalism.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Paul another nice video. one question........what are the dimensions? you gave the overall thickness and the width of the groove but how deep is the groove? And how wide is the C notch opening in the ring? thks

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Paul another nice video. one question........what are the dimensions? you gave the overall thickness and the width of the groove but how deep is the groove? And how wide is the C notch opening in the ring? thks
The depth of the groove is not that important, the cables are tight after it is installed and the groove is simply there to line them up and keep them from sliding off, I just made it deep enough for that.

As for the cutout opening, it is actually 90 degrees, I made it a tad smaller so I could sand the ends a bit to make a perfect fit when installing. It's better that way than if it was too big.

But that is just me, I take my time, even if it is all day to make sure it is right, it relaxes me and makes me feel better.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've seen home made PCV 1/4 turn throttle rings for other bikes on other forums but this one is done right. With this in depth setup you could mass produce these things with very little change in tolerance as you go. The others always seemed a little sketchy to me, a stuck throttle is never a nice surprise. This is as close to the mass produced aluminum part I've ever seen. Great job Paul, on the throttle ring and the video!

Tech23

·
Registered
426 Posts
The depth of the groove is not that important, the cables are tight after it is installed and the groove is simply there to line them up and keep them from sliding off, I just made it deep enough for that.

As for the cutout opening, it is actually 90 degrees, I made it a tad smaller so I could sand the ends a bit to make a perfect fit when installing. It's better that way than if it was too big.

But that is just me, I take my time, even if it is all day to make sure it is right, it relaxes me and makes me feel better.
Sorry for resurrecting an old post but I have a question. For the cut out you say "it is actually 90 degrees". What does that mean? You still are not saying how much of the ring you cut to make the opening. Why am I so confused?
OK found a pic of a circle and 90 degrees and I now understand what you mean. How do I mark 90 degrees on the ring to cut it? Also you are super precise with your tools which I don't have. How precise does this have to be?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
not extremely precise, did mine with a hacksaw and hand grinder

Reactions: jwfuchs1 and BenD

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
God I make things hard for myself. I figured out what I need to do.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well for my 06 Vegas the diameter of the coupling must need to be different as it is to big to get together with it on.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
what do you mean "get together" the pcv just goes over where the cable goes, not all the way around. if it doesnt fit back in there i think some of the older ones needed a little trimming

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
426 Posts
what do you mean "get together" the pcv just goes over where the cable goes, not all the way around. if it doesnt fit back in there i think some of the older ones needed a little trimming
The 2 sides of the housing wouldn't go back together after I put the ring on. It fit fine over the throttle tube and the cables fell into place but when I went to reassemble the housings wouldn't go back together.

·
Registered
471 Posts
On my cross bike there's and indexing hole in the handle bar and an index pin on the upper throttle housing. Make sure they are aligned when you are reassembling the housing. That may be holding it open on you

1 - 20 of 45 Posts